-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@Charisetter Definitely what everyone else said. *very knowing nod*
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Ethryndal Dat must be it.
@Sierra-R Hey, it’s okay, I adore that music too. Even if it’s associated with some silly lines. Not all their lines were sappy anyway…they got crazier as it went, but they weren’t all bad.
The Hobbit movies still have TONS of awesome stuff in them, even if they have a fair amount of unawesome stuff. Trust me, I…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Ethryndal four nights in row! 😮
Are you and @Dragon-Snapper both Kylo Ren freaks? -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Ethryndal four nights in row! :O
Are you and @Dragon-Snapper both Kylo Ren freaks? -
Snapper replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@daeus Yeeahh…the thing is, I gave pretty much each of the MC’s, good and bad, a ‘theme’. So it might be a bit less than that, but thank goodness for this course. Without it there would be no theme whatsoever.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@dragon-snapper Wow. Well, sounds promising.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
1. Rebellion
2. Good vs Evil
3. Man vs Self
4. Abuse of Power
5. Effects of the Past
6. Courage
7. Arrogance
I forgot one. 😛
@daeus -
Ethryndal replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
*evil chuckle* I’m wearing my fireproof elven cloak, @Dragon-Snapper! But no spoilers. Yet. 😉 Force Awakens has appeased my suspense…for you…or something like that. (that sounded better in my head) I seriously watched that movie four nights in a row.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@draggon-snapper What are the six?
-
Daeus replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
@northerner Ah, yes. Well, here’s some ideas.
1. You can point out some highly successful self-published book. I’m thinking of The Martian, but there are others. Just do a google search.
2. Point out how traditional publishing has changed. They now expect you to essentially sell most of your books for them.
3. Point out how self-publishing has…[Read more] -
Ethryndal replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
Okay, I’m reading that book now.
@Charisetter I can’t really tell you about not copying scenes, because I have been known to do that in my somewhat shady writing past. 😉 However, I will say that even if there’s a really good scene that makes you feel a certain way and you want your readers to feel the same, so you sort-of-kind-of copy it (I…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
No! Not Rogue One yet…please, no one say anything, or I will melt them. No, I just saw the Force Awakens for the millionth time. @ethryndal
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
ROGUE ONE?!?!? *ahem* Not that I care… 😉 I’m striking down my ignorance so my journey to the Write Side will be complete. (that’s not at all cheesy 😛 *cough* sarcasm *cough*)
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@ethryndal Excellent. *steeples fingers and chuckles* Soon your training will be complete. (sorry, I just watched Star Wars again) 😛
-
Snapper replied to the topic Fantasy Story Idea in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@northerner Same; I haven’t read the Eagle for years. Though I do want to read it again. And Henty can be very dry…Beric was the only one that I thoroughly enjoyed, and that’s mainly because of the arena scene.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
I’m so glad this thread happened. I’ve always sort-of-kind-of (if you know what I mean 🙂 ) known what a character arc is, but not in a coherent way. My mind has been expanded.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
@northerner Part of the change might come in profits. An author receives all of the money from the book if they self-publish. Also, they may want freedom to do what they want (I know I do.) I know that our culture in the US is very much supportive of independent folks, so that may be part of the self-publishing. Also, it seems as if much more…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
@northerner Part of the change might come in profits. An author receives all of the money from the book if they self-publish. Also, they may want freedom to do what they want (I know I do.) I know that our culture in the US is very much supportive of independent folks, so that may be part of the self-publishing. Also, it seems as if much more…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
@dragon-snapper Yeah, I really don’t think traditional publishing is the option for most people, though, like Josiah said, there are some benefits. These benefits aren’t really worth it though in most cases. I mean, you can get your own book in bookstores, advances aren’t normally very big anyways, and not many people care whether a book is…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
@daeus Wow…you single-handedly made me want to self-publish and never let a traditional publisher get a hold of my books. 😛
- Load More
