Writing Originally

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Writing Originally

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    SeekeroftheTruth
    @seekerofthetruth
      • Total Posts: 19

Hi, y’all, I have a dilemma.

For my story, which I’ll The Daughter of a Lion for the time being, I have a plot which involves a young girl with autism named Ariel Faith, who wants to find her family and a place to belong. She has missing parents and is considered an orphan, although her past is a mystery. Her life changes forever when a mysterious, glowing Lion with white fur and turquoise eyes named Judah comes into her life and brings her to a world called Agada. However, it co-exists with Earth, representing the life of faith between the world of unbelief and the eternal world of God’s Kingdom. Awed by Judah’s knowledge of her name and her parents, Ariel learns from Him in hopes of finding out what happened to her parents.

But the choice to follow Judah comes at a price: a dark force, Achan the Dragon of Death, knows of Ariel’s existence and will stop at nothing to recruit her into his army of darkness.

In Agada, Ariel goes on adventures, meeting and helping characters while learning lessons of virtues along the way. Also, she begins to become a warrior for Judah, as she learns the truth of not only her past but who she is.

Here’s where my problem comes in:

In my books (if there’s more than one after the first), there’s going to be talking animals and giants, since there’s been cases of such in the Bible. Judah (also known as the Lion of Light) represents Jesus Christ, as well as God and the Holy Spirit. Achan represents Satan, thus his title. I have three kids Ariel might meet in the story, but they’re not siblings.

I’m a huge fan of the Narnia books and movies. I respect C. S. Lewis and don’t want to plagiarize him. I even have themes of self-identity, peace, love, and trust.

How do I avoid being a plagiarist? I’m not trying to be a copycat, because that’s the last thing I want to be. I just like the idea of writing Christian allegory with (somewhat) fantasy, adventure, mystery, and faith.

I’ve read an article on Story Embers about how to imitate authors without accidentally plagiarizing their work, but I’m still worried.

Do you have any suggestions?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    >