-
Joy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
You know you’re a writer when you hear about someone else’s experiences and think: “Hey! I can make a character like that!”
All the time. Can’t keep up with it 😛
-
Joy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
You know you’re a writer when, as you’re playing solitaire, you’re forming a story idea in your mind about four kingdoms who were scattered apart by enemies, and are forced to cooperate and work together to rebuild them
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@rochellaine I couldn’t have told you that, to be honest! I saw it live in Sydney when I was eleven (so that was almost seven years ago), and I didn’t watch the movie until after that (I remember the movie and the musical being very similar, except for a few minor points), and then I didn’t read the book until after that, but I remember virtually…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@seekjustice Oh my goodness! The book is so completely different from the movie that you couldn’t tell they were the same but for the fact that the names aren’t changed! There are so many differences I don’t think you can count them.
Have you heard of the movie Saving Mr. Banks? I haven’t seen it, but it’s a film about the making of Mary Popp…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@rochellaine I’ve heard of My Fair Lady, I’ve even listened to a few of the songs from it, and I know the premise. I might have a look at that one too, when I get some time.
Yeah, it will be interesting! I’m looking forward to writing the post!
Actually, I have a plan! Mary Poppins is a book, movie and musical! It’s actually the only musical…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic My *gag* Children's Books in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 7 months ago
@jenwriter17 That’s okay! XD
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic My *gag* Children's Books in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 7 months ago
@dekreel *facepalms* yeah, just realized you stated the age of the MC at the beginning, sorry.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@seekjustice By the way, I agree that an Anastasia analysis should be very interesting. I’ve only read about it, though. Never seen any of it. Same with The Hunchback, except I’ve seen the 1939 movie version with Maureen O’Hara and Charles Laughton, which I liked a lot. (I think it’s pretty different from the book.) I’m sure, as you say, t…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic My *gag* Children's Books in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 7 months ago
@jenwriter17 Oh, and YES! Totally leave comments! 😀
-
valtmy and
Joy are now friends 8 years, 7 months ago -
Joy replied to the topic A Keeper Adventure in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@gabbyj Sure!
BTW your signature is awesome 😉
-
Joy replied to the topic A Keeper Adventure in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@warrenluther04 All right. Dog it is! 🙂
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@seekjustice Well, a really famous one (In the U.S. and England, at least) is Pygmalion, which was made into the musical/movie My Fair Lady. I can’t stand the thought of the plot, because the male protagonist is horrible the whole way through. (I think he ends up a little tiny bit better in the musical version, but just barely.) The play is by…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic My *gag* Children's Books in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 7 months ago
@jenwriter17 I’d imagine somewhere in the tween-early teen age, since that’s how old the MCs are, but I don’t know for sure
@sam-kowal @valtmy Thank you both so much! It helps a lot 😀
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@rochellaine I’ve never heard of Carousel, no, but I’m always open to new musicals, so I’ll give it a listen. I’ve just downloading the script on Gutenberg and I’ll read it, then proceed with the musical/movie. It’ll probably be a while before I get to writing a post on it (I’ll have to read it, watch it and then listen to a it a couple of times…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@seekjustice And here’s a link to the Wikipedia article on the musical.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@seekjustice Have you heard of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel? It was a stage musical, later made into a movie. It was based on a play, rather than a book, but I read the play like a book on Gutenberg, so it could count if you’re not too much of a literalist?
It actually has a kind of weird, fantastical plot, which upon reading th…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic My *gag* Children's Books in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 7 months ago
This actually isn’t all that bad. The writing flows nicely and does fit that of a children’s book. Though I agree with @sam-kowal that there is not enough tension that would keep a reader (especially a child) engaged. The story so far seems to be more of a description of the events that are happening as there is not much conflict or…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
Whoops! @aislinn-mollisong see above!
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writer's Corner #13 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 7 months ago
@aislinn-mollinsong I definitely know what you mean! Was Robert E Lee like a Confederate general or something? I’m not sure, my American history is super bad.
@rochellaine Well, this week I’m doing Anastasia, the musical/movie versus the real story, actually, cause I thought that would be interesting! I was going to do the Hunchback of notre…[Read more]
- Load More
