@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
BlueJay replied to the topic A Writing Game in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Numbers; problems. That’s all they ever write in me. Multiplication; addition; subtraction; division. I’m so tired by the end of the day.
Sometimes I end up with a really bad case of chicken pox. Do you know how horrible that is?
I wish they’d write stories in me instead. Battles; romance; westerns; fantasy. How much nicer that would be.
Words;…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper Oo I love medieval as a genre. My only problem is that my characters all speak modern day English.
Tell me, do you like flying???? -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@daeus Sorry, missed you again!!!!!!!!! So out of practise and really busy.
However, is there anyone who wants to write now? @overcomer; @jadamae; @daeus; @kate-flournoy; @clairec; @anna-brie; @anyone-else-who-I-haven’t-thought-of -
Daeus replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Ok people, this is like my topic, so I might just say a thing or two.
As I already mentioned, rewriting is, in my opinion, the most educational thing a writer can do. Forcing yourself to fix major problems teaches yourself so much about how you actually write and how it should look in contrast. Here are some of my biggest lessons.
POV matters.…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Ok people, this is like my topic, so I might say a thing or two.
As I already mentioned, rewriting is, in my opinion, the most educational thing a writer can do. Forcing yourself to fix major problems teaches yourself so much about how you actually write and how it should look in contrast. Here are some of my biggest lessons.
POV matters.…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus good idea. Okay people— so near the beginning of the book I had it so one character would be teaching another to sword-fight. I spent quite a bit of time developing their relationship prior to that— one character is so stubborn he wouldn’t have let the other character teach him if they hadn’t known each other for quite some time. So…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@kate-flournoy Actually, I would say there is no better way to learn writing, period.
Now I’ll have to be gone for just a moment because guess what I’m doing? Yep, rewriting.
By the way, you might want to give some more detailed examples of your lesson for people who aren’t familiar with your book.
-
Daeus replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@kate-flournoy Actually, I would say there is not better way to learn writing, period.
Now I’ll have to be gone for just a moment because guess what I’m doing? Yep, rewriting.
By the way, you might want to give some more detailed examples of your lesson for people who aren’t familiar with your book.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Ha. Anything, of course. 😉 No limit.
Yes. Besides reading, there’s almost nothing that can better prepare someone for writing than rewriting. Which may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but it’s true.
-
Daeus replied to the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Only one thing? Oh, dear. 😉
I’ve done a lot of rewriting and it’s a super enlightening process. I’ll have to think about this a bit and come back.
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic If there's one thing rewriting has taught me… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
This thread is for sharing tips about editing and rewriting or handy things we discovered in the process of doing that ourselves.
I shall kick it off because I recently discovered something crucial (with @Daeus‘s help 😉 ). I’m going through the first major edit/rewrite I’ve ever done, so perhaps this is old news to some of you more experienced…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper Yeah, well, one can only handle so many dragons and then it all breaks down into chaos.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Prophecy Critique in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
So, @daeus and @anna-bria, this is what I have now. I like most of it, I’m just not sure about the final line in the first and third stanza. The line in the third stanza, by the way, needs to hold the idea that the nation will be destroyed if the victor (from the line before) doesn’t unite the countries.
Ancient sign, bitter fate,
Scar and oath…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Have you read…? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
*gasp* You’ve got to read Lord of the Rings, @anna-brie! They are so good!
I had Steelheart from the library, but returned it because I didn’t have time to read it. I might pick it back up again sometime. But the next book on my list are the Inkheart trilogy. Joy is reading them and she really likes them.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper Welcome, dragon captain. So, do you tame dragons, hunt them, or…umm, are you a rogue dragon who somehow slipped past the moderators?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@Dragon-Snapper awesome handle. Is there a story behind that?
Oh yeah— welcome to the Realm of the KeePers of the Kingdom. There are *ahem* a few dragons on this forum, myself included… it would be greatly appreciated if you refrained from doing any… erm… snapping? 😉
Where do you hail from?
Glad to have you here. *salutes* Captain. 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hullo @bluejay. Are you writing tonight?
-
Daeus replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
Howdy Dragon Snapper. Nice way to cruise on in. Looks like there’s a good forecast on the forum. Should be nice travel.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic A Dragon's Snapper in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper *stares at post with open mouth. Reads command at the end and obeys* **Applauds**
Welcome to Kingdom Pen the bestistest place on earth.
*Gasps* *I’ve always wanted to fly* Dreams do come true.
So…tell us about you. How long have you been writing? Favourite authors? Genre?
And I’ll say it again………..welcome. 🙂 -
Anna Brie replied to the topic Prophecy Critique in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
I like it, Hope. But I’m not that good with poetry. There are a few bit’s that don’t quite flow well, in particularly this line: The sign reveals Firstflowing’s tomb.
Perhaps you can incorporate some of what Daeus has done. I like what he’s done with the third stanza as well. - Load More
