@aella
Active 8 years, 8 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 160
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Heart-Stopping Moments in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Oh yes, @kate-flournoy…Long white hands and fingers with a grip of steel, a sure sign it’s the Pimpernel. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 11 years ago
@ezra-wilkinson Hey Ezra I thought I’d give you a shout— Vampires and Zombies has been revived again, in case you wanted to head on over there and get into the discussion you missed. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Yes, thank you both— I probably need to clarify that. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh? in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Good thoughts, Rolena. Thanks for sharing.
So yes. Your post definitely established that vampires and zombies are evil, but that isn’t what we were debating. I misunderstood that at first myself—that we were not debating whether they were evil or not, but whether or not we—understanding fully their wickedness and ties to darkness and…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Yeeaahh… pretty much. Welcome to the world of Henty, all ye uninitiated.
-
Emma replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
The only Henty books I’ve read are In Freedom’s Cause and Treasure of the Incas. How do those compare with the repetition/character flatness of his other works, in you all’s opinions?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Heart-Stopping Moments in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Yes! Totally get what you mean.
But you forgot a rule.
The filthy, slimy character with long hands is always Sir Percy in disguise. Without fail.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Glad you like the name! It’s Norse… 😛
No, the watchman is not a girl— good guess, though! It could almost be that way, couldn’t it? But the watchman is what is technically called a ‘mook’. He doesn’t have a name, appears for only one scene, and then disappears for the rest of the book. These kinds of characters are usually the ones that die…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Yes, I like (‘like’ is relative) all those you mentioned, Daeus, if for no other reason than that they are all so historically rich. Another one I liked, partly because I am a history buff, fascinated with all Old English stuff, and an avid reader of Shakespeare’s historical plays, was Both Sides the Border.
@Hope— hey, I do that mental…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Not to say I don’t like his stuff; I’ve really enjoyed a number of his writing. It’s just that the more I read, the more patterns I see, and the less enjoyable it is over time.
I completely agree. I picked up a Henty book recently after not reading one for a long time and keep mentally correcting all the things you shouldn’t do……[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Like everyone else here, I love the name Denholm. 🙂
Question…is the watchman a girl? Clear young eyes; smooth cheeks; visor down; not speaking… He might not be, but I can see a possibility…
Anyway, one thing no one else pointed out. At the very beginning of the scene, Denholm looks at the spear stuck in the wood. Reading the rest of the…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Like everyone else here, I love the name Denholm. 🙂
Question…is the watchman a girl? Clear young eyes; smooth cheeks; visor down; not speaking… He might not be, but I can see a possibility. 🙂
Anyway, one thing no one else pointed out. At the very beginning of the scene, Denholm looks at the spear stuck in the wood. Reading the rest of the…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Heart-Stopping Moments in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Rule #1: The Scarlet Pimpernel is never dead.
Rule #2: The Scarlet Pimpernel always knows what he’s doing.
Rule #3: Don’t mess with Sir. Percy’s wife.I love the Scarlet Pimpernel books; there are some pretty good parts. 🙂
One thing I find thrilling in books is when I get to a spot, and suddenly the title of the story makes…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Actually, Martin Rattler and Peterkin are Ballentyne. I get them mixed up too! But Ballentyne is great with characterization. His plots are not as fast or intricate or exciting than Henty, but his characters— there’s no comparison.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
But Henty did a good job with his side characters. Peterkin and that sailor from Martin Rattler (Can’t remember the name) were great. Martin Rattler is actually a lot like Tintin. Tintin is a really extreme role-model perfect character. But if a little kid goes “Oh, I want to be like Tintin!” It’s more a question of where to start. I mean, he’s…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Okay Rosey— I see what you’re saying. Yes, I definitely could have constructed that sentence better. Thank you…
…and just so you know, I have no clue what a verb is. I know. I’m a writer. I’m supposed to know these things. But every English program I ever took went in one ear and out the other. *sigh* Oh well. I know how to use them—…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Heart-Stopping Moments in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Oooh… nice topic. Good and un-serious. 😛
Um… for some reason I get the impression that I have had many more than currently come to mind, but the one I can think of off the top of my head comes from a book that I think is relatively little known. ‘El Dorado’, by Baroness Orczy. It belongs to the story of ‘The Scarlet Pimpernel’. Actually,…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Private Messaging in the forum Questions and Support 11 years ago
Is there anyway to private message someone…like if anyone was interested in exchanging e-mail addresses with a critique partner or something like that?
-
Hope Ann started the topic Heart-Stopping Moments in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
How about a light, inspirational thread? 🙂
What are some ‘heart-stopping’ moments in books you’ve read…things that either make you want to write a scene like that or give up writing altogether because other authors are so much better? 😉
Note: by ‘heart-stopping’ I mean the scenes (or the climax of a plot line) which makes you clap your…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
I read through that sentence a few more times. There are actually a few ways to read that I guess, and I accented the wrong words. What I was thinking was that you had hit a midway point between
“Some of the inkwells broke, spreading puddles of greasy ink on the black granite and the scattered parchments.”
and
“Some of the inkwells broke and…[Read more] - Load More

Yaaaay.
I’m just, so tired.
Oh dear. That’s bad. I didn’t know moose could get tired… is it your head? Isn’t it somewhat painful carrying around those… um… impressive antlers all day?
It’s working at a moose coffee shop 18 hours in two days. Ant the antlers.
Wow… I can see how that would get really old, really fast. But keep it up. Even moose can’t publish without money. And some persons (like that adorable green dragon in the picture to the left of this comment, for example) would be glad to have even that chance to earn a little towards their publishing fund. But ow. I sympathize. If that helps at all.
Since it probably doesn’t… KEEP GOING, EZRA THE MOOSEMAN! DON’T LET A PUNY LITTLE THING LIKE A COFFEE SHOP DEFEAT YOU! YOU KILLED BO BOBO WITH NOTHING MORE THAN A PEN! C’MON, DON’T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT! KEEP GOING!
And if all else fails, pretend you were captured and put in a zoo where you have to serve coffee to everyone who comes to gawk at…[Read more]
Actually I like my job. It’s just that working there a lot is tiring. Fun work. Tiring work. Fun. Tiring.
I wish random customers happy birthday at the drive-thru. It’s funny.
Well that’s good, then. It’s always better if you enjoy your work. Good. I’m glad to hear it.
Really… I am.
Wooooow. Now I see where that moose story stemmed from.
HC