Morally Perfect Characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Morally Perfect Characters

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Yes, I like (‘like’ is relative) all those you mentioned, Daeus, if for no other reason than that they are all so historically rich. Another one I liked, partly because I am a history buff, fascinated with all Old English stuff, and an avid reader of Shakespeare’s historical plays, was Both Sides the Border.

@Hope
      — hey, I do that mental correction thing too! It can actually be pretty annoying, sometimes, to see all the mistakes and be distracted from the good points.

One thing I dislike intensely about Henty is that all the historical characters— the kings and rebels and outlaws and stuff that really lived— are portrayed as one dimensional people who exist to lead charges, be rescued by the MC, give a stiff, stilted speech on the MC’s bravery, and die— or sometimes knight the MC with effusions of gratitude that makes me turn green in the face.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

What about Robespierre in “In the reign of terror”? I thought he seemed pretty real, though he still suffered a little from that malady.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma
        @emma
          • Total Posts: 40

The only Henty books I’ve read are In Freedom’s Cause and Treasure of the Incas. How do those compare with the repetition/character flatness of his other works, in you all’s opinions?

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Henty’s works go like this. There’s this boy of about the age of 17 who generally livse in Britain and ends up traveling to some other country where he has his adventures. Usually this happens by him joining the army or navy. Through the character’s honesty, skill, friends, and the willingness to take advantage of every opportunity, he ends up becoming a general hero of sorts in a surprisingly small amount of time. Quite often he is given some position of command because of his abilities. While he is rising through the ranks, he always has this one friend who is generally a year or two older than him, but who always takes his advise with perfect respect knowing who is really the wiser. When he rises through the ranks or to some sort of higher position than he had before, his friend always stays by him. Together they fight many battles and get captured (or nearly captured) at least once. Sometimes it is the friend that gets captured, sometimes it is the MC, and sometimes it is some girl the MC meets in the course of things. Who ever gets captured, the ones who didn’t get captured alway end up helping the other escape. Generally, the villain is either the enemy or some outlaw or someone who is jealous of the MC’s success. Generally, the villain is not captured or killed or anything. Usually he is just beaten to the point where he is no longer a threat or escaped from. Henty writes great escapes. When the characters do escape, they finish off with a few more adventures and then the MC goes and marries that one girl he met on his journeys. Together they move back to England which is the land of happy ever after (or so Henty says).

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

Yeeaahh… pretty much. Welcome to the world of Henty, all ye uninitiated.

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya
                • Total Posts: 318

When in doubt, follow my some of two favorite heroes: Captain America and King David. Analyze their lives. That’s what true heroes are.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya

Don’t slam me that I didn’t put Jesus Christ. My point in that post was that these people did have failings. They failed more than once. But overall they were remarkable people. And just as good old Xavier says, “Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, doesn’t mean they are lost forever.”

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Hey that’s a good quote, Mark Kamibaya. (Sorry, we have more than one Mark here now) Who said it?
                    And good point. I like that. That basically sums it up for me.

Mark Kamibaya
                    @mark-kamibaya

Thanks @kate-flournoy Charles Xavier said it from X-men Days of Future Past.

Who’s the other Mark? Sorry, but I haven’t been on here for a long time.

Mark Kamibaya
                      @mark-kamibaya

Oh, and I do think that seriously flawed characters are okay (read my Xavier quote). However, the problem with that is you don’t want somebody honoring someone who has issues. That’s why antiheroes (flawed heroes) can be used, but true heroes (with flaws, but overall remarkable people) are the best.

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

A gentleman by the name of Mark McGuire. He identifies as a platypus. He’ll probably turn up somewhere.

Mark Kamibaya
                          @mark-kamibaya

Nice . . . he sounds like another Ezra Wilkinson. But of course he can’t be. Because he’s a platypus.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >