-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Hey @aratrea, I have a question: I’m trying to come up with Experiments in Living, and I’m finding that most of them look exactly like possible answers to a Focusing Question. How do I know the difference, is there a difference, or am I doing something completely wrong?
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Emma-Flournoy I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the extended edition, but there was this scene of their funeral and *lowers voice confidentialliest* it was even worse than their death. I bawled. I bawl just thinking about it. And I agree, it would have been much more satisfying (if I can call it that 🙂 ) if their death was more book-like. Book…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
by the range of your vocabulary.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Ethryndal YES. All that. Poor Fili. *sniff* I think I cried over it, but even if I didn’t there was shocked screaming inside. (*lowers voice even more confidentially* And I’d have preferred it if Fili and Kili died the same way as they did in the book…that’d have been so much sweeter. Defending Thorin with shield and body and all that. But of…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@daeus Either way, I like Obi-wan the best. *flies away on mop*
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
And also your intelligence is not judged the range of your vocabulary. 😉
-
Snapper replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
I took it yet again, after I memorized all the words I missed and now I must be smarter or something, because I got estimated 39,100. 😛
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus Yay!
-
Snapper replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@sierra-r I took a look at that list. I was surprised to find that tricorn was on it.
Woah! Even more interestingly, there’s that annoying red squiggly line beneath it that says it’s misspelled. -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
For those of you surprised they didn’t do better, thought I’d point out that this test is a knowledge quotient test, not necessarily a judge of how deep your vocabulary is. Most of the words on that list I could have figured out just by dissecting their roots, but as I was supposed to click the ones I knew I let them lie. Also, though this…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Hear Ye, Hear Ye!! *excited peasants step forth* 😛 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@ethryndal Ooh, that’s a good one. Here are a few that I missed on the vocab test. (trust me, there are more 😛 )
Parsimonious: Excessively cheap with money; stingy
Svelte: Slender and graceful
Embonpoint: Plump
Funambulist: Tightrope walker
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Hear Ye, Hear Ye!! *excited peasants step forth* 😛 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
Here’s one. It might be helpful to all you people who have battles in your stories.
Internecine: Mutually destructive to both sides in a conflict.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus Good job on that, you made me laugh out loud, which I rarely do. Obi-Wan on a broomstick… I’m at a loss for words. Though you make a good point; that line was always slightly troublesome. And then in Return of the Jedi, he tells Luke that a lot of truths we hold to are based on our point of view, or something like that. So…was he saying…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Emma-Flournoy All cheesy lines and triangles aside, I do like Kili. I agree, the whole Thorin Kili Fili thing was great, though I do wish they had developed Fili just a tad more. I think he would have made pretty interesting character, being the heir of Durin’s line and all. We kind of see the pressure that was on him, and how he was trying to…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@faithdk Quite an accomplishment. 😉 I congratulate you.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@dragon-snapper No. His logic was false. It only applies to him because it was a self report.
@emma-flournoy You win a tour of the galaxy!
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus Ah wait—he’s a Sith because he’s dealing in absolutes by saying unequivocally that “Chancellor Palpatine is evil!” and “Then you are lost” ?
How close to the mark did I come… -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus Ah wait—he’s a Sith because he’s dealing in absolutes by saying unequivocally that “Chancellor Palpatine is evil!” and “Then you are lost” ?
How close to the mark… -
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@daeus Okay, so hypothetically, you’re right. Does that make me a Sith?
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@daeus Okay, so hypothetcally, you’re right. Does that make me a Sith?
- Load More
