-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Hey Guys, Hi, um…. in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@Leumeister Sounds like some interesting stuffs. I…do see a pattern. 😛
I’m not sure if whole stories are allowed to be posted on the forum; @Daeus probably does. You could post an excerpt though, just for us to read a bit.
I know, reading immature writing (especially if it’s your own 😛 ) can be so funny. -
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@writefury Blazing Barnacles!!!
@daeus You asked me earlier…
“My qeustion is–is it the same thing to have a character swear as to do it yourself? Then, if so, is it also wrong to have an innocent person die in your story?”No, I don’t think it’s the same thing, but people who aren’t Christians might see it another way. We are to…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@writefury Blazing Barnacles!!!
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus On concern of replacement words, just use things that people might say that fits their personality. So, if a villain were saying it, he’d probably use something closer to ‘rats’ or something like that. If a hero were saying it, he’d probably end up saying ‘Grumpy giraffes.’
Sure thing, @daeus. 😀
@warrioroftherealm Don’t worry, I know…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus On concern of replacement words, just use things that people might say that fits their personality. So, if a villain were saying it, he’d probably use something closer to ‘rats’ or something like that. If a hero were saying it, he’d probably end up saying ‘Grumpy giraffes.’
Sure thing, @daeus. 😀
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@mark-kamibaya Sorry. Nothing to attack. Well, at least, I don’t disagree with what you said. If you read through all the comments though, you’ll find my reasons for why I don’t think it is not necessarily wrong to write something that might cause a particularly sensitive person to stumble. The reason is it’s practically impossible to avoid…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Ok, folks. How about I complicate things more for ya?
So I was thinking about the whole audiobook dilemma and suddenly this verse popped into my mind (memorizing verses is dangerous). It was Ephesians 4:29. You’ll probably recognize this verse. It’s the one that talks about not saying corrupt stuff, but being edifying. Now, without going all…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy Alright. I’ve decided to take tonight off myself, but I’ll be back next week.
For anyone else though that wants to do a write-athon tomorrow, I’ll be doing it. I just can’t remember what Kate’s normal times are, so I’ll be making up the schedule as I go.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus just thought I’d let you know I won’t be write-a-thoning tomorrow— no success hunting today, so I’m going out again tomorrow. I did get lots of outlining done though. 😉
-
Emma Flournoy posted an update 9 years, 10 months ago
@Rolena-Hatfield Hey, I really appreciate you. 😀 You always seem so happy and friendly no matter what you’re talking about, and I love seeing the emphasis you’ve put in some of your posts on honoring parents.
It’s really inspiring to see someone who acts with such lovely character all the time; sometimes convicting, too. 😛 Thanks so much for…[Read more] -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus Oh cool! An audio of your own book…that’d be exciting.
I know what you’re saying about a person reading the whole book as opposed to an actor representing the specific character, but I don’t think the issue of the person reading the book for the audio is the only problem. I thought it might be bad if the word was said out loud at all,…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@rolena-hatfield Ah, yes. I don’t think any of my smilies have that problem, but it’s a good point.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper Good point. Some of those other sins are really necessary to a plot, while swearings isn’t so much. I don’t think I’d say that swearing can never advance the plot though. My point isn’t to say that swearing is necessary (it isn’t) but that including it in a book is not the same as doing it yourself. So, let’s take the example of…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@draggon-snapper Good point. Some of those other sins are really necessary to a plot, while swearings isn’t so much. I don’t think I’d say that swearing can never advance the plot though. My point isn’t to say that swearing is necessary (it isn’t) but that including it in a book is not the same as doing it yourself. So, let’s take the example of…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus I would never read a curse word from a script, whether play or book. Something you could consider (though it’s kinda minor) about whether or not to put the words in your writing is, what if someone were to make an audiobook or movie out of your story (pretend for a minute that’s likely to happen. 😛 Ya never know!), they’d have to say the…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
“”2. What words are you using? The D-word, or something worse? I would say that the D-word is the one word that is the least bad of all the cuss words that exist (not saying that it’s right, but that it is not as terrible as saying the S-word or something). “”
No, it’s not right, and it’s not as harsh as other words, but r…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
2. What words are you using? The D-word, or something worse? I would say that the D-word is the one word that is the least bad of all the cuss words that exist (not saying that it’s right, but that it is not as terrible as saying the S-word or something).
No, it’s not right, and it’s not as harsh as other words, b…
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
2. What words are you using? The D-word, or something worse? I would say that the D-word is the one word that is the least bad of all the cuss words that exist (not saying that it’s right, but that it is not as terrible as saying the S-word or something).
No, it’s not right, and it’s not as harsh as other words, but r…
-
Snapper replied to the topic Coarse language in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
2. What words are you using? The D-word, or something worse? I would say that the D-word is the one word that is the least bad of all the cuss words that exist (not saying that it’s right, but that it is not as terrible as saying the S-word or something).
No, it’s not right, and it’s not as harsh as other words, but r…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Of Bad Guys and Beasts in the forum Fantasy 9 years, 10 months ago
Ehh… yeah. I’d say so 😛
- Load More

@Rolena-Hatfield I didn’t say something wrong did I? Of course an answer isn’t required, but I wondered… 😉
@emma-flournoy Oh Emma! For some reason I wasn’t notified of your first (really sweet 😉 ) comment! Of course you didn’t say something wrong! That’s very sweet of you to say and encouraging. Honoring my parents is sooooo important to me (as it should be) but very difficult to do sometimes. My posts have even been convicting to me. (I said this I…[Read more]
@Rolena-Hatfield Whew! I didn’t think there was anything there you would have taken offense at…certainly not. 😛 I thought it might have been malfunctioning notifications, but wasn’t sure. Mebbe I just should’ve tagged you again, instead of making you think I was afraid I’d offended you. *sheepish grin*
Anyway, you are so welcome; you’re such a…[Read more]