-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so for the first one, basically I’m setting up the difference between my MC and this other character (I’ll call him character A). It’s very important that this group of other characters come view my MC as representing their interests and character A as being against them. The impression needs to be very strong so the…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic So, um, "hi" guys in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@NatalieMarie Neato.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Hey Guys, Hi, um…. in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@Leumeister How long have you been writing?
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Of Bad Guys and Beasts in the forum Fantasy 9 years, 10 months ago
Well, I just learned from a trusted source (Wikapedia, to be precise) that sluagh are not the the made up creatures I or my mother thought them to be, but are, in fact, demented spirits that suck the souls out of men.
So, yeah. I think I’ll stick with slua.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Of Bad Guys and Beasts in the forum Fantasy 9 years, 10 months ago
Well, I just learned from a trusted source (Wikapedia, to be precise) that sluagh are not the the made up creatures I or my mother thought them to be, but are, in fact, demented spirits that suck the souls out of men.
So, yeah. I think I’ll stick with slua.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Aquila in the forum Sci-Fi 9 years, 10 months ago
@leumeister Peering earthward over her snout. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus hm, yeah. That’s a puzzler. I would probably not do that, for the sake of my conscience and because I wouldn’t want to get accustomed to having bad words on my lips, even if they aren’t mine.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy True.
Now, here’s a related question I’ve struggled with. Is it ok to read curse words from a script? I’m thinking in a play particularly. The trick is, they’re not your own words, they’re the words of a non-existent character, but you’re speaking them out of your own mouth. I know I did a small study in theater during high school…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus true. I guess I meant more that to acknowledge their existence by saying ‘he cursed’ is not the same as actually putting all the lurid details down on the page.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@warrioroftherealm For question one, I’ll answer for the two that I that I feel are important. The other’s I can probably whip up a replacement for. The first is from an antagonist, though not quite villain. He curses another man. It’s not at all necessary to make him appear bad, but it does play an important role as a foil and, more importantly,…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus that’s a good idea about the content advisory.
I don’t quite agree with comparing curse words to romance or violence or any other more ‘normal’ sin, as their crime is not their existence, but spelling out their filthiness on the page. With ‘romance’ and violence, you can put as many or few details in as you like. With a curse word, it’s…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Thanks everyone for the great input.
I thought I’d start off by addressing the big point everyone had about not causing a more sensitive reader to stumble. I agree. Infact, I’ve got about 7,000 words worth of two articles on the subject that I’ll hopefully get published here as soon as I get around to the last revisions and submission. As I’ve…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Thanks everyone for the great input.
I thought I’d start off by addressing the big point everyone had about not causing a more sensitive reader to stumble. I agree. Infact, I’ve got about 7,000 words worth of two articles on the subject that I’ll hopefully get published here as soon as I get around to the last revisions and submission. As I’ve…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic So, um, "hi" guys in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@NatalieMarie Both. 😀
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Kate-Flournoy We’re good. 😀
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus @Dragon-Snapper I think it would be better for just avoiding any confusion if those similes weren’t used at all. I know one can’t always (nor should necessarily always) avoid everything that could potentially be confusing, but it would perhaps be better to just use different similes.
I don’t think it’s wrong to use them though, as far as…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
*cough* Sorry sis. Didn’t stop to think about whether you wanted to answer that or not. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hey Guys, Hi, um…. in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@Leumeister that’s pretty cool… I haven’t done any animation though. Just artwork; digital painting. Also some book cover design. 😉 Comes in handy when one is a writer, don’t you think? 😀
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus I worked on a character map and wrote half of a notebook page description of a certain setting or another. Mostly, I was actually on the course-language topic. Woops. 😛 And good job! Glad its coming back!
@jess @bluejay I’m still going for a bit. I need to get something productive done, like plot… - Load More
