Writing Dares!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Hey look! A fossil! *archeologist speaking* And as we can see, this topic is thousands of years old, probably died in the Great Flood.
      😀
      Okay, let’s see. Write about a pen that wrote its own story.
      A stuffed animal who comes alive and befriends (or make enemies) his owner. And something dangerous, like a dinosaur or a jaguar.
      A person who gets lost at sea on a raft with nothing but a tank of oxygen.
      Dancing flowers.
      A futuristic story where the countries are under one king, but they break from underneath him and begin to fight one another.
      …I’m not very good at this.
      *melts chair* (It’s good to have you back @bluejay)

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hannah A. Krynicki
      @hannah-krynicki
        • Total Posts: 81

@bluejay It’s kind of fantasy/not historical, but I’ve always wanted a story in which a girl wanders into a forest where her imaginary toy worlds are real and life-sized. Twist: Once she enters the world, she can never change any of the details about it.

Or, if you’re up for a challenge, tell us what really happened to the colony at Roanoke Island…

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1486

@bluejay
          Write a story where three campers have to capture an ostrich, five lions, and an overly friendly Great Dane that have all escaped (or were purposely let loose) from a nearby zoo.

BlueJay
          @bluejay
            • Total Posts: 1622

@dragon-snapper I’m glad to be back. Ah, I see you have decided to make me feel very welcome by melting the chair. *hmmm…*

@hannah-krynicki

tell us what really happened to the colony at Roanoke Island…

What is Roanoke Island?

@winter-rose I grin every time I read “an overly friendly Great Dane” 🙂

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@bluejay Roanoke Island…is a mystery. *hands mic over to Hannah* I won’t steal your thunder. Fire away!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hannah R.
              @his-instrument
                • Total Posts: 229

@bluejay You know how characters are always digging up pleasant photographs, charming lockets, and other happy relics in their attics, then unlocking secrets about them? I dare you to create a relic with a tragic or mysterious backstory. Like, a locket with a mysterious symbol in it that leads the character to discover his/her relative was a member of an outlaw gang (that was random, but you know what I mean). Or, a trunk with a pair of unused baby shoes and an unworn baby outfit.
                And Roanoke Island is a fascinating American mystery. In 1587, a small group of Englishmen settled in America. There were 117 of them– some men, some women, and nine children. One of the women had a baby girl, named Virginia Dare, the first English baby to be born on American soil. When supplies ran low, the colonists realized that they needed to send someone back to England for extra supplies, so Virginia Dare’s grandfather sailed back to England. He was delayed from returning by a war between Spain and England, and it was 1590 before he made it back.
                When he returned to America, there was no trace of the colony. Not a single trace. No buildings, nothing. So his crew began a search. They found only a single word carved into a tree trunk: Croatoan.
                The Croatoans were a group of Native Americans, but that doesn’t explain the disappearance. Were they friendly? Hostile? Did the colonists join the Native Americans? Were they killed? How did they completely disappear? All sorts of mysteries. This story gets a lot of publicity mainly because there was a young child involved. Virginia Dare is a well-known name in my part of America, but no one knows what happened to her.
                There are a lot more details to the story, but I’ve only told the ones I know, or the ones I had ready access to. Google it. Wikipedia it. There’s a ton of info out there. Historians argue over the truth, but no one has solved the mystery. Have fun!

YA Fantasy Writer
                Obsessive Character Namer
                Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Hannah
                @aella
                  • Total Posts: 160

Oooohhh… Historical…hmm.
                  I’m all for twisting up stereotypes so:
                  -Someone who interacts with someone who is/will be famous on a serving level…but FAILS to ____.
                  aaaannndd I had more but they’ve all escaped me.

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

Uuummmm…someone on one of Captain Cook’s sea voyages in the Pacific? Who…does something important? So creative, I know. 😛

BlueJay
                    @bluejay
                      • Total Posts: 1622

@his-instrument @aella @emma-flournoy Wonderful and interesting prompts. Thank you so much.

Hannah A. Krynicki
                      @hannah-krynicki

@his-instrument Someone else knows about it! Excellent storytelling there. Have you ever seen The Lost Colony play?

SleepwalkingMK
                        @sleepwalkingmk
                          • Total Posts: 179

Hey guys! I need some ideas for short stories, so may I have a few dares? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Greta
                          @gretald
                            • Total Posts: 450

@hannah-krynicki
                            That’s an awesome prompt! The Lost Colony is so fascinating. I actually went to the “site” where the Roanoke Colony was supposed to be, and it turned out they really had almost NO evidence that the colony was there. So that was pretty disappointing, but at least it was somewhat interesting. 😉

Greta
                            @gretald
                              • Total Posts: 450

@sleepwalkingmk
                              Hmm…write about someone who works at an ice cream factory and finds out about the company’s plot to bribe the world leaders with ice cream and take over the world.

Okay, here’s a more serious one.
                              Write about a college professor’s perception of an annoying student on the first day of classes.

Hope those will help you. 🙂

Hannah A. Krynicki
                              @hannah-krynicki

@gretald Awesome! I loved seeing the reconstruction of what it might have looked like.

@sleepwalkingmk
                                Write about a person who pretends to be blind for one day because… I’ll let you decide why.

Or write from the perspective of a writer’s computer on the day she kills a character.

SleepwalkingMK
                                @sleepwalkingmk
                                  • Total Posts: 179

@gretald Thanks for the dares! I’ll try both. The ice cream one will be quite unpredictable (but that’s the best kind of story, right? 😉

@hannah-krynicki
                                  Thanks for the dares 😀 They’re so interesting, I think I’ll do both. I like that last one a lot 🙂

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 159 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >