-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy I’ll try to stop in soon, in which case I’ll probably go later. I may also have to leave abruptly at any time, so I don’t know how this is gonna go.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@Daeus @Dragon-Snapper I’m writing… join in. How far do you guys wanna go? I’m going till 9:45, but don’t feel obligated.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
About starting off with the theme thing, I mean.
Yeah. That.
Obviously I can’t take credit for you being an all around awesome person.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@Emma-Flournoy *beams proudly* I have taught you well, my young apprentice.
XD
-
Emma Flournoy posted an update 9 years, 9 months ago
@His-Instrument Have you finished reading Les Miserables yet?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Help? Does this sound like a good idea? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 9 months ago
@HowlingWolf It sounds like you’ve done a good job on characterization already. 😀 Manuel and Lilly have stolen my heart.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
The best kind are undoubtedly those that don’t raise false expectations. So specific, I know. 😛 But I’d much rather have an unexciting one than one that makes me really excited and then doesn’t satisfy.
For good ones though, the kind that start off either with a great dialogue line or action are catching, if truly funny or intelligent or…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@Daeus what, the one that goes ‘The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living’ one? I’m not sure I remembered that right, but it was the best I could do on short notice… 😛
@Dragon-Snapper what they said— questions. Not necessarily something gaudy or high-tension— just questions.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@dragon-snapper Aha, but not anymore.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@daeus Go to recent forum topics. There are two topics of this.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
@dragon-snapper This isn’t my strength either, but getting the reader to ask a question is definitely a good idea. A lot of the time, writing instructors will tell you to start things off with a bang, but I’m not so sure about that. For myself, I’m neutral about bangs. I like the bang, but in other ways it seems just a little pushy and most of all…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
I only see one
-
Snapper replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
Ahh! How’d I make two of those? @daeus Are you able to delete the other one? 😛 Oops.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
Ahh! How’d I make two of those? @daeus Are you able to delete the other one. 😛 Oops.
-
Snapper started the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
This has nothing to do with catching trout. No, but it has to do with our hook. The first sentence, page, paragraph, chapter.
I’ve lost he fine art of coming up with a good hook, so, if you all have any tips, that would be most appreciated. In addition, if you have a book that has a great hook/starter sentence, then I would be glad to see those…[Read more] -
Snapper started the topic Catching Trout in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
This has nothing to do with catching trout. No, but it has to do with our hook. The first sentence, page, paragraph, chapter.
I’ve lost he fine art of coming up with a good hook, so, if you all have any tips, that would be most appreciated. In addition, if you have a book that has a great hook/starter sentence, then I would be glad to see those…[Read more] -
Snapper started the topic in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 9 months ago
This has nothing to do with catching trout. No, but it has to do with our hook. The first sentence, page, paragraph, chapter.
I’ve lost he fine art of coming up with a good hook, so, if you all have any tips, that would be most appreciated. In addition, if you have a book that has a great hook/starter sentence, then I would be glad to see those…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Attack this, please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 9 months ago
@daeus one last suggestion about the final sentence.
he is forced to confront everything he fights for shattered, everything he cherishes put to the test, and a long-hidden truth that will threaten his life.
I think that there should be a ‘being’ between ‘for’ and ‘shattered’. There needs to be some sort of verb there.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Help? Does this sound like a good idea? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 9 months ago
@HowlingWolf Well I wish I did, but I don’t write books so…no. 😛
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Attack this, please in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 9 months ago
@Daeus That’s great! One last thing I noticed is this though—the third and fourth sentence both have the same structure. The structure Kate pointed out. So maybe change one of them; I think it’d sound better. You cleared up any confusion though, and I love the last sentence.
- Load More
