@jenwriter17
Active 4 years, 3 months ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 2522
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@valtmy I didn’t like the fact that one of them contained curse words. I think that was Les Mis. Other than that there are two reasons.
One: I like musicals where the songs help the plot along, not where the songs are the plot. Those musicals are too much like opera, where they sing the dialogue. That’s probably because I like songs you can…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Are there any musicals we actually agree on???
I already knew how it ended before I watched it and of course I’d read Liliom, so I might have been projecting too much onto it, but I found it difficult to care at all about Julie or Billy. Why was Billy so deadset against getting a job? And why on earth did Julie just put up with…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I know what your beef is with Phantom but what is your problem with Les Mis and ATOTC? (I assume you are talking about the musicals and not the original books since you wouldn’t be reading @seekjustice‘s books otherwise)
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@seekjustice @valtmy If they would just take out that one line (It’s seriously only one line!) about abuse in Carousel, it would be perfectly fine, though still somewhat depressing.
Do you agree, SeekJustice? Other than that it seems to end well, with Billy telling Julie he loves her, and the daughter finding a friend.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@valtmy 😛
Your definition of a “horrible story” consists of unlikeable characters and depressing storylines?
Uh…pretty much? 😉
Okay, so yeah, Liliom/Carousel has a pretty depressing storyline, and the characters are horrible in Liliom. The guy who plays Billy(Liliom) in Carousel, Gordon MacRae, is acting at his finest in the role and gives…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Pretty much nil.
Its certainly an…interesting story. Many of the problems are fixed in Carousel, but its still a musical that makes me a tad uncomfortable. Okay, a little more than a tad.
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
What are the chances Hollywood writers would actually do so?
OK, I’ve read the synopsis for Carousel/Liliom and can sort of see why you and @rochellaine have issues with it.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@valtmy I know, how could you? In general though, I think they’re both pretty good book adaptions and Hollywood writers would do well to study them.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I see 🙂 Well, red roses I think go with the unimaginative proposal. They’re rather boring and over done now 😀
*gallantly refrains from commenting on Carousel*
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
My characters are acting however they want. Whether things work out for them, though, is up to me, their author. 😛
Never heard of that one. So your definition of a “horrible story” consists of unlikable characters and depressing storylines?
Oh right. Forgot about Les Mis and Phantom. How could I? 😛
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@valtmy Why pound it into your characters’ heads when they can act however they want, seeing as they are themselves in a fictional work? 😛
@seekjustice It’s hard to tell, because the book was written from the girl’s POV, and she said they were her favorite flowers, but I don’t think she ever told him that. I think he just bought them because…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I haven’t seen Matilda, but I think Les Mis, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Phantom of the Opera are all good book adaptions, though POTO changes a lot of the plot.
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
That’s no way to adapt a book into a musical. Though I can’t really think of too many book-to-musical adaptations to give as examples…
Well, there’s Matilda which I watched in London. It was quite good because they actually wrote songs for the scenes instead of just blatantly ripping off the lines.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
In my opinion, most of the musical is awkward attempts to stick passages straight from the book to music.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Were the white carnations for any particular reason? Or did he just like them?
That wasn’t particularly smart of them. I mean, if you stopped singing and actually did something you wouldn’t be in this here fix.
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Well said. That is, in fact, the primary lesson I’ve been trying to pound into my characters’ heads.
I see. Jane Eyre’s actual speech in the book was very beautiful so seeing the words butchered up like that in the lyrics was just weird so I didn’t have very high hopes that it’ll be a good song.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Haha, no not really. I don’t really think Jane Eyre is a prime musical example.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@valtmy Hello again! There is so much stuff that works in fiction but wouldn’t work in real life! 🙂
@seekjustice Ha, yeah. 😛 I did read one book where there was a guy who used flowers other than roses, but it was only one kind, white carnations, and I think he gave them to the girl no more than twice or three times at extremely significant m…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Oh I’ve never watched that musical but I checked out the lyrics for that song and… does it sound better in the actual soundtrack?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Exactly right. It would be hugely annoying 😛
I feel there are extremely few guys who like flowers as much as Quillon does 🙂 in fact, when it comes to flowers guys are even more unimaginative than in their proposals. Red roses are the only thing they understand.
I actually think you would have more luck vowing vengeance on someone…[Read more]
- Load More
