@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Very nice, @Daeus. 🙂
No actually, that sounds pretty good, minus the second-to-last sentence. 😉 I like the idea of a curve ball being thrown at Anna in the form of changing/updating the Enigma. That would really make her need to think.
@Hope! You can’t kill Anna’s father! I will cry! Who is the other young rebel who dies? Not Sean, is it?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
You make me laugh so hard, Daeus. 😀
Well Hope, my idea is similar to Daeus’s, but I’ll post it anyway. What if the dad was taken (for whatever reason— trying to save Anna maybe as Daeus suggested) and they experimented with their (or Daeus’s) new Enigma thing on the dad.
Maybe there were problems they needed to clear up about their new and…[Read more] -
Ivy Rose replied to the topic Free Writer Bundle in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Thanks David! That looks super cool!!!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Here’s what I’m thinking. So there’s gonna be this part where they have to hold off the attacking forces until the resistance can completely formulate. So this already sounds like a difficult task. Let’s make it epic. Let’s say that at the same time, the gov. comes out with a new and top secret version of Enigma with far more powerful and…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Basically, in the middle of the book, Anna needs to discover more about Enigma, and she’s also involved in intelligence work with the Christians and to help the rebels. I just need to figure how she does these various things. And how/why her father should die.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
The theme of the story is trusting in God; that God is enough even if you lose everything. As for the climax…still working on it. Though I think it has to do with her father dying (it’s at this point, probably, that part of her internal conflict is resolved). Then the climax will probably be with Anna and a small group having to hold off the…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
I might be able to give you a couple ideas, but I need to ask you first, what is the theme of your story? Also, (without giving too much away) what is the climax of your story?
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
I don’t think every rule of serious, emotional writing is completely irrelevant, but most of them are. Actually, to take my comedic piece for an example, it is totally possible to write a comedy that is serious and emotional and still have the focus be on comedy. Comedy generally results when people are serious or emotional about the wrong things…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
I’m having a hard time figuring out the middle of the second book of my trilogy. The first book has to do with Anna regaining her true memories and a rebellion starting against the oppressive government (this is set in America 200 years in the future). In the second book, Anna and others both take part in the rebellion (which spans the rest of…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Giving characters contrasting qualities can be humorous. A bad guy who corrects everyone’s grammar. Or a hero who is terrified of mice. Or a judge who likes puns but can’t laugh at them in public because he needs to keep a dignified picture of himself.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Caricature’s the word then, hm? Caricature and exaggeration. 😉
So in the case of comedy (correct me if I’m wrong) every rule of serious, emotional writing is completely irrelevant.
Let me give an example.
Let’s say we have a male protagonist who’s afraid of the dark. If he gets shut in a dark cellar in a serious, realistic novel, he’ll be…[Read more]
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Thank you so much, Kate and Rolena. 🙂 I do try to keep my names pronounceable…mostly for my own sake. 😉 Rhett Newman is one of my absolute favorite names…and he’s my favorite male protagonist as of yet!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Kate,
You pretty much just said everything I would have said if I actually said everything I wanted to say. Caricatures. That is exactly what I was going to say. Caricatures are the essence of comedy.
There is absolutely no limit to how much you can exaggerate people and situations. One of my favorite comedies is the movie “The Hudsucker…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Thanks guys! I haven’t glanced over those links yet, Amanda, but I will when I find time. I’m a little short of that… 😛
Those are some great tips, Daeus! I’d not thought of it like that before… situation mattering as much as character… hm…
What about exaggerating characters? How far can you (should you) go? Are there rules, or does…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Great topic. I’m surprised we haven’t got to it yet.
Do you write one novel a month or something?
I must confess, I’ve only written one comedic piece in my life, but that one piece taught me a lot about writing comedy. Writing comedy is much different from being funny personally. What I discovered is that writing comedy is mostly about the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Okay, so I’m putting this in the novel ideas forum because I have a novel idea that happens to be a comedy. 😉
Up until now, I’ve only written very serious, intense, realistic stuff, but I want to try something different.
So I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on writing comedy.I’m generally a pretty comedic person, but when it comes to…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
@littlebrowndog I liked your Rowan Dyer! Your two villains with the last name Collins must be related, hmmm that would make for an interesting story. 🙂
@Ivy-Rose Every name is creative and special, cause you get to pick the ones you like! :p What I like about your list of names is that their all easy to prounouce. Sometimes authors take such…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy and
Ivy Rose are now friends 10 years, 10 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh my goodness @Rolena! So tragic! 😉
All of those sound pretty creative to me, @Ivy-Rose. 🙂
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
Oooh, this is fun. I love names. You all are so creative!!! None of mine are very interesting…I’m no good at coming up with creative names! Here are a few characters/names that I love.
Protagonists:
Chelsea Sanders
Rhett Newman
Lavina Lewis
Travis HoustonSecondary:
Rachel Gretchertson
Jewelynn Chaucer
Elaina Gatsburg
Melody Hall
Violet…[Read more] - Load More
