@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@gretald I should be able to write this afternoon. What time are you thinking of?
-
Greta changed their profile picture 10 years, 4 months ago
-
Greta replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus I have homework to do right now, so I can’t. Will you still be writing this afternoon? I could maybe write then. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@spradlin Those are some great thoughts to chew on. 😉 I think that Orwell is telling the story for his readers, mostly. His main objective in writing this story seems to be to convince others of whatever points he’s trying to get across in his writing. It’s a little to early in the story to tell exactly what points he’s trying to prove. @Daeus…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Quick call out everybody. I’m writing now if you want to join me.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@sarah-h Unfortunately, Wattpad isn’t the safest place in the world, but I think it can be used and enjoyed if done carefully. My two concerns are that a lot of the books on there look like junk and there doesn’t appear to be much to say what can’t go on a cover, or at least the website is just bad at filtering that stuff. The good news is that…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I like that, @anna-brie Thanks.
-
Sarah Spradlin replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Loving the discussion that’s going on here!
I’m gonna go back to what somebody said a little bit earlier about Orwell interjecting a lot of his opinion into the book itself. This is 100% true, and what I think is really interesting is that he does a great job of disguising what a lot of times might end up being one really long, out-of-place rant…[Read more]
-
Sarah Spradlin replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*produces the many thumbs of approval* I really like it! 😀
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Many people use their own name in it. What about Legendaires of Hope?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Legendaires it is! Thanks guys. 😉
-
Ingrid replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@gretald and @hannah-krynicki
I agree that the pigs seem power-hungry and may become dictators to the other animals. -
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@jadamae Good point. I definitely agree with you about that. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Interesting thoughts, everyone!
As far as writing goes, I noticed that there was a lot of telling in the beginning, too, but as you said @daeus, I don’t think that it was necessarily a bad technique. As a reader, I was engaged the entire time. And that’s really all that matters, right? 😉
The characters are great. Each animal has a strikingly…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I think all the animals have some sort of symbolism. The raven for instance. And Boxer is another good one. He is a picture of such powerful industry that he can support the weight of communism, but eventually, it wears him out. (getting a little ahead of myself there)
-
Daeus replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@hannah-krynicki I think that’s a good guess, though if I hadn’t known Orwell’s own beliefs, I would have guessed it was against any form of socialist/communist government whatsoever. If you approach the book from a purely logical standpoint, I think you will find that it teaches the risk of attempting a communist society is greater than any…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@hannah-krynicki Well, to be technical, he wasn’t against communism (in fact, even though he’s called a socialist, I think communist would be a better term for him). Socialism according to Marx is the necessary middle point in transitioning from capitalism to communism. Socialism is defined as all property being owned by the state and (at least in…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
True, Major didn’t substantiate all his points, but he did make some good ones (considering the fairy tale setting). I think this probably has something to do with Orwell’s hidden bias. I’m not sure how many people know this, but Orwell was actually a socialist. What he didn’t like was totalitarianism. How in the world he thought he could have one…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Hope Honestly, I like it. I don’t think it’s cheesy at all. Great idea, combining the word legionnaires and the word legend. 😉 I’d definitely go with it.
-
Ingrid replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I like it, @hope! Honestly, it sounds pretty cool. 🙂
- Load More
