@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Has anyone here ever forgotten one of their own plot-twists? I don’t mean like it slipped your mind— I mean like you started it, then forgot about it?
Recently I was writing a very intense action scene, and when my sister read it she kinda looked at me funny, and pointed out that one of the characters involved had broken his arm a few chapters…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey… yeah, you’re right. That’s it— the author shouldn’t narrate. The author should simply make unconnected statements that embellish an already presented concept or event. Perfect. I love rules like that… they’re so simple. 😛
-
Daeus replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yeah, that makes sense. So the author voice isn’t all evil after all.
The example you gave gave me an idea. I think the proper use of the author voice is for statements of truth as opposed to statements of what happened. Things like, “The brave die young” or “a fall of 1000 feet had a high chance of fatality” or “few men really…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love (mercy) vs. Justice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I think @hope said everything I could have @anna-brie… I will just point out that the Father is justice, and the Son is mercy— and there had to be justice before there could be mercy. Love fulfills justice and makes mercy possible. And you have to accept the love before you can claim the mercy. If you don’t accept it, you only get what you…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
You are absolutely one hundred percent correct, @Daeus. Good thinking. 🙂
I had a new thought on this last night— sometimes it can still actually be good to step OUT of the moment to establish something dramatic. Now let me explain… let’s say we spend a lot of time building up in preparation for a dramatic climax for the scene. We could take…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
One single word can change a lot. I just caught myself again. Welcome back to Drake.
This is what I had at first:
Drake made himself laugh. “You have my word.” They both knew that meant nothing, but the captain nodded and ordered his men to row away. Drake noted the ship they were headed to. It was only some two or three hundred feet from the…
-
Greta replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy: Wow, that’s so cool your last name is a Huguenot one! I recently learned about the Huguenots in my French class. They were tough bunch of people. 😀
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Love (mercy) vs. Justice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
That’s hard…because justice does need to balance mercy. Even God needed justice satisfied (by Jesus’s death); He didn’t just forget all sins because He felt like it. But God forgiving sins and man forgiving or showing mercy in any position is quite different, so I guess it partly depends on how close your allegory is. (Is it allegory?)
If it…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Two new favorites. First Rora. This is a book about the Waldensians. This is high on my recommendations list. Very well written.
And now, there’s another one I just read that is even better. Seriously, this book is causing catastrophic disorder to my top three list. I don’t think it beats Monte Cristo (I think I have a taboo against that), but it…[Read more]
-
Anna Brie started the topic Love (mercy) vs. Justice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Your article, @hope , got me thinking about the struggle between people loving there enemies and true justice.
The authorities in my story are partly representative of God, and I’m trying to find the right balance between righteous judgement and Christian love.
Should you offer mercy to those you know will just turn back to doing evil?I suppose…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Anna's Savanna by BlueJay in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
And here is another story that I have written @anna-brie Now I really loooooove this one. I actually have things to fix up, but I had already posted it. Enjoy!
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Princess Tess and the Perfect Story in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
@anna-brie have a read of this story and tell me what you think. I wrote it awhile ago (so I think I’ve improved, but…) I still love it though. 😛
-
Anna Brie changed their profile picture 10 years, 8 months ago
-
BlueJay and
Anna Brie are now friends 10 years, 8 months ago -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Dialog is probably my easiest part to make sound interesting. But I’m trying to stop using it as a crutch.
I agree with what @kate-flournoy said about saying what you want your reader to see. Just ascribe the most vital and interesting parts of the movie in your head. Also interesting comparisons and descriptions, original ones especially, really…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Absolutely. I call that leaving out the boring parts. I have a theory that 99% of people’s lives would sound pretty novel like if they were written down without the boring parts. Makes sense at least.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Riiiiight @Daeus. Swahili. You had me fooled for a minute there…
… okay, no, you didn’t. I knew you would know exactly what a Huguenot was. 😉
And yeah, dialogue is a lot easier now that you mention it. I mean, it’s kinda hard NOT to live in the moment when you’re doing a dialogue scene. 😛 *tries to imagine a dialogue scene otherwise* Ugh.…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy
Hey, the Huguenots took a lot of battering and held strong. I guess their names can too. And French? Really? I thought the Huguenots were Swahili.… Ok, not really.
Man, stop making me envious. Yeah, you kept to the rule really well. Actually though, when writing a conversation, I tend to do fairly well at keeping things moment…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Haha… it’s okay. You are by NO MEANS the first person to do so. It’s a Huguenot name, you might be interested to know… French. 😉
And any scenes I might have of that sort would all be from my very earliest literary endeavors and there is no way on this earth I am posting one of those, but I’ll post a little moment from my WIP you can…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic From textbook to cinema in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Why do I keep misspelling your name? @kate-flournoy. There. Much better.
- Load More
