-
Snapper replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Wow! You guys respond quickly! @lightningmouse, you hit one of the main points why I write. To write what doesn’t exist. Sure, I’m probably not writing about a story with cyberpunk technology, but if something doesn’t exist.
I heard it once said, “If there a book you want to read, and it hasn’t been written yet, write it.” Don’t ask me who said…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
And finally, because I want a certain story but can’t find anything like it for the life of me.
Yeeeeess. That’s also a big one.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Ooh, let’s see. I write because…
It’s a challenge that’s always elusive but ever rewarding.
I just love stories. Kinda funny that way.
I would get kicked off KP if I didn’t.
I know that stories are greatly inspiring and this is the is a great way for me to do that for other people.
I know that art is God’s thingy and that I can bring Him glory…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@kate-flournoy Yeah, it should be fun. I have a suspicion it will become one of my main genres, though I doubt I will cling to it solely. There’s just too many genres to try out there.
By the way, maybe I should ask for general advice on writing fantasy. Since I still have to write my time travel story, it’s not in my mind much nowadays, but I…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
I write to discover, I guess. Writing for me is a quest of sorts— discover truths, polish them until they shine, then bury them again for someone else to discover. It helps me understand the world and the nature of truth and the nature of God, and as such I guess it’s a form of worship.
I also write because if I didn’t my head would probably…[Read more]
-
Snapper started the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hey, everyone!
I was just thinking about writing (granted, I’m always thinking about writing, but that’s beside the point). Why do we do it? Why do we want to put a bunch of words onto a page; make remixes of the Dictionary? What motivates us?
Writer’s Block, in my opinion, is just lack of motivation, so, I was thinking that each of us writers…[Read more] -
Snapper started the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hey, everyone!
I was just thinking about writing (granted, I’m always thinking about writing, but that’s beside the point). Why do we do it? Why do we want to put a bunch of words onto a page; make remixes of the Dictionary? What motivates us?
Writer’s Block, in my opinion, is just lack of motivation, so, I was thinking that each of us writers…[Read more] -
Snapper started the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hey, everyone!
I was just thinking about writing (granted, I’m always thinking about writing, but that’s beside the point). Why do we do it? Why do we want to put a bunch of words onto a page; make remixes of the Dictionary? What motivates us?
Writer’s Block, in my opinion, is just lack of motivation, so, I was thinking that each of us writers…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
This sounds like a great book, @clairec! My suggestions, if you will accept, are these.
When the Japanese bomb Darwin, she is finally allowed to become an army nurse.
I had to read this at least ten times, thinking that the Japanese bomb was named Darwin. You might want to put, ‘When the Japanese bomb Darwin, Australia, she is finally allowed…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
Hmmm…maybe. I might be more interested in reading a book like that if it had more about the character’s personality or struggles on there. Though I don’t know if that’s something you could put on it or not…
And also, if the Japanese bombing Darwin isn’t something that really happened, I don’t know if I’d like it; I don’t care all that much…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Yay! Welcome to the inner circle, @Daeus! *confetti, balloons* Prepare to lose what little sanity you still possess. I don’t know what it is about writing fantasy, but the creativity required is addicting. I haven’t been able to return to historical fiction. *gasp**ominous oboe music* This is the point of no return.
Um… yeah. Books? Let’s…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@ClaireC it sounds very interesting— not the typical nurse/patriot/combat story premise, which perhaps is what you meant when you said ‘alternative… premise’?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@Claire-C it sounds very interesting— not the typical nurse/patriot/combat story premise, which perhaps is what you meant when you said ‘alternative… premise’?
-
Snapper replied to the topic The Next Book Choosing in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
*shakes head* Little Women is kinda long…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@clairec I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “alternative history”. If you just mean historical fiction, I think this sounds like a cool book. If you mean you are going to totally mix up major historical events, that’s probably not the best idea.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Oh yeah, and I’ve read the chronicles of Narnia of course too.
Made up creatures aren’t super important to me, though I think they’re cool.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Thanks everybody. These look like good suggestions. And I have already read the Hobbit and LOTR, but I may read them again.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Well, since your making your own creatures, I would say the Chronicles of Narnia, but most of us have memorized them. 🙂 I second @hope‘s suggestion as Lord of the Rings. However, Lord of the Rings is really long and I don’t know if you have time to do that…the Hobbit is much shorter. Ranger’s Apprentice is fantasy-ish. He makes up his own…[Read more]
-
Daeus started the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone,
So a while back I came up with this crazy idea. I decided was going to write a fantasy book. Don’t ask me how, but I just came to the conclusion that these two story ideas I had in my head belonged in another world.
Problem is, I’m not a big fantasy reader and I need to get more familiar with the genre. So.. I come to you nice…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus ha. 😀 Done. I’ve forgotten it already.
(Matthew thanks you).
- Load More
