@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
I really like this, Kate! Really cements the like of Denholm I already had. 😉
One line that stood out to me and I’ll comment on now before a more in-depth read over. “Monotony becomes monotonous.” It’s funny and made me smirk while reading over it, but I think maybe with some rewording or additions it could be funnier if you want it to be.
It…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone started the topic The Ballad of Scott Sterling in the forum Poetry 10 years, 9 months ago
Not really looking for a critique on this because it was more of a silly free-time thing than a serious poem. But there are enough Studio C fans on here that I thought you guys would enjoy this.
So read, laugh and don’t worry about critiquing.The Ballad of Scott Sterling
The greatest game of all the year
Was tied between two teams.
The…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys… you know you’re really, really helpful about this critiquing thing. I have a short little excerpt I would like feedback on… I’ll try to avoid dumping another one so wretchedly long as the last on you. 😛
Any thoughts at all are appreciated— the MC of this scene (Denholm again 🙂 ) and his companion (Lord Gair) are sneaking through…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
How much option you have with your logo depends on which gig you choose. There are many good logo designers on fiverr, so look them over and pick the one that seems the best. I got mine for five and it had three revisions and the guy I used (unfortunately I can’t remember who he was) gave me about three versions for each revision and I think I…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
A logo is a good idea. Currently I’m thinking about changing the header of my e-mails to plain text…or maybe not. I looked up Fiverr and that could work. Though you have to pay extra for colors most of the time and if you want to have full rights, you pay more too. Maybe I’ll see if I can get my brother to help me. He’s good at art stuff when he…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Well actually, now that I think of it, there is one way to make yourself look way pro you might want to look into. It is also one of the cheapest ways. Get yourself a logo. How much does it cost?
$5
Fiverr, so much potential, so little cost (I should sell that tag line to them). You can get an awesome logo there for $5 and a lot of other stuff…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@Daeus Thanks. This is the first time I’ve tried something like this, so any and all kinds of feedback and suggestions are appreciated. 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey Hope, I just had a couple ideas about your newsletter.
First and foremost, your section “What to expect from me” should really be on your sign up page. People like to know what to expect before submitting.
Also, I can’t tell what your picture is that you have behind “writing in the light readers”. It would be best to have a picture that is…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
That’s awesome, Hope! 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Well, what is Christmas break for if not catching up on writing and putting things I’ve been learning into practice? 🙂
-
Daeus replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Wahoo! You’ve got a newsletter. Things are getting serious.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Marketing Webinar in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I saw that he had that book. I want to read it and his other one as soon as I can, but I’m currently reading through all the marketing books I got from goodriter. I’ve also got “let’s get visible” is in mail.
I’m now reading “book marketing is dead”. It’s really good. I also just finished “how to market a book” which I would also highly recommend.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
In case anyone is interested, I’m starting a newsletter which I’ll currently be e-mailing out every month. It will have humorous writing incidences, exclusive contests, news about WIPs and fun stuff like that. 🙂 You can sign up for it here. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Book Marketing Webinar in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Help with Romance in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
The romance doesn’t have to be an overt story plot either; it can just be a quiet subplot that filters in though the story itself (if that made any sense).
-
Daeus replied to the topic Help with Romance in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
yep
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Help with Romance in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
The best simple thing to avoid mushy-ness is to make it just a really good friendship. They share jokes and tease each other and just generally act like best friends. If they’re in love, great. Just a step above friendship works great for romance in my opinion. 🙂
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Tags in the forum Questions and Support 10 years, 9 months ago
Say someone is searching for something on a particular topic. They search “humor”, but the topic’s name is “Comedy”. You could add “humor” into the tags to assist with searches to the topic can be more easily found.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help with Romance in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@Sarah-h— well, there are pros and cons both ways. If you have them get married at the end of the book, you end on a really sweet, fulfilling note.
If you have them get married in the middle, you can show the development of their relationship as they are married, and have them grow a lot closer than they were when they were just ‘courting’.
I…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Help with Romance in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh, heh heh, you’re thinking like hollywood showing. No no hollywood. Bad bad hollywood.
I mean don’t go like, “He thought he had never seen anyone so beautiful da da da. She thought, he thought, she thought.”
That is explaining things to the reader as if they can’t understand it. They can. That’s not to say you can never use, “he thought, she…[Read more]
- Load More
