@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh! Okay. Gotcha, @Daeus. I agree. 🙂
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Nice question! I think the character who is most like me is the main character of my trilogy, Callie Nickly. There are a lot of things similar about us, mostly physical appearance and problem-solving strategies. In fact, Callie has been an extremely difficult character to write about because she has forced me to learn about myself! (That sounds…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic no such thing as magic in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Yes certainly! I love a good debate. So let’s both enjoy this thoroughly. This is just so fun. Really debate is so fun, and it so stretches our brains, and I love it…
So. Yes, you have good points there. I may be redundant in what I say, and say it all over again, but I hope not and if I am oh well. 😛
With LotR magic (I assume you’ve read…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Hi @kate-flournoy and @sarah-h,
I need to clarify that this is a great topic and worthy of contemplation and discussion. The reason I suggested it be taken to reagan first is because:
1. While what is published and talked about on KP is not necessarily in perfect alignment with the views of the KP staff, they have certainly tolerated fantasy.…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic no such thing as magic in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Hey, Kate!
So *cough* you requested to know where I stand on magic-y stuff. Going in, I just want to say I understand where you are coming from and by no means am trying to insult anyone. *looks around* everybody clear on that? ‘kay.
Now, I see your example of a lightbulb at the beginning of the intro here. Point taken, but God did not take a…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
You and I were posting at the same time, Daeus! 🙂 I don’t think this is necessarily a problem for leadership only, though it would be good to talk to them, certainly.
I’m not very wise, and certainly still learning, but I would love to discuss this with Sarah and I think it’s a good thing to have these discussions where people who may be…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
These are all very valid questions, Sarah, and I know it can’t have been easy for you to speak out. I admire that.
Let me make a quick statement as to where I stand. I write fantasy. There is magic in my work. I love the Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Star Wars— though there are certainly elements of Star Wars I strongly…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Hi @sarah-h, I think this would be a good subject to bring to @reaganramm. If you have something that is really burdening you, please take it to the KP leadership.
I’m not going to go into all the minor details of what you said (which was a lot!). Personally, that’s just too much for me to discuss. Personally, I don’t write either fantasy or…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Ooh… that’s quite a question!
I don’t think I can answer that with just one character— I pour a varied amount of myself into every one of mine, pretty much. But a lot of my sarcastic characters bear many similarities to my personality, because I can be ridiculously sarcastic and witty in an odd, wacky, irrelevant sort of way. 😛 I also tend…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh, that is so hard. I really can’t pick a top one, but there are a few I am most like. Actually, there are a some that I’m not very much like at all. That kinda surprises me. The ones I’m most like though would be:
1. My MC, Edwin Brook. What he has gone through and his responses makes him different from me in many ways, but I the way he acts is…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
My method is putting a bit of myself in pretty much all of my characters. There’s one who looks like me, one who talks like me, one who has some of my habits or expressions… it varies.
Jean and Cobalt are a sort of split of how I act in different situations. -
Hope Ann replied to the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Anna West, definitely. Mainly because I’ve based her (in part) of imaginings of myself in various situations. She’s an 18 year old girl in America 200 years in the future, and she is a Christian who works in the underground and, later on, in the rebellion.
-
Rolena Hatfield started the topic If I were a Character… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Okay gang, here’s something fun to do. At least I enjoy thinking about this.
Which of YOUR characters are you most like?
Sometimes this character is the one I like writing about most, because I can relate to their reactions, sense of humor, likes and dislikes. But sometimes this is the hardest character for me to write about because when tough…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Hello! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 10 months ago
Welcome Joy! So glad to have you on the forum!
Out of curiousity… do you and Hope have any more sisters? (Like a Faith or a Charity? 🙂 ) I love your names! (Joy’s my middle name) -
Daeus replied to the topic Real Men: To Cry or Not to Cry?? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
@the-happy-bookaholic Yeah, that’s more like it. Not that that make a guy more likely to cry, but if he does, that’s more like it. The heaving part shouldn’t be very dramatic though. It would make him seem frazzled, which isn’t the right image.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hello! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh! That kind of elf hat! Okay, yeah, I might draw the line there. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Hey Rosey, can I ask you what it is you don’t like about magic? I’m not being patronizing— really I’m not. But I love this discussion. This is like one of my absolute pet-peeve discussions, and I’m always on the lookout for someone who can offer a new dimension of thought to it. I’d love to discuss this with you.
I already created a thread for…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Our family just read Storybound by Marissa Burt and it was… gah, spoilers, but it was really really good. Make sure to have the sequel on hand, though. The first one ends on a cliffhanger. 😛
Only issue was good guys using magic, and I wasn’t really all the comfortable with that. -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Hello! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 10 months ago
Wow @kate-flournoy. Don’t think I could spot you in a grocery store. XP
Elf hat, as in, Santa’s elves elf hat. 😉 -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Hello! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 10 months ago
Wow @kate-flouroy. Don’t think I could spot you in a grocery store. XP
Elf hat, as in, Santa’s elves elf hat. 😉 - Load More
