Your Passion in Writing

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Your Passion in Writing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Stephie
    @stephie
      • Total Posts: 55

@esther-c

I read that article and yes, it is SO GOOD. I don’t really write very happy books, but they usually turn out well — or are supposed to turn out well, because I don’t finish them often. Sort of like what @trailblazer said about how they don’t feel relevant enough. I think the most joyful story I’ve written was when I was seven or eight years old. It was about a girl called Mina and all the different things she did to take care of her cat, all to curl up cosily at the end of the day and say that it was worth it. I wrote it because *somebody* doesn’t like cats. (I’m not going to say who out of respect for that somebody.)

You know, I should probably rewrite that story. Looking back, it has the potential to be a lovely picture book if I write it nicely and get an illustrator. *Pats 8-year-old me on the back*

Now about Anne with an E: I loved the series, except for how woke it is. It was sort of historically inaccurate, which was annoying. There was also a certain portrayal of homosexuality. For example, Josephine Barry is a lesbian in the show, and her partner — Gertrude I think — is deceased. Knowing this, Anne goes on to explain to Marilla and Matthew that she wants everyone to be able to have a wedding — and that she doesn’t even want to call it marriage.

One thing I really lament is the loss of Josephine Barry as a single woman. I love marriage (ok that sounded weird, I am not married) but the way she was single in the books was really powerful for her time. Giving her a partner was, in my opinion, a bad move, even if she was not to be a gay partner.

Anyhow… Someday I’m going to mess up and step on a landmine with this controversial mess. Oh well — Jesus is very well able to put me back together again.

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

Trailblazer
      @trailblazer
        • Total Posts: 584

@stephie

That’s disgusting how they’ve changed it from the original story so much. I loved Anne of Green Gables as a child, and if the series would stick to the way the story actually was, I would love to watch it. However, if it’s gonna be full of stuff like that, it’s not worth it to me. 

I’m not ever going to apologize for promoting marriage the way God designed it to be, regardless of the landmines I might step on. They’re meant to intimidate and shut down the voice of those who live according to the Bible. “Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it.” (William Penn) The taunting of the enemy is just a fear tactic to get us to stay silent, because if we stay silent, we stay enslaved. The only way our generation can be set free from the chains of lies is if someone brings them the truth. 

Ok I could go keep going with this, but that’s not really the point of this topic, and I’ve already touched on this a little bit in a different forum topic. 

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h
          • Total Posts: 3871

@stephie @trailblazer what’s all this about land mines????

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Trailblazer
          @trailblazer

@keilah-h

I think @stephie was trying to say she might say something that offends someone. And my point was that even if it does spark backlash, we shouldn’t be afraid to stand for what God has created and called sacred. 

I think the reason there is such an attack on marriage right now is because the union of a man and woman is a reflection of the union between Christ and His Bride- the church. And anything that looks like God is something the devil hates. 

Lol can you tell this gets me fired up?

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h

@trailblazer ahh ok

that makes sense lol

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings
                • Total Posts: 2793

@whalekeeper

Well because we seem to have already chatted abt this I’ll try to share something new lol. I really like facial expressions in manga and anime, their just so hilarious lol, and I strive to create the situations in my book that would make my characters make those expressions XD It’s really fun too me and definitely a reason I write.

Also, to defy stereotypes I think. I’m trying to show two different versions of relationships, with stay at home Everly and adventurous Lesli. I’m sick and tired of female characters being mean and physically strong to show their strength, so uh yeah. One of Lesli’s character arcs is trying to understand how unfair she feels it is that Tauren’s like a foot taller than her and a lot stronger, when in reality she just needs to realize that that isn’t what matters in her life.

And then of course there’s the whole thing of how every character I have (Except Jonathan) is in some way related to me? Lol.

I just realized that Layson’s thing that is like me is that he gets excluded from stuff because his family isn’t completely normal lol. Like family people don’t really know how to relate to him as a young single dad.

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h

@mineralizedwritings i love your forum signature lol, just put it through translate

I love snakes too. Why do you suppose I have a charrie named Snake? (I didn’t name him, but does it still count?) And future generations after his death use “Snake’s Teeth” as an expression, because he was so famous……

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings
                    • Total Posts: 2793

@keilah-h

XD thanks! I’m taking Japanese rn. I put it through translate too just to make sure I did it right lol.

You do! I forgot about that! Oh that’s super cool! I always like when expressions relevant to history are worked into worldbuilding.

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@mineralizedwritings did my post just get eaten? ugh

gonna have to repost it

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

I was just saying thanks, and also putting the expression through translate and seeing what it came up with lol

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer

@stephie

I think you need to insult Wyoh again… I don’t see whatever you posted. 

LoopyLin
                          @loopylin
                            • Total Posts: 2013

Wyoh, I hope the tags on all your clothes never stop being annoyingly scratchy

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

LoopyLin
                            @loopylin
                              • Total Posts: 2013

Yay, it worked! I didn’t have anything to say, lol, I just wanted to help with bullying Wyoh

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Stephie
                              @stephie
                                • Total Posts: 55

Wyoh, my dear online ghost, how is life?

@mineralizedwritings

It’s really interesting to read about how you’ve been inspired by the expressions on anime characters. It’s very unique and I love it 🙂

I only know how to count to ten in Japanese and that’s about it lol. Good luck learning!

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@loopylin @stephie my insults to Wyoh will probably involve stuff out of my stories that nobody will get lol

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >