-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
Yes @Kate-Flournoy, isn’t it wonderful. Rant threads are nice. *huge grin* I like ranting.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
Ha! Aaaand she already posted. 😀 I leave you in the hands of a dedicated fan, @His-Instrument. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@His-Instrument Oh look! A Les Mis RANT THREAD! :’D
@EMMA-FLOURNOY GET OVER HERE NOW.
*ahem* Love this topic. I could probably write a book about everything Les Mis did amazingly… you covered a lot of it. I’d also like to point out what a great job Hugo did of recycling characters— bringing them in again in all the most unexpected places…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
What?! A Les Miserables thread? And dedicated to Jean Valjean no less!! Wow. So you love Jean Valjean as much as I do?
*long sigh* There’s too much! I feel the same as you with most of what you said, so I’ll not waste time repeating it. But first, Javert—I’m not entirely sure of my terminology, but I think he’d technically be considered an…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@his-instrument Why rewrite the musical. It’s great the way it is.
Er, yeah, let’s see. I’d pretty much agree. I do think Hugo should have cut down on some of his fluff, but the vast majority of it was great. I have some slightly different personal opinions, such I don’t think I liked Eponine quite that much and Javert’s only in the top five or…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 9 years, 7 months ago
@his-instrument I had a small baby book at one point in time too, but I copied all the names and their meanings down into one notebook…it took a long time. 😛
Ooh, roots for names, I’ll have to do that too. I love roots. ☺ I have had people mispronounce the characters names, but in my book, it’s pretty straightforward. -
Snapper replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 9 years, 7 months ago
@his-instrument I had a small baby book at one point in time too, but I copied all the names and their meanings down into one notebook…it took a long time. 😛
Ooh, roots for names, I’ll have to do that too. I love roots. ☺ I have had people mispronounce the characters names, but in my book, it’s pretty straightforward.
A website I use that’s p…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Quote That in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@his-instrument @graciegirl Haha! Yes, it’s Emperor’s New Groove. It’s probably one of my favorites too. 😛
-
Gracie replied to the topic Quote That in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@his-instrument @dragon-snapper YES!!! It’s gotta be from the Emperor’s New Groove! Please, tell me it is, Dragon Snapper! I knew it sounded familiar! That is one of my favorite movies of all time. ❤️❤️❤️ It has a style of narration that’s very similar to one of my own stories.
-
Gracie replied to the topic Writer's Corner #4 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@r-j-wordsmith Great! Catch you later
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus Oh yeah, totally know what you mean.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@emma-flournoy Thanks, but I don’t really want the meaning of yearning, I want the feel it gives you. That emotional code imprinted on it.
@graciegirl Thanks. Btw, The Count of Monte Cristo is my all time favorite novel and A Tale of Two Cities is my second favorite.
The crocodile toe–I was just trying to sell one to Kate. …Though I don’t…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
Or ‘wistful’, but that may not be strong enough.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus Ah yes, that’d do it.
How about ‘aching’? I looked up synonyms for yearning and that was the only one I saw yet that might possibly sound good…
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus Ah yes, that’d do it.
How about ‘aching’? I looked up synonyms for yearning and that was the only one I saw yet that might possibly sound good…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@emma-flournoy Yeah, I have them italicized where I wrote them, but copying and pasting it here apparently stripped it of its formatting.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@northerner Read it like, “confront everything he fights for being shattered.” I think most people have been fine with the wording, though a few have been confused by it. I don’t know. I’ll consider possibly changing it.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus *gags* No THANK YOU.
Hm… good point. I’m drawing a blank though. I shall return if something comes to me.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus For the [insert descriptor here] you should do ‘tear-jerking’.
No, I’m kidding. It’s true but bittersweet kind of already says that. 😛 Eh…I’ll tell you if I think of anything.And you don’t need to eat your humble pie—how will they know how good it is if you don’t tell them?!
The only thing I’d say to fix is to italicize the book…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@northerner Good points.
- Load More
