Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Hannah C
    @hannah-c
      • Total Posts: 362

@Reagan and @Ezra obviously some of what I said was sarcasm as I stated but I was trying to make a point. The point being if cannibalism is wrong then what is the difference between that and vampires? However, I see now that the point was kinda unnecessary. It was late when I posted that and my brain wasn’t exactly working with all its gears turning the same direction. Either way so long as we all agree they’re evil.

HC

Ezra Wilkinson
      @ezra-wilkinson
        • Total Posts: 146

Wait…would you say it’s wrong to have cannibals in a story?

Reagan Ramm
        @reaganramm
          • Total Posts: 110

@Reagan and @Ezra obviously some of what I said was sarcasm as I stated but I was trying to make a point. The point being if cannibalism is wrong then what is the difference between that and vampires? However, I see now that the point was kinda unnecessary. It was late when I posted that and my brain wasn’t exactly working with all its gears turning the same direction. Either way so long as we all agree they’re evil.

Right. I would say there isn’t much difference between cannibalism and vampires. No one is saying murdering someone and drinking their blood is a good thing. We all think that’s evil. The question isn’t whether or not it’s evil. The question is whether or not it should be written about.

If we just shouldn’t write about evil or gruesome things, then a lot of things become off limits.

You can’t write about war, you can’t write about the Holocaust, you can’t write about any sin at all.

So unless you can show what makes vampires worse than a human villain killing someone, say, in a WWII historical fiction, then either both are permissible to write about, or neither are.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Reagan Ramm.

My Music:
          AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
          OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Hannah C
          @hannah-c

@Ezra Frankly I am undecided as to whether or not they should be in a story. I don’t know of anyone who would want to read let alone write a story about cannibals or that have them in there.

@Reagan true but those things are all real. When we talk of vampires we are entering the realms of dark fantasy and I’m not sure that’s right.

HC

Ezra Wilkinson
            @ezra-wilkinson

I’m getting lost…

Reagan Ramm
              @reaganramm

@Reagan true but those things are all real. When we talk of vampires we are entering the realms of dark fantasy and I’m not sure that’s right.

Okay, so you think we should only write about things that really happened? Would you say all Fantasy and Sci-fi stories are wrong, and it is sinful to write them then?

My Music:
                AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Hannah C
                @hannah-c

I didn’t say that. I think when we start getting into the magical/witchcraft part of fantasy that I think it’s wrong. Vampires fall into that category in my opinion. I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong to make things up (world’s, government, historical fiction, etc.) I just think the magical sort of part is. Leave that out and it’s alright.

I don’t know, maybe I’m not putting it right. So much for being a writer…

HC

Hannah C
                  @hannah-c

@Ezra how are you getting lost?

HC

Reagan Ramm
                    @reaganramm

Okay, that makes more sense. I have just never considered vampires to fall into the realm of witchcraft. I can’t remember if it was you or someone else, did you say you are against reading Narnia and LotR?

My Music:
                      AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                      OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Hannah C
                      @hannah-c

I said I’m against reading Narnia and possibly even reading LoTR but I’ve watched the LoTR movies. Personally I like the Hobbit movies better.

hC

Ezra Wilkinson
                        @ezra-wilkinson

@Ezra how are you getting lost?

Well…it seems to me one second people say it’s wrong because it’s real things, and we shouldn’t make light of real Satanic things, and now I’m hearing it’s not right because it’s Dark Fantasy.

I don’t even know what to believe anymore?!

Hannah C
                          @hannah-c

Well…it seems to me one second people say it’s wrong because it’s real things, and we shouldn’t make light of real Satanic things, and now I’m hearing it’s not right because it’s Dark Fantasy.

I don’t even know what to believe anymore?!

Yes well, dark fantasy/magic = witchcraft. Witchcraft is very real and very evil. Its pretty much all the same thing. Yes? No?

I know, it has gotten confusing at times.

HC

Reagan Ramm
                            @reaganramm

Ezra, I think this is because Hannah and Sarah believe two different things.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is where we stand:

Hannah C:
                              Vampires don’t exist, but witchcraft does.
                              We should not write about witchcraft
                              Vampires are related to witchcraft
                              Therefore, we should not write about vampires

Yes, no, Hannah? My only questions would be, what makes you think vampires are related to witchcraft, and, what Biblical evidence do you have to say we should never write about witchcraft? The Bible certainly condemns the practice of witchcraft. The Bible also condemns the practice of murder though, and you think it is okay to write about murder, yes? No?

Sarah Hoven
                              Vampires exist in the real world.
                              Vampires are evil creatures not to be taken lightly.
                              It’s okay to write about vampires so long as the above premises are upheld.
                              Therefore, we should not write stories that make light of vampires, or portray them as mere fantasy.

So Sarah and Hannah disagree on the existence of vampires.

Ezra and myself
                              Vampires are evil creatures.
                              Vampires do not actually exist in the real world however, and are complete fantasy.
                              Handled appropriately, it is okay to write about evil things, including vampires.

Am I correct? Is this where everyone stands?

My Music:
                              AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                              OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Hannah C
                              @hannah-c

@Reagan yes I think you’ve pretty much pegged down what I believe.

My only questions would be, what makes you think vampires are related to witchcraft, and, what Biblical evidence do you have to say we should never write about witchcraft? The Bible certainly condemns the practice of witchcraft. The Bible also condemns the practice of murder though, and you think it is okay to write about murder, yes? No?

As I said, dark fantasy and magic and witchcraft are all closely linked. Perhaps I’m wrong in saying that but that’s how I feel. Vampires are part of dark fantasy. And I don’t have exact Biblical evidence because other than the verse in Phillipians that tells us what to think on, I don’t know of anywhere that it tells us what to write about. But we do have the example of the Bible and what is written in there so I suppose we could use that as writing guidelines.

HC

Reagan Ramm
                                @reaganramm

What exactly do you mean by dark fantasy? You mean anything that is evil and made-up?

Also, do you ever include an instances of evil in your stories? If so, how do you justify that with Philippians 4:8? And how are we to reconcile Philippians 4:8 with instances in the Bible that deal with very dark subject matter?

I understand where you are coming from, Hannah. There are a lot of people who take this too far and think Christians need to highlight the dark parts of the world, or bring them to our attention. I don’t think so. I think we need to look to the Bible as our example.

The Bible discusses evil, but not in graphic detail. Plus, the focus is never on the evil, but on good. On good defeating evil. On Jesus defeating sin. But you can’t have this heroic victory if you have no enemy.

We definitely need to be Writers of Light but that doesn’t mean we exclude all evil from our stories.

But, if you can objectively point out how vampires in and of themselves fall into the graphic sin department that we should not show in our stories, then I would be swayed. So far you have just said that it is your opinion that we shouldn’t write about them, and haven’t provided any real objective evidence, which is totally fine.

As Paul points out in Romans 14:14, “I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.”

So I am definitely not saying you should write about vampires. I’m not saying anyone should write about them. If you think it is wrong, then it would be wrong for you. But unless more objective evidence is brought forward, I don’t think we can say it is always wrong for every person in every context to write about them.

My Music:
                                  AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                                  OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >