@jenwriter17
Active 4 years, 3 months ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 2522
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
All right 🙂
But as my story explicitly takes place in a fictional version of historical Korea and not Joseon, Goryeo, Silla, Baekje or any of the real Korean kingdoms, does that make any historical inaccuracies OK? 😛
Yes, I am a parent-murderer. Is it that shocking? I told you that my WIPÂ isn’t a romantic comedy.…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Oh, are the slang words the only historically inaccurate thing about Newsies? 😛
There’s a place for rebellion against the time period though, because the people history remembers are the people who were ahead of their time, or who actively rebelled against some bad part of society, but I definitely agree that the girls, s…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@seekjustice Was that during a performance, or was that when she was alone with her friends? Because if it was the former, I completely agree, but if the latter, I don’t care a bit. 😛
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@valtmy Haha! 😛 Don’t worry, I don’t think I will. But yeah, that’s me. I get so horribly annoyed if the actors say a slang word that wasn’t invented yet, (talking about Newsies, @seekjustice ) if the skirts are two inches too short or too long, (can’t always tell, except for a few specific periods) or especially if the characters act like m…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
You’re a parent-murderer??? *gasps of shock* 😀
Maybe you’re just picky, but me too. Unless I really like something, as in the case of Anastasia. However, you would hate The Greatest Showman, because my biggest complaint with it is how historically inaccurate it is, including, but no limited to, the fact that there is an…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@seekjustice tagging issues. I’m having them too. See above if you haven’t. 😉
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Oh dear. I hope you will never read up on Korean history else you will find all sorts of historical inaccuracies when you beta read my WIP. 😛
It’s OK. You still have a far lower parent body count compared to me. 😛
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@seekjustive Oh, I don’t know. I thought of a couple when writing that, but my brain is mixed up now and I can only remember one:
Rose Marie (1936) Is a musical about an opera singer who goes to the wilds of Canada in search of her brother. A huge climax near the end of the film involves her having a mental breakdown during an opera p…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Fine, three. 😛
And yeah, Carlotta usually has a much more operatic voice, though I don’t whether she’s usually played by women with operatic training.
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
But lots of Disney and YA fiction have parents that are “dead already” so that’s not an excuse. That still counts as killing so your parent body count is three at least. 😛
Haha I never minded the fact that there was not much opera singing in Phantom because that’s not really my cup of tea. But I think for the casting…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Whoops! I literally write your name on autopilot now 😀
@valtmy sorry! See above 😀 (I accidentally tagged Rochellaine instead of you!)
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@seekjustice You replied to @valtmy‘s post, but tagged me. 😛
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
But Christine actually only sings in an opera in one scene (The Point of No Return), the other opera scene her part is silent. And people get killed over the fact that her part is silent too.
Just out of curiosity, how many musicals are there about opera?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Yep 😀 I don’t know, he’s definitely horrible, but he’s still a father. Oh, and technically, Zac’s father is dead too, but…that’s minor and I didn’t kill him. He was just dead already.
I don’t know, I hope so. Though I’m not sure that Justice’s mother, or Sapphire’s mother, really count as useful.
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Two as in Chessy’s birth mother and Justice’s father? But Justice’s father was kind of a villain as well so does he really count?
So since you’ve made sure to create parents who are alive, do you think you have made them useful too? 😛
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@seekjustice I prefer musical theater to opera (usually) as well, but I also am a stickler for accuracy. The entire story revolves around the fact that Christine has a beautiful, classically trained operatic voice, and that she sings in the opera. Therefore the fact that they cast women with obviously Broadway style voices to sing songs that b…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@valtmy Yep, they are! That’s why I was proud of myself for only killing two 😛
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
Bye!
I thought parents in YA fiction are always either dead or useless. 😛
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
They do, for about a total of ten minutes 😛 And that’s heaps enough opera for me!
That’s true, but at least I’m not being so cliché. isn’t Young adult fiction notorious for killing off all the parents? All my characters have at least one live parent (but not all the parents have live children…)
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 2 months ago
@catwing Haha. As someone who allows mainly the parents to die, but saves the children alive, wouldn’t that make you similar to Disney? 😛
@seekjustice Don’t they put on what’s supposed to be an operatic production? The costumes certainly nod to opera costumery.
Not killing parents does not make the deaths less, it only makes them different. 😉
- Load More
