@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic Hi all you fellow writers 😉 in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
Anything really. Sometimes we ask for critiques. I just did a random survey on speed reading. We talk a lot about how to write better (characters, sentences, plots, etc.). We steal genius. We chat. Sometimes we play games. Really, do almost whatever you want.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi all you fellow writers 😉 in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
Well, the busiest part of the forum is the General Writing Discussions page— and it’s just that, a page for the discussion of writing in general. Villains, character arcs, good words, description, dialogue— you name it. We can also have more genre-based discussions in the Fiction forum.
Critiquing questions (and excerpts) can be posted for…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writing Historical Fiction in the forum Historical 10 years, 7 months ago
*cringe* Research. Yep, I’m afraid so. If you can get a good idea of what historical figures were really like, you can weave ’em in much better and actually hit pretty near the mark.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Building Characters Inside-Out in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Good points, @Daeus. Very good points.
Also, @sarah-h, it’s not so much about showing your character’s response to the arc as it is about showing the arc itself. Let me explain. Say you’re character has a problem with lying. As you progress through the arc, don’t show us the character lying less and less. Show us the changing perspective in the…[Read more]
-
BlueJay and
Cahndida Serkhaman are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Cahndida Serkhaman replied to the topic Hi all you fellow writers 😉 in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
😀
So how should I use this forum? Do you all use it to ask for critiques or ideas or what? 🙂 -
Daeus replied to the topic Building Characters Inside-Out in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Character arcs should be theme based. Let me give an example. In one of my current works, the theme is loyalty/treachery. In this story, I have two characters who unexpectedly betray the same household. Both of them start off seeming very loyal, but along the way, there are certain hints that their ultimate loyalties are to themselves.…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Well, my brother (reading snail) picks up on the nuances pretty well. But he’s nothing close to being a writer. 😛
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic A Writing Game in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
The giant boy loomed over the two terrified, shaking, green frogs as they huddled on their last remaining lilypad. An evil smile stretched across his face and his hand tightened on the jar he held as he came in closer.
The smaller frog, unable to look, buried his face against his brother, who stood tall, making a falling attempt at…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Emotion in the forum Characters 10 years, 7 months ago
Emotional scenes begin far before the actual scene in most instances. We know this to be true in our own lives. Let’s take a look at this.
Scene 1: Random girl smacks guy in face.
That’s a little bit hurtful.Scene 2: Girlfriend smacks guy in face.
Much more hurtful.Scene 3: Girlfriend who guy has been trying all week to…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
This is funny. Anyone like me?
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
I actually read too fast. I pick up all the details and everything, but I usually want books to last longer than I make them by reading so fast. I have to rein myself in and be sparing, usually. XD My family nickname is “the reading cheetah”. My brother and sister were dubbed the reading snail and moose, respectively.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Hi all you fellow writers 😉 in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
Welcome to Kingdom Pen, Cahndida! 😀 Always nice to have a new face. And OYANers have quite a bit of a headstart on understanding the KP insanity, so you’re in a good spot. 😛
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Emotion in the forum Characters 10 years, 7 months ago
Oh… I know what sort of a scene you’re talking about. Let’s see. Hope had some good stuff. I’d say, probably uncovering some previously unknown back-reason that the villain has been running with might be a good thing. Maybe study a few book/movie scenes where a similar thing happens?
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus, when I first saw the title of this topic, the first thing that came into my mind was, “Not fast enough.” 🙂
In reality, I read pretty fast. My mom taught me to read at 3 and at age 5 I was reading Little House on the Prairie by myself. Though I’m not proud of this, I have a terribly short attention span and can’t sit still for long. I…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Hey ya'll! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
@faithdk, we have 3 sheep (we had 6, but one died and two became food…) 🙂
-
Daeus replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Well well well. That was fun. Obviously wrong.
How-how-Cout-Cristo-week?????????
For comparison, it took me several months to finish The Count of Monte Cristo. I read silently only just barely faster than I read aloud (though I do read aloud pretty fast.)
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi all you fellow writers 😉 in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
@cahndida-serkhaman, Hello! It’s nice to meet you. Welcome to Kingdom Pen!
That’s awesome; I love singing, too! 😉
-
Greta replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
I read relatively fast…a least compared to my sisters. I don’t know if I read fast compared to the rest of the world. 😛
@bluejay, yeah, I’m the same way. I read fast in my head, but when I’m reading aloud, I always have to slow down. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How fast do you read? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Sorry to debunk your theory @Daeus, but I read the Count of Monte Cristo in a week, total, and I could spend five hours right now going over it with you point by point, twist by twist, arc by arc, concept by concept. 😀
I’ve always been this way— well, ever since I learned how to read, which was pretty late due to some vision complications. I…[Read more] - Load More
