-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper good point, but may I point out that they’re not talking about swearing. They’re talking about similes. Likening something to heaven or to hell, not saying ‘by heaven’ or ‘by hell’.
Yeah. 😀
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@bluejay @jess @dragon-snapper I got 512 written, which I think is my best this week since I was only here for about 45 minutes of my normal hour.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy That is true. I suppose that one would say about a favorite desert, “This is heavenly,” that makes sense. Then it just goes back to Romans 14.
About what @winter-rose said. Yes, we need to be careful; and this too, we need to be sensitive to whom our audience is. Children don’t need their heads in that stuff. Teens don’t need to be…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flournoy That is true. I suppose that one would say about a favorite desert, “This is heavenly,” that makes sense. Then it just goes back to Romans 14.
About what @winter-rose said. Yes, we need to be careful; and this too, we need to be sensitive to whom our audience is. Children don’t need their heads in that stuff. Teens don’t need to be…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flournoy That is true. I suppose that one would say about a favorite desert, “This is heavenly.” that makes sense. Then it just goes back to Romans 14, then.
About what @winter-rose said. Yes, we need to be careful; and this too, we need to be sensitive to whom our audience is. Children don’t need their heads in that stuff. Teens don’t need…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper good point, but may I point out that they’re not talking about swearing. They’re talking about similes. Likening something to heaven or to hell, not saying ‘by heaven’ or ‘by hell’.
In which case, by the way, I would also tend to agree with @Winter-Rose.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
On similes using heaven and hell, I think its ok sparingly. The reason I say sparingly is because you don’t want to trivialize heaven and hell into a byword.
Here I must disagree with you, though I’m glad you agreed with me first off.
God specifically tells us not to swear by heaven or e…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
On similes using heaven and hell, I think its ok sparingly. The reason I say sparingly is because you don’t want to trivialize heaven and hell into a byword.
Here I must disagree with you, though I’m glad you agreed with me first off.
God specifically tells us not to swear by heaven or e…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
On similes using heaven and hell, I think its ok sparingly. The reason I say sparingly is because you don’t want to trivialize heaven and hell into a byword.
Here I must disagree with you, though I’m glad you agreed with me first off.
God specifically tells us not to swear by heaven or earth. VERY S…[Read more] -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
3. It doesn’t glorify God. In my opinion, as Christian writers and putting that seems like we show that we don’t mind it. Do not be conformed to this world. I’m not saying that you/we are if we use it, but God very clearly does not want us to use that in any instance. Yes, characters make mistakes, but it leaves me, personally, going away with…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
3. It doesn’t glorify God. In my opinion, as Christian writers and putting that seems like we show that we don’t mind it. Do not be conformed to this world. I’m not saying that you/we are if we use it, but God very clearly does not want us to use that in any instance. Yes, characters make mistakes, but it leaves me, personally, going away with…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus @bluejay @winter-rose Here I am!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@bluejay @winter-rose I’ll be joining too.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus Well, I don’t think that cursing or coarse language should be in a book, or in movies, or anywhere. I have a few reason that I’d like to point out (please keep in mind that I haven’t read much of the other points that people have made. )
1. When I read, words stand out to me. Each word has a meaning. So, the word stays in my head for…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus Well, I don’t think that cursing or coarse language should be in a book, or in movies, or anywhere. I have a few reason that I’d like to point out (please keep in mind that I haven’t read any of the other points that people have made.
1. When I read, words stand out to me. Each word has a meaning. So, the word stays in my head for whatever…[Read more] -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic So, um, "hi" guys in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@NatalieMarie Hi! *wild waving*
What’s your favorite genre?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic So, um, "hi" guys in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
Hellooooo @NatalieMarie! Welcome! You will not regret joining; this place is truly amazing.
I’m Kate, by the way. *sticks out hand* In case you can’t tell by my profile pic, I’m a dragon. But don’t worry. I don’t breathe fire (often) and I keep my claws trimmed. How else can I type? 😛
*ahem* Yes. We’re a tad crazy here. 😉 What are some of your…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
This topic never gets old.
Great points, @Christi-Eaton and @Winter-Rose and @Daeus. I tend to agree with all that has been said so far, but I think I also tend to take a more cautious view of it. Language doesn’t bother me in a book so long as it’s not all over the place. I can block it. But there are those who can’t. And for the sake of those…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic So, um, "hi" guys in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@nataliemarie Hi to you. Actually, welcome to the bestistest place on the internet. We’re glad to have you.
- Load More
