YA Fantasy Retelling Alpha Readers Needed

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests YA Fantasy Retelling Alpha Readers Needed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Kayleigh Idea
    @kayleigh-idea
      • Total Posts: 67

Alpha call!
      I’m looking for alpha readers to read my YA fantasy novel, Project Gorgon, and provide honest and helpful feedback.

***accepting beta readers until February 20, 2021 (OPEN)

Blurb: A loose retelling of Medusa and Snow White, this story of jealousy and vanity explores the true meaning of beauty and self-worth.

Prove her innocence. Regain her magic.

In Osor there are two types of people: the brown-eyed Skytarrans and the blue-eyed Celekals. Born into a Skytarran family with one brown eye and one blue eye, Aria Gorgon is a miracle, making her famous throughout the country.

As the time comes for Queen Rhea to step down and select the next ruler of Osor, now sixteen-year-old Aria wants to be chosen more than anything. But when she’s framed for murder on the day of the choosing ceremony, she’s stripped of her most prized possessions: her magic and beauty.

Banished to the dark, mist covered and beast filled forest of Exoria, Aria faces a death sentence and has good reason to suspect that the queen was behind the framing. But when she meets others who are just like her, Aria manages to survive, wanting only to get back home so she can prove her innocence and regain her magic and beauty.

But as she evades new attempts on her life by the queen and becomes suspicious there’s something her new friends aren’t telling her, going back doesn’t prove to be easy.

And as she discovers secrets about her past and the kingdom she once held so dear, she must come to terms with who she truly is. But after the queen’s final attack, leaving her on the brink of death, will Aria make it back to recover what’s been taken from her?

Genre: YA Fantasy

Format: Novel

Status: currently writing. I will be editing as I write, so hopefully it won’t be too messy

Word count: estimated 80k words and 60 chapters

Content labels: violence, mild alcohol use, romance, magic, potentially gross descriptions of medical injuries

Who I’m looking for: People who love fantasy (either writers or readers of this genre) and are willing to commit to reading the whole novel and provide HONEST feedback.

Wanted Feedback: Big picture feedback, such as plot holes, world-building, characters, pacing etc. (I will provide Google Forms for alpha readers to submit their feedback every five chapters).

Unwanted feedback: grammar, typose, word etc.

How it works: I will give alpha readers access to a Google Doc and every Sunday, I will add five chapters (approximately 2k words each) to the doc starting on February 21, 2021 and ending approximately. May 2, 2021 (this is a rough estimate because I don’t know the exact number of chapters but alpha readers will be notified of any scheduling changes).

Alpha readers will have one week to read the current five chapters and submit a Google Form by the next Sunday (i.e. I will be sending the first five chapters on February 21, 2021. These chapters must be read and the form submitted by the following Sunday, February 28, 2021. There will be at least one week where alpha readers will have two weeks to read the five chapters. I will provide more info when the time comes). After the entire read, there will also be a final Google Form to cover alpha readers thoughts for the entire book. The last day to submit this form will be approximately May 9, 2021.

Finally, I know this is a given, but if you sign up to be an alpha reader, you are also promising not to share any of the documents I share with you or steal any of my work to claim as your own.

Thank you for your interest in being an alpha reader! Please comment below if you are interested or have any questions. And if you can’t commit to this now, I may also need beta readers further down the road. 🙂

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@kayleigh-idea *waves hand wildly* I would love to alpha read for you! I do read and write fantasy (granted, not as much as everyone else on here does XD), can certainly commit to reading five chapters a week, and would love to give you honest feedback on your novel!

Is there anything else you would like to know?

PS: Project Gorgon sounds so interesting! I love the idea of a Medusa/Snow White retelling!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Kayleigh Idea
        @kayleigh-idea

@Gracie-J.

Thank you so much!

That’s totally enough. 🙂

You’re too kind. Thanks again!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Kayleigh Idea.
          Gracie J.
          @gracie-j

@kayleigh-idea You’re so welcome! Thank you!

E. K. Seaver
            @e-k-seaver
              • Total Posts: 344

@kayleigh-idea, I’d love to alpha for you! I haven’t alpha’d a project in several months and I would love to get back into it again!

Also, Gracie is a great beta reader.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
              ekseaver.wordpress.com

Kayleigh Idea
              @kayleigh-idea

@e-k-seaver yay! Thank you!

I can’t wait for you both to read it!

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j

@e-k-seaver Aw! Thank you! 🙂

Scoutillus Finch
                  @scoutfinch180
                    • Total Posts: 413

@kayleigh-idea

I would love to read it! it sounds so fascinating! I have never been any sort of Alpha or Beta reader (I’m not even sure what they are exactly besides they give you outside feedback) but I don’t know how my schedule is going to look for those five chapters a week.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Kayleigh Idea
                    @kayleigh-idea

@scoutfinch180 awesome! Alpha readers are just people who read your book and give feedback. They’re different from beta readers because they usually read the first draft (but I’m editing as I write) while beta readers read a more polished draft. Do you still want to do it even if you might not have enough time? If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them! 🙂

Elizabeth
                      @lewilliams
                        • Total Posts: 252

@kayleigh-idea Wow, your summary has me hooked. Tragically, I’m rather swamped at the moment, but please let me know once the time comes for beta-ing! Hopefully I’ll have the space in my life by then. Good luck with editing!!!

(Also, I don’t believe we’ve met. Hi, I’m Elizabeth. :P)

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Kayleigh Idea
                        @kayleigh-idea

@lewilliams thank you so much! I totally understand being busy but I will tag you when I need betas!

(Hi! It’s nice to meet you.)

Issabelle Perry
                          @issawriter7
                            • Total Posts: 976

@kayleigh-idea

Wow, this sounds EPIC!!! I can’t really take on anymore critiquing projects right now (I’m swamped with school), but if you ever do beta readers in the future I’d LOOVE to join in then!!!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                            TeenWritersNook.com

Kayleigh Idea
                            @kayleigh-idea

@issawriter7 thank you so much! I understand. I will let you know when I need betas!

ella
                              @nova21
                                • Total Posts: 604

@kayleigh-idea

Wow, I love your WIP idea—so interesting!!!  I think this setup will work out for me.  I’ll probably be able to get in feedback over the weekends as I have school.

A little about me:  I’m a constant writer of fantasy and I’ve been writing (and learning about writing) forever.  I have experience with beta-reading.  Like I said, if it all works out, I’ll most likely be submitting feedback over the weekend.

So ya, this looks awesome and I’d love to help you out!! 😃

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                                -gladiator, 2000

Kayleigh Idea
                                @kayleigh-idea

@nova21 thank you so much! You have no idea how much that means to me! Sounds good.

It’s nice to meet you! I always love meeting other fantasy writers. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >