@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dear me, I've been selfish in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I should probably add that what converted me to the idea of self publishing is that it gives me more freedom to do what I just described. I’ll never have to worry about anybody getting in the way of this strategy because I will be the only one who has a say in it.
…plus the royalties are a lot better.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dear me, I've been selfish in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
It is not at all as true as it sounds. Intact, most traditional publishers will tell you that you should still have a platform before you even publish with them. But how does one build a platform from scratch?
It’s actually surprisingly simple. While you’re at it, get that other free book on kindle, “reader magnets”. It will explain in very clear…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Dear me, I've been selfish in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Well Daeus. We forgive you.
Sounds like a really, really helpful book. Thanks for sharing! I would love to self-publish… but so many times I’ve heard that self-publishing is a no-no for an author who doesn’t already have a wide reader platform. Maybe that’s not quite as true as it sounds…
-
Daeus started the topic Dear me, I've been selfish in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Yep, it’s true.
But I’m going to fix that. Here’s the story. I’ve recently become converted to the idea of self publishing as being a strategically beneficial choice. I know a lot of you others are indies or wannabe indies. Now I just happened to stumble across this book on amazon that was written by the author of another book I read on book…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield's profile was updated 10 years, 9 months ago
-
Rolena Hatfield changed their profile picture 10 years, 9 months ago
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic My First Book is Free in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know about this great opportunity! I got my download and can’t wait to read it!
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
@mas410 Thanks; I have fun with my blog.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
Structure nut is very obliging.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
I like to write fantasy/action/adventure/scifi/mystery/dystopian/drama/…
Yes! That is so me.
Structure nut has no objections. Structure nut does not care too much about structure. Structure nut loves structure, he does not care about it. Poetry is just saying something in a way that is expressly original, uses words that sound good a…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
Don’t worry, M.K. @the-happy-bookaholic corrects everyone’s grammar on here. It’s nothing personal. 😛
And that poem— wow. As structure goes, I’m don’t know how it was, because I’m not a structure nut (@Daeus is, if you can get him over here) but the words and the raw emotion touched me very… earnestly. You conveyed so much so briefly— or…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Well then Denholm would die of poison and the whole world would crumble in ruin, quite simply. 😛
It’s okay— that almost happened anyway, because they were discovered halfway through the camp and he was very, very badly wounded.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Glad we could help. 🙂
But wait, plot twist here, what if the drink was important? How would that alter the story?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Thanks @Daeus and @writefury— the drink is not important. So I conclude it was a good description as descriptions go, but unnecessary, which cancels that out. 😛
Thanks guys! I’ll make it seem less important. 🙂
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
I really liked the drink description, personally. You did a really good job there. But I would repeat Daeus’s question: Is it important? I got the impression it was poisoned or something. (Not sure if that’s just a hunch, but it seems like the drink is important)
-
Daeus replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy It all depends on how important the drink is. Whenever an author focuses on any detail, we assume it is important. If it proves to have no value to the story, then we feel let down (unless perhaps the details are on the scenery). You especially need to have a reason for including the “something he could not name” in the taste…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Gotcha @Hope. Thanks— you’re right.
Quick question for all of you here— how was the description of the drink? Specifically, did I spend too much time on it?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
Just a few other picky comments…though I do love this scene. 🙂
With one accord Denholm and his companion turned,
This seems a bit stiff and formal. Simply rearranging the words would make it flow better.
I would be the last to know,” Denholm, answered,
There’s an extra comma…
But he was not to be let off so easily.
You could p…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
Welcome, and plan to have lots of fun during your stay here 😉 What type of stories do you like to write? Allegorical fantasy and futuristic suspense are my favorites (how do those two even go together?)
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Alright, I'm starting HERE. Hello. in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
@mas410
XD Thanks, I’m glad you enjoy it! 😛 - Load More
