Writing Kiss Scenes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Romance Writing Kiss Scenes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting
      • Total Posts: 1700

@scripter-of-kingdoms #iwouldliketoseeyoutry

@nanisnook
      Yes, very red.

@gracie-j
      Mm…maybe, maybe. You’ve seen how I skimp on descriptions. I mean…I guess if I can imagine kiss scenes…that might…hmmm….

Ah, yes, GWTW was very very spicy. And also, mood about cheek-kissing.

1. I’m sure there are, haha. I wouldn’t call the first scene that you posted here cringey. I didn’t cringe, haha. Mostly embarrassed.

2. Ah, intense romantic moments…I feel like I’ve done that before…usually leading into an almost kiss or something. I also get rather flustered when writing those but not as bad.

Ah, not always painful. Only painful when I planned it. But if I didn’t plan it and it comes out of nowhere I kind of…? enjoy it?

And yes, I’ll probably one day throw a thing into a doc and send it to you. And hide my face for days. (And I hope that guy comes back one day. I sure miss him.)

Welp, you’ve already started to change my mind with this topic. So let’s see where this goes.

Lately, it's been on my brain
      Would you mind letting me know
      If hours don't turn into days

Kads
      @scripter-of-kingdoms
        • Total Posts: 765

@gracie-j I mean… uh… I’ve actually been kissed before so I can provide advice on the whole feelings part.

@nanisnook
        @devastate-lasting I started out that way too. I’d used to be like “I want these two characters to kiss, but, uh, that’s really awkward, idk if I want to.” And then my heart would speed up literally thinking about it.
        Annnndddd then I wrote a romance short story, all of that went away. I think since I was kinda in that zone for the whole book, it desensitized me. There are counts on fingers at least three kiss scenes in that book, but the first one (since it’s their first kiss) I absolutely overloaded on description. XD

Nowadays I’ll write a random kiss scene or something every now and then. The important ones (character’s first kisses, revealing feelings for the other, etc) I describe quite a bit, but the unimportant ones are usually like “He brushed her lips against hers briefly, and then walked away”. No great detail there.
        Also nowadays, my reaction to writing a kiss scene is still something. Usually my heart pounds a little but that’s about it. XD

staring at the fields
        if nothing's really real
        i'll make the winter now my home

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@writerlexi1216 You’re so welcome!!! (Wait. Since Deek is for sure unattached, could you like write him a new girlfriend? One whose name is Grace? And is a brunette with really nerdy glasses? ‘Cause I think we would be so cute together. <3)

Definitely don’t force it! Just let it come naturally, no matter when that is! And you’re so welcome, girl! It’s my pleasure to be of assistance! 🙂

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting Oh, it’s painful when I plan it too. I try to have an idea of when or why it will occur, but I never plan anything down to the minute, so it’s so much easier and fun when it comes natural.

I would love to read anything you threw into a doc! 😉 And you wouldn’t have to hide your face at all! Just start small, with the three simple words “He kissed her.” Eventually you can add an adverb, and then before long, you’ll be churning out three-page-long scenes!

(Yeah, me too. But don’t nobody tell him I said that.)

@scripter-of-kingdoms
            WHAT? Dude. Did not expect that. (Any advice???)

Ah, I’m the same way! I have serious reactions to both writing and reading them–which usually includes a lot of gushy about how cute the couple is and everything. 😉 Y’all should hear me talk about Keaton. Or Ky. Or Mitch. Or…yeah, never mind.

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j Ahem. Yes. I used to do the “He kissed her.” thing. Recently I’ve been trying to take some advice in, uh, describing it. Me, trying to describe what it feels like out of my own imagination:

I also tend to cut things short, so you’ll probably be ending up with like a paragraph long thing. But yea, I might give it another try next time I get a chance, haha…

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

ella
              @nova21
                • Total Posts: 604

@gracie-j

OOO, I am loving this topic!! 😉  (You are such a good writer btw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  And you’re totally not the only romance guru out there–I adore sweet/well-written romances sooo much!!!!!!!!!

My favorite kiss scenes are the ones where you’ve been waiting for it for so long, and then when it happens, everything seems right in the world, just for a moment.  It’s so romantic!!  (i can feel my sister rolling her eyes at me–she is, like, the complete opposite of me, lol!  she says i vibrate when watching sweet romance scenes–hahaha, the mind of a writer…)

Anyways, in my current WIP, Hope and Michael (which is not a permanent name so me and my sister call him “Grey Couch”… Long story on that one, lol!  very long…..)  It’s a hate>friend>hate>friend (so on and so forth) relationship, and then bang!  They realize they’re meant for each other after a near-death situation (which may involve creepy encounters with a wacko dude in the woods at night).  But then, a couple chapters after, she “wakes up” from her vision and Grey Couch turns out to be her neighbor who never like-liked, if you know what I mean….  Poor Hope!  Anyways, there’s this kiss scene near the end before she wakes up, so I guess I’ll share it with y’all.  please please PLEASE don’t be hesitant to give me tips–I want to learn how to do it right (gladly without prior experience, lol)!!!!!!!!!!  also, there’s a little backstory with the “Rain-check” thing, but it doesn’t really matter.

He readjusts slightly to sit on my mat. I put down my cup and he wraps his arms around my waist. I lean against him with a small sigh. His warmth radiates through me.
                “Remember what I said earlier?” I whisper, staring at the flickering candles on the floor.
                “In the woods?” His breath tickles my cheek.
                I nod.
                “Yeah, I remember.”
                There’s a pause. “I meant it.”
                My eyes flicker closed, but his hands tighten around my shoulders and he urges me forward we’re face-to-face.
                “What about that rain-check? I’m free if you are.”
                His amber eyes bore into my own, asking me the wordless question. I give him the wordless answer, pressing my lips to his soft, slightly chapped mouth.
                His arms wrap around me and slide up my back, sending chills down my spine. I close my eyes as he pulls me closer. His kisses me softly at first, then again, growing more insistent.
                “I love you,” he whispers. I sigh into his kiss, believing him, knowing deep down that this was how it was meant to be. I am safe in his arms, he is whole in mine.

It’s kinda meh, but I love the end. 😍

so anyyyyywayyyys, that’s all i got for now.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                -gladiator, 2000

Kads
                @scripter-of-kingdoms
                  • Total Posts: 765

@gracie-j Eheheheheh… I didn’t like him back, but we’re still friends. (Writing tip: I could feel his heartbeat through his shirt. Might be a good descriptor for books.)

Anyways, I agree. Writing TSoA (sunsets, but acronym-ized XD) was super fun. I wish I could date kaizy tho. 😂

staring at the fields
                  if nothing's really real
                  i'll make the winter now my home

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting I believe in you, girl, and your abilities to describe things that are both unknown and discomforting.

@nova21
                    First of all, THANK YOU FOR JOINING US!

Second, YOU ARE TOO KIND!

Third, THAT WAS FANASTIC! I think you did a great job with that scene, girl! So sweet!

@scripter-of-kingdoms
                    Gotcha. (How is that not awkward???) Duly noted. I will definitely use that.

I feel ya! I’m seriously the same way about Keaton right now (and he would totally freak if he knew that…or if he heard me call him cute, or “Lover Boy,” or my baby bean…which are seriously his nicknames). He’s like, soooooooo perfect. Ugh. It’s almost aggravating how perfect he is, you know? But then, that is my fault, right? I’m such a great mom. XD

Elizabeth
                    @lewilliams
                      • Total Posts: 252

@gracie-j I started giggling when I saw I was tagged in this topic, because I’ve written far more tragic death scenes than kiss scenes, so the advice I can offer is fairly limited. XD That being said, I have a first kiss scene I’ll probably have to write at some point, so wish me luck. (I’m with @devastate-lasting in that I’m kind of a “less is more” kind of gal in my own writing; the last “kiss scene” I wrote was basically “I kissed him” and some subsequent angst. Romance is perhaps not my strongest suit:P)

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216
                        • Total Posts: 1011

@gracie-j

Ehehe, I’ll have to let him know about this girl Grace, then!! 😉 *cue me still trying to decide what to do with Deek’s romance life* Nothing is set in stone yet. And yes, your advice is duly noted!!:)

I always know the right girl to come to whenever I have a romance dilemma in my novels:) I… uh… experimented with your advice about the whole kiss scene thing yesterday… *gulps* … It was helpful.

Gracie J.
                        @gracie-j

@lewilliams Hey, I’d love to help you out when you get there!

@writerlexi1216
                          Please let me know! XD Just a suggestion, you know! 😉

*grins cheekily* Wait. Why are you gulping? What is this uncertainly I sense? What happened? How did it go??? Did I say something wrong???

Alexa Autorski
                          @writerlexi1216
                            • Total Posts: 1011

@gracie-j

Haha, I’ll definitely let you know!! XD

It went good!!:D Oh, no you didn’t say a thing wrong!! I was just gulping because, um… I’m still a little shy when it comes to writing kiss scenes, I suppose XD I’m still trying to not be awkward about it, but *shrugs* I guess I’m still a little bit inexperienced since this is my first time writing romance. But nope, it all went good:D

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice
                              • Total Posts: 3365

Well, I’m a little late to the conversation but I’m keen to get on board! I’m not much of a romance writer (or reader) and my kiss scenes are so awkward and stilted, lol. Any tips for the twenty-year-old who hasn’t got past the “ew, boys are gross” stage of life?

@gracie-j

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Gracie J.
                              @gracie-j

@writerlexi1216 Whew! I was worried for a minute there!

Nah, I feel ya, girl! You’ll grow out of the awkwardness, I assure you! EEE!!! I’m SO excited to read Newton and Caira’s romance!!!!!!!!

@seekjustice
                                Hehehe…well, I wouldn’t know exactly how to change your mindset about the grossness of boys, because I honestly have no argument for that. #bigsisterofthreestinkyboys However, if you can think along the lines of men who wear cologne and take showers (or Mr. Darcy), then that should definitely help!

The best advice I can give you would be to block out your own personal thoughts and emotions and focus on (1) the characters, (2) the moment, and (3) the method. Kissing is a form of chemistry–think of it like that. You have your main components–a guy and a girl–and when they mix, BOOM! There’s a kiss. Add different chemicals–like some anger, or tears, or a sweet kiss in the summer sunshine–and you have a different reaction each time.

The science of kissing would be to (1) have all of your chemicals prepared and (2) know the language. If you can think of it as a step-by-step process (which will depend upon the driving emotions behind the individual scene), then all the awkward icky-ness will eventually fade away.

Make sense?

Why don’t you give me an example of one of your scenes, and I’ll show you what I mean!

Evelyn
                                @iluvhim18
                                  • Total Posts: 95

Helooooo (yes, it’s me yet AGAIN, I finished all my assignments for class and I have tons of time to kill, alright?)

I’m such a hopeless romantic, but I can’t write romance. I have tons of fantasies and great ships in my head, but I can’t write it out on a page. My romance is really awkward and cringey, but for my newest W.I.P to work, it needs to have some romance. 15 is a littleeee too young in my opinion but you know 15 year olds these days. (I’m almost one of them hahaha) And I have no idea how to write romance, let alone a sort-of-friends-to-almost-dating kind of romance. (I need a better name for it lol.)

If you ask me about my book, I will talk for hours. Have a nice day!😊

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >