Writing Villains

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Characters ā€ŗ Writing Villains

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 8156

@whalekeeper Yep, balance is good šŸ˜€

Yep, lol, same! Some villains are just evil to beā€¦evil. Itā€™s not like they all have a tragic backstory šŸ˜‚ And exactly, their past, whether tragic or not, doesnā€™t justify anything they do. Yep, I agree 100%

@smiley
      awww, love the outfits!!!! Yeahhh, Iā€™m definitely getting Descendents vibes šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I actuallyĀ haveĀ watched the first Descendents movie, lolā€¦it was actually pretty good!! XXD

Smiley
      @smiley
        • Total Posts: 2179

@freedomwriter76

yeah I liked it, mostly because I like seeing where each character ended up from the movies,

And Ben was a favorite, mostly because his parents were Belle and the Beast

Oxygen shortage

do your part, hold your breath

hybridlore
        @hybridlore
          • Total Posts: 1354

@smiley

Youā€™re welcome!! And haha, no I havenā€™t watched it either šŸ˜…

@whalekeeper
          @freedomwriter76

Yeah, I agree, thatā€™s a good way to think about it. Haha I mean of course itā€™s not good, but some people just donā€™t care about sin, yā€™know?

whalekeeper

Yeah, definitely! I try to make sure my characters are still good, but I think having antagonists or ā€œvillainsā€ who have good reasons for what theyā€™re doing, or even seem likeable, add more depth to the story, and then of course I get my theme šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Yep!!

There is always light behind the clouds.
          - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3202

@mineralizedwritings @smiley @freedomwriter76

Okā€¦ so this is totally unrelated to this topic but I saw it and Iā€™m very curious.

What is all this beard stuff about??? Because I totally missed something while I was gone. šŸ¤£

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by Esther.

Write what should not be forgotten. ā€” Isabel Allende

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 8156

@esther-c šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

sorry, that just made me laugh XXD

OK, the beard stuff happened because me and Light said that Steve Rogers looks good with a beard, but Miley jumped in, said he looked better without oneā€¦and everyone had a small debate on whether or not Steve Rogers looked better with or without a beardā€¦and I also think/said that Bucky looks better with a beard too, and we all talked about that too šŸ˜‚

Me, Euodia, Light, Kylie (livingwoodchronicles), are all on the Beard Defenders sideā€¦Min is neutral, and Miley is against it 100% XXD

so yeahhhh, thatā€™s the beard thing šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Allison
              @acancello
                • Total Posts: 838

@smiley

Those are both really good! I like the green one, but the red one is also pretty cool. Iā€™ve seen the 3 Descendant movies and personally donā€™t think your missing out šŸ™‚

@whalekeeper

Well, I made it up so its probably not true. But she was three when it happened, they altered her brain, making so she wouldnā€™t look old. Since that kind of procedure is so new in 20xx it did not work.

Ā 

Otherworldly Historian
                @otherworldlyhistorian
                  • Total Posts: 215

@whalkeeper

I really like this topic.

Ā 

One of my antagonists named Sairin is really interesting because her motivations are actually good but her methods are really evil. Sairin is the leader of this one group that is trying to free their country from the nation (which is where most of the MCs come from (the government there isnā€™t the best and their occupation of Sairinā€™s country is unjust) who basically controls them. The thing that makes Sairin a bad person is that she will stop at nothing to accomplish her goal.

In terms of general stuff I personally donā€™t actually think of any of my characters as really being heroes and villainā€™s (I like to think in terms of antagonists and protagonists). This is because I feel like hero and villain is to much about heroes being definitively good and villains being definitively evil (this doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t have characters who are more villains and heroes I just find that approach limiting) . I feel like as long as you make it clear what actions are good and what actions are bad your readers can be given the ability either:

1.) see how narrative changes your view

2.) choose if a character is worthy of being a hero (sometimes this is obvious (sometimes itā€™s not))

Ā 

Through darkness,
                  light shines brightest

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

@whalekeeper

Both types of villains are interesting, in my opinion.

Evil-for-the-sake-of-evil is fine to me, as long as itā€™s done well.

And although I tend to like villains with sad backstories, there are times where one goes too far.

Ā 

One of those is Mapleshade from the warrior cats books. Sheā€™s probably intended to be a sympathetic villain. She fell in love with a cat she wasnā€™t supposed to, but kept it a secret. When her clan found out, they exiled her and her children. The three kittens drowned when they tried to cross the river. Another cat from the clan was watching, but stood by and did nothing because she was still angry about the lie.

When Mapleshade reached the other side of the river, her mate and his clan rejected her too. She vowed revenge on him and everyone else, and killed like 3 other cats, including the one whoā€™d stood by and watched while her kits drowned (who did deserve punishment, but not the horrible death that was given).

After all this, sheā€™s mortally wounded somehow (I donā€™t remember how exactly) and a while after she dies, she (her ghost? idk) basically haunts and manipulates a descendant of her old mate, plus she tries to torture a bunch of other cats, because they all had better lives than she did.

While she has a sad backstory, sheā€™s so revengeful and crazy, I hate her for ruining so many other charactersā€™ lives more than feel sorry for her.

Ā 

Iā€™m trying to think of an evil-for-the-sheer-sake-of-it villain I actually think is interesting so I can use that as a contrast.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@otherworldlyhistorian Personally, I think villain characters who have good motives, but their actions are evil, are pretty interesting.

Especially since you might start liking them, but then they do something and you see theyā€™re going somewhere they shouldnā€™t, and you can only watch horrified as they keep going down that path, and hope for their redemption.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore
                        • Total Posts: 1354

@keilah-h

I remember Mapleshade! I loved the warrior cats books!

Shes definitely a sympathetic villain šŸ˜‰

And yeah, I think those are my favoriteā€¦ Ones who are doing what they think is ā€œrightā€, or are forced to do something thatā€™s wrong

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by hybridlore.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Esther
                        @esther-c
                          • Total Posts: 3202

Ahh!! How did I totally forget to comment on this topic?!

*ahem*

Anyway, Iā€™ll probably get to it after I get home from vacay. šŸ˜‰

Write what should not be forgotten. ā€” Isabel Allende

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h

@hybridlore yep!

Mostly I hated how manipulative she was to Crookedjaw and others and how she tried to murder Sandstorm solely because she had a better life.

Whaley
                            @whalekeeper
                              • Total Posts: 2584

@keilah-h

Oh yeah, I remember reading some of that book. I hadnā€™t finished it though.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

@whalekeeper heh heh, yeah I think I only skimmed Mapleshadeā€™s book once she started killing. The other books (Crookedjawā€™s and the one where she tries to kill Sandstorm) I have read all the way through.

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 2584

@keilah-h

Right. If you canā€™t stomach it, you canā€™t.

Iā€™ve read the original series and started the second one ā€“ as well as some of the side books ā€“ and they were enjoyable. I left them not long afterwards because I didnā€™t have the dedication XD But I still have some fondness for them.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >