Hannah

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    Male: Adaire: dweller by the oak tree.
    Adin: fiery one.
    Aftyn: meaning unknown.
    Ahearne: heron, lord of horses.
    Aiken: made of oak.
    Alaire: happy.
    Albion: white cliffs.
    Aldren: wise, from the old house.
    Aldwin: old friend.
    Allard: brave, noble.
    Alston: temple stone.
    Anbjorn: bear, eagle.
    Annan: from the stream.
    Archard: sacred, powerful…[Read more]

  • That sounds good. Posting it here, I mean. Daeus, I and anyone else who’s looking could see it that way. 😉

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    Um… it’s not inconvenient, but maybe I should have mentioned… all the names are Germanic and Celtic and Anglo-Saxon names. I would be happy to send it to you if you want, but I didn’t think you used those kinds of names.
    If you still want the list, I’ll weed out the names I know for a fact I’m using (dibs and prior claims and all that) and…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy posted an update 11 years ago

    @daniel-leinad-thompson (by the way, I have a hard time believing that is really your middle name 😛 ) I seem to remember you saying somewhere that you were working on a dystopian COMEDY. You remarked in the podcast today that dystopian fiction is usually pretty dark, so I was wondering. Was the idea for a dystopian COMEDY just a ‘because you…[Read more]

    • Yeah, that’s totes a thing. A lot of my project conceptualizations start with the phrase “it can’t be done”, oftentimes coming from my own mouth, before my overarching (and highly optimistic) ideology of NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE kicks in. This idea though, while it had traces of that, was more of a, “Hey, this hasn’t been done yet, let’s go for…[Read more]

      • Wow. That’s great. If anyone can take something totally depressing and make it comic, it will be you. 😛
        What kind of comedy are you going for? Slapstick? Snarky, sarcastic humor? Irony? Or wit? The only kind of humor I seem to be able to handle well is a mix of the snarky, sarcastic humor and the wit. For some reason I just can’t do slapstick…[Read more]

        • My current style is very . . . British? It combines a very specific type of narrative tone with completely ridiculous things happening, but very specific character development that births the type of everyday comedy people have in conversations, which keeps the story grounded. At least, that’s what I think I’m doing. I’m no pro, I’m just kinda…[Read more]

          • Riiiiiiiight. Gotcha. >D Hey, I thought the punchline was ‘Get rid of cable’!

            I think I know what you mean about a ‘British’ style. Did you mean the kind of dry, matter-of-fact style that takes everything in stride no matter how wacky it is?
            And then of course the dialogue. I’ll have to say most of the humor I write is in the dialogue. All my…[Read more]

  • Oh yes. Me too. Outlining fries all my creative juices.

  • @Mark
    Definitely see what you’re saying. Descriptions about that sort of stuff should probably get in there, just to get a clearer image of the time period (as I’m *cough* kind of imagining it).
    @Kate
    I do think I’ll be keeping Quinn. He was Quinn or Quinlan for a long time when I was just coming up with the concept, so ditching it now would be…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    @Daeus: hey… you may have something there. XD
    For Your Information: my brothers are as follows. William. (Scottish/Gaulish). Douglas. (Scottish). Morgan. (Welsh). Christopher. (Latin/Anglo-Saxon). But yeah, I do love names. All you really have to know is the roots of the language to figure out pretty much what any one name in that general…[Read more]

  • Yes! You guys have made the difference in my writing, taking it from something so-so to something I would proudly acknowledge to be my own. I’m the only writer in my family, and all you wonderful staff have been the encouragement and practical wisdom I lacked when it came to writing. Thank you all so much!

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    Daeus thinks ‘Quinn’ is not old enough, but I loved it because it’s unique. It’s different— I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard or read it before. It sounds to me like it could be a name from a culture I have very little clue about, and that makes me curious about that culture. I’m not bashing you, Daeus (ha! How would I dare?) but just so you…[Read more]

  • Thanks, Daeus! The advice about making readers feel like they were reading an ancient, fragile volume really got me thinking especially. 😉 I’ll try and come up with more ways to make it seem older.

  • Okay, yeah… sounds like Quinn. 🙂 And I was thinking of around 30, age wise, so good guess! 😉
    I actually had to change his character a bit from my 1st write of this piece. He was a little showy-sounding at first and it was making me wince. But, after changing it he doesn’t seem as flat now. So obviously that helped. And hey, yeah. Knocking out…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    I like hugs. So… thanks. I’ll take that one.
    Ahem… um… Quinn? I like him first because he is compassionate, maybe quietly shrewd.

    Captain Quinn leaned his tall body over the wheel,
    “You’ve had a good shift, mate. Why don’t you go below and get some rest?”
    Not many captains would show such quiet, un-condescending concern for their crew, a…[Read more]

  • First, let me say I really like Captain Quinn. I mean, really like him. Eamon has too many teeth. Finnian is a little more nervous than I think he wants to be.

    Aaaahh! *hugs you* You make me so happy. XD Eamon has too many teeth… I love it. I approve of all those opinions. 🙂 May I ask what exactly you like specifically about Quinn? Maybe…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    Oh, and also, who is the MC? Finnian or Captain Quinn? Not that you necessarily needed to make that obvious in this part of the book just yet, but I’m curious.

    By the way… do I espy in Finnian a likely convert? Or is that top secret? 😉

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago

    Wow… I like this. A lot.
    I had a few suggestions, though.
    First, let me say I really like Captain Quinn. I mean, really like him. Eamon has too many teeth. Finnian is a little more nervous than I think he wants to be.
    And yeah. All that stuff.
    It clung to the Finnian’s clothes and made them damp and sticky as he watched out into the night, k…[Read more]

  • The genre for this little tidbit is a rather confusing, so I’ll explain that first.
    So, this is set after the tower of babel dispersion. Everyone is spreading out over the world at this point, and the main conflict is between the idol worshipers and those who follow “Noah’s God”.
    The post-flood world is mainly unexplored off the Eurasian…[Read more]

  • Haha! I know what you mean. I noticed that this great discussion was going on, and I wasn’t a part of it, and it made me want to go and kill someone off in my novel.

    Okay… maybe not.

  • Isn’t it amazing that God actually cared that much about something that small? You didn’t laugh at the picture because you’re a fallen creature, fighting against the sin in your bones. Even though we’ve been trying all this time to wrap our minds around the deep moral dilemmas behind this complex, stirring issue . . . all that stopped for somethi…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writing with meter in the forum Poetry 11 years ago

    Oh good! I’m glad I was able to be of assistance.
    Yes, ‘The Hobbit’ did have poetry in it, though more of it was on the comic side than is common with Tolkien. But then, the Hobbit was a bedtime story (he wrote it for his children) and it was on the whole lighter and more comical than the Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings is a very…[Read more]

  • Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 11 years ago

    Tatiana— I’m always glad to meet another Tolkienite!
    I totally agree about Faramir. In fact I’ve just been reading the LOTR for the second time (complete time, that is— skimming doesn’t count) and I found myself falling in love with him all over again. Sometimes I just cannot choose who my favorite characters are, no matter how much I like…[Read more]

  • Load More
>