-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Ethryndal oh boy, I hadn’t even thought of that angle. 😛 Thanks a lot. XD The LotR films had their share of problems and didn’t come anywhere close to the books, but I still loved them, and I’m still trying to figure out how the same man directed the Hobbit films. Maybe we should start a rant thread just for that. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus ah, okay. Got it. *tries to remember where she got her information**fails*
My pleasure, @Dragon-Snapper! Glad it was helpful. 🙂
-
Daeus replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
I don’t think anyone on here has traditionally published, so I may as well go ahead and say something. First off, you don’t need a literary agent, but from what I understand it is normally very helpful to have one. Also, it is generally accepted that you won’t be able to get with any sort of large publisher until you have already done well with at…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy @daeus @aratrea Wowzers! Awesome advice, guys! I used the summary of K. M. Weiland’s three plot structure thingy and that actually deepened my theme. And Kate, I’m copying that down too. Thank you all!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
Ok, here’s what Wikipedia says.
An alpha reader or beta reader, also pre-reader or critiquer, is a non-professional reader who reads a written work, generally fiction, with the intent of looking over the material to find and improve elements such as grammar and spelling, as well as suggestions to improve the story, its characters, or its setting.…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Hey, I’ve read the Eagle of the Ninth! 😛
@charisetter The only thing that sounds familiar to me is the pet wolf…it was in some roman book I’ve read before (was it Eagle of the Ninth or was that Beric the Briton?) -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@Charisetter what they said, but YOU’VE READ EAGLE OF THE NINTH!??? *high fives you* Nobody’s read that! Congratulations on your impeccable taste! 😀 Have you read the other two?
Also one tip for your original question— since this is fantasy, your worldbuilding and cultural development will go a long way to making your story unique. Not as…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aysia-Serene @Daeus I could be wrong, but I think a beta-reader is more specifically a READER, not a writer— not to give you feedback as a writer or editor would, but as a reader would. Which means technically, everyone on KP who exchanges reads for each other, is a critique partner, not a beta-reader. Beta-readers are specifically to sound out…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@aysia-serene It’s someone who reads your story after it is written and give you critique on it. Basically, they’re editors, only normally not professional and you normally have them in addition to an editor.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@charisetter I wouldn’t worry too much about being cliche. The most important thing is that your character’s journey is very real and intense. It’s ok to copy genres, you just want to display something powerful. Now, that said, you shouldn’t copy people too much. It’s good to use unusual plot twists and other story elements.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aratrea Okay. After being in another State for two days, away from internet, I’m back. The story I’ve chosen is Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
Theme: Wealth and Poverty
Focusing Question: Are riches required to be happy?
Message: Good friends and a content heart can bring joy in the poorest circumstances.
I just watched Video 4, but you’re…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Emma-Flournoy Hey, maybe if you’re a Dunadain, you mature faster! 😛
@Kate-Flournoy Ha! Yes, that entire spiel about, “You cannot be she, for she is far away. *sappy music* Far, far away from me,” was just cringe worthy. The thing about that triangle that bothered me most was that it totally undermined how incredible the Legolas Gimli…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@jess Wow! That’s a good amount of words! Thanks for writing. 😀
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@jess I think that I’ll stop now, but I was able to get a lot of world-building done. Aaaand, I finished a notebook tonight, so now I get to bring out another…yay! How’d you do?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Sierra-R But now whenever something hurts so much, you can say why does it, and your sibling can reply Because it was real! and you can have a good laugh. (Or groan.) 😀 That makes stubbing toes a lot funner.
At least Thranduil was well-acted, though he had some stupid things to say.
Something else that makes me groan is the Aragorn…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@jess I’ll join you!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Winter-Rose ha! Not at all. My pleasure. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
Yes. I haven’t written up a formula for that one yet.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
Yep, there’s also the disillusionment arc. I think that covers all the arcs.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Winter-Rose nope, looks good. I would make the distinction that for a flat arc, the arc is actually the plot/surroundings changing to fit the truth of the character, not the other way around as it is with the other arcs.
- Load More
