Writing First Chapters…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing First Chapters…

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ella
    @nova21
      • Total Posts: 604

@abigail-m

That looks awesome, thanks!!!

[quote quote=89389]I’m rewriting my novel and I’m basically starting from the second chapter, because every time I attempt chapter #1, it always comes out terrible.[/quote]

Ikr?  A great example of a really good first chapter is from the Hunger Games.  I don’t know how she does it!!! 😃

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by ella.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
      -gladiator, 2000

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@nova21 Remember, books u read have been edited and rewritten multiple times! Trust me, I am a perfectionist on certain things (and I have OCD) but u gotta step back and maybe move onto another scene. I still struggle with this,  but recently I’ve been doing really well and feeling good about my writing. It is definitely NOT perfect so its easy for me to start thinking about that and fall back into not having a lot of confidence.

I think its something about some of us writers. We can be so proud of something but so disappointed in it at the same time. My writing is going extremely well, but if I sit and dwell on what I’ve already written for too long I’ll doubt it.

So the best thing, for me to do is keep moving and stop overthinking (which is way easier said then done!)

And yes, sometimes it does help to take a step back if ur feeling burnt out or just not into it. I did that this very month. Did a bit of a scene outline/list and tried something different and unique, and ya know what? So far it works for me!

I think I’m actually gonna make a forum about the mental state of writers, especially when it comes to doubt, lack of confidence, procrastination, etc.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

ella
        @nova21

@godlyfantasy12

I feel you–I’m a huge perfectionist!!!

[quote quote=89415]I think I’m actually gonna make a forum about the mental state of writers, especially when it comes to doubt, lack of confidence, procrastination, etc.[/quote]

Great idea!

-gladiator, 2000

Kathleen
          @kathleenramm
            • Total Posts: 635

@nova21

I was really curious about the answer to this question a few months ago, so I actually did a whole bunch of reading and researching about what made a gripping first chapter that kept readers reading, and I actually end an article on KP about the whole process! Here’s a link to the post if you want to check it out: https://kingdompen.org/how-to-write-the-perfect-first-chapter-the-ultimate-first-chapter-checklist/

So yeah, after all that, I took all those elements applied them to the first chapters I’d already written, and I saw a huge improvement in them. I feel like they made my first chapter a better representative of what my story was about while also making it way more intriguing. So not only was it really fun studying a large variety of first chapters but what I learned ended up making a big difference in how I start my stories.

Hope it helps! Just a forewarning though, it is quite a long article. XD

ella
            @nova21

@kathleenramm

I love that!!  Thanks so much!!  I especially like #9.  I can put scenes in every category that you and @erinramm mentioned, so we’ll just see if I can put it into word form!!! 😃

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by ella. Reason: tag didn't work

-gladiator, 2000

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
              @william-starkey
                • Total Posts: 634

@nova21 🙂 Glad to be of service.

imwritehere1920
                @imwritehere1920
                  • Total Posts: 92

@nova21

Wow, there’s a lot of great advice, so I’ll try not to repeat it.

One big mistake that I used to make as a writer was to begin my story waay to far back in time.  I was trying to introduce my character, their strengths and weaknesses, but was taking too long to do so.

One thing I learned, during a writing course, was to start on the day something was different for the MC.  Better yet, try to start in the middle of the action.  Such as the first chapter of The False Prince or The Giver.  From even the very first line, we get thrust into the middle of the story.

Another thing to consider weaving into the first chapter is your characteristic moment for your MC.  Think about the first episode of The Mandalorian.  That’s a pretty good example of a characteristic moment (Ps. I’ll stop now, in case you haven’t seen it.)

And consider mood.  Is your book humorous, intense, action-filled, etc?  In your favorite books (or books in the genre you write) how do authors create the mood of their story?  What words, images, descriptions do they use?

If you’re having trouble with your first line (gah!  It gets me everytime!) try writing down the opening lines of some of the books you read.  How does the author grab a reader’s attention?  With a question?  With a startling phrase?  Does it hook you and make you want to read more?  And most importantly, does the hook deliver on the promise of being an exciting story, or one that you will enjoy?

Personally, I like to collect different openings in a spare notebook and compare them.  I use different colored pens for different lines to organize them.

Dream. Write. Inspire.

https://thepencilsisters.com

ella
                  @nova21

@imwritehere1920

that’s some great advice!!!  I didn’t think about the Mandolorian (*fangirling*) example… so true!!!!  Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

-gladiator, 2000

imwritehere1920
                    @imwritehere1920

@nova21

Your welcome *fangirling with ya*

P.s Did you like the second season finale?

Dream. Write. Inspire.

ella
                      @nova21

@imwritehere1920

i loved the last one!!!  I liked some of the other episodes, too.  What about you?

-gladiator, 2000

imwritehere1920
                        @imwritehere1920

@nova21

The whole thing!! (except the one with the spiders.  Normally, I can ‘tolerate’ spiders.  But this really creeped me out.  Not to mention that I have a sister who hates spiders….)

Either way, which side character is your favorite? (aside from Baby Yoda.)

Dream. Write. Inspire.

ella
                          @nova21

@imwritehere1920

Oh yeah, that episode was disgusting… 😝  My favorite side character was probably… Cara Dune??  I don’t know, what about you?  (Baby Yoda was the first one to come to mind 😋 OF COURSE)

-gladiator, 2000

imwritehere1920
                            @imwritehere1920

@nova21

Oops!  It seems that my reply didn’t go through! *grins sheepishly*

Cara Dune was pretty cool.  I liked it when she and the other ladies worked together to storm Moff Gideon’s ship.

I’d have to say Omera (the widow from S1 who liked Mando) is another favorite.  I hope they bring her and her daughter back for S3.

Dream. Write. Inspire.

ella
                              @nova21

@imwritehere1920

Oh yeah!!  I forgot about her (😬).  Yeah, she was so nice!!

-gladiator, 2000

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >