Writing Christian Dystopians?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Writing Christian Dystopians?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hybridlore
    @hybridlore
      • Total Posts: 1354

@esther-c @mineralizedwritings @anyone-else

Hey guys! I know y’all write dystopian too, so maybe you’ll have some tips about this?

I’ve been trying to plot my WIP lately, and I’m having trouble coming up with the ending. I usually pants things, but recently I’ve been trying to at least figure out where it’s going. I’m only maybe a third of the way through.

But anyway, here’s the problem. Most dystopian novels have one ending. The government gets defeated, and a new one rises to take its place… or something like that. Maybe there is no government anymore (which is not going to work in the long run, lol.) But I’m not sure if I want to do that for my WIP. Are there any other ways I could end it while still making it satisfying, if you know what I mean? I don’t think I want to do a sequel either, so it’s just like… anything I can think of is either pretty cliffhanger-y or just the whole “down with the government!” thing.

Basically, the entire government’s not bad in this story, but there’s definitely a lot of things they’re doing wrong. The whole point of the story is about rebels who want to take down the government, and how the main character gets caught in all that (even though she definitely holds her own bitterness towards it as well.) But I’m not sure how to resolve the character arcs and all that, plus the main conflict in the plot, without taking the typical ending. (And I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that ending… it’s basically the point of dystopian books, it’s just a little overused and I  don’t know if I want to use it for this story.)

Do you guys have any ideas for me? I can try to explain more about the plot so far if that would help.

There is always light behind the clouds.
      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2794

@hybridlore

Oof that’s a hard one XD

For a single novel, I think you do need a defining ending.

Something I have heard about in my research about plots is that there’s two separate goals your character has to reach. One of them is said and known about, such as defeating the government, the other is never mentioned but obvious to the reader. Something the character really longs for, a personal goal that is just as important, that should be resolved at the end. For instance, maybe recognition for their work? If a character has been working through the underground for a long time very hard, both we and the character long for people to recognize there heroism, even though it has never been mentioned.

Feel free to tell me about your book, as I’m probably going to talk about some stuff you already know about/have included here!

Do you have a true villain? I don’t have a real ‘villain’ for most of my story and it’s made it much harder to write, I’m not sure it would work as a standalone. Just an idea, maybe have one villain in the government, and another one in the resistance group, each with different agendas. One could be a anti hero, the other a true villain. I think having somebody working directly opposing to the main character makes end resolution easier. You could have the villain get killed/jailed, resolving the main conflict, and maybe have the anti-hero/second villain redeemed, then it would feel like a complete resolution. Maybe after the villain is gone, the government is able to function better and doesn’t have to go away.

What is the main conflict?

Also it sounds like with the main character getting caught up in it that both the resistance and the government could be negative forces towards her.

If you tell me more about the arcs I could have some suggestions!

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings

Oh and as long as the rest  of your book is unique it’s alright to have a stereotypical ending. It’s when your book has a love triangle, America as a setting, and rebels taking down the government. If you can add one factor to really mix it up and make it something totally new, it won’t be considered stereotypical (Is it set in England for a change? Maybe it’s a slow burn romance? Intense worldbuilding for a cyberpunk city?). And btw, write what you enjoy. If you like love triangles and rebels then go ahead. 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@hybridlore

I haven’t written anything in the dystopian genre, but I find it interesting, and I might try my hand at it someday. I don’t have any great ideas for your problem. Have you read Fahrenheit 451? That’s the main dystopian novel I’ve read. You could try an ending sort of like that, where it suggests that things will eventually get better, but doesn’t actually resolve things completely. That might be sort of what you’re talking about with a cliffhangery ending.

MineralizedWritings also has some good points, particularly about how there’s two main plotlines, the physical one and the emotional journey of the MC. If you do a cliffhangery ending, you can resolve the MC’s conflict, so that even though one plotline is only partially resolved, the other is completely.

That’s just my two cents. Good luck!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

hybridlore
            @hybridlore

@mineralizedwritings

Something I have heard about in my research about plots is that there’s two separate goals your character has to reach. One of them is said and known about, such as defeating the government, the other is never mentioned but obvious to the reader. Something the character really longs for, a personal goal that is just as important, that should be resolved at the end. For instance, maybe recognition for their work? If a character has been working through the underground for a long time very hard, both we and the character long for people to recognize there heroism, even though it has never been mentioned.

Right, like the internal resolution vs the outward resolution. Sooo, I sort of feel like Katrin doesn’t exactly have her own huge goal. It’s more she’s trying to survive and protect her brother, but I’ve lately realized that she also holds a grudge against the administrators for a few reasons, mostly just because of the living conditions in the lower class parts of the colony and that they have the power to help, but they don’t.

Also, she never wanted to become a thief, but because she isn’t able to afford an apprenticeship, she’s forced to steal in order to provide for Aren and herself. So she also hates that she was forced to betray her morals because of the system in their colony, if that makes sense.

Do you have a true villain? I don’t have a real ‘villain’ for most of my story and it’s made it much harder to write, I’m not sure it would work as a standalone. Just an idea, maybe have one villain in the government, and another one in the resistance group, each with different agendas. One could be a anti hero, the other a true villain. I think having somebody working directly opposing to the main character makes end resolution easier. You could have the villain get killed/jailed, resolving the main conflict, and maybe have the anti-hero/second villain redeemed, then it would feel like a complete resolution. Maybe after the villain is gone, the government is able to function better and doesn’t have to go away.

Hmmm… I would say so far, I really only have an antagonist/villain. He’s the leader of the rebels, (so the one forcing the main characters into the plot) but he has good reasons for what he’s doing. I guess when I think about it, he plays more of a villain figure in the story. He basically has the same reasons as Katrin, but he also wants a more perfect government and leading system — but he believes that the end justifies the means, if that makes sense. He doesn’t care who gets hurt in the process.

But I really like that idea, I’m just not sure how it would completely work since I’m imagining Niel (the rebel leader) as the villain. It would make sense that the administrators (leaders of the government) would be the antagonists, but how would that idea work for changing the government at the end?

I also do have a rebel who works for the administrators, as well, so they have some inside people. She’s a better person than Niel, though, so I could see her doing something in the end to help “change” the government or fix something there if Niel was gone. And one of the main administrators was killed off as part of the plot, so she could step in to fill his place.

What is the main conflict?

Also it sounds like with the main character getting caught up in it that both the resistance and the government could be negative forces towards her.

You mean outward conflict or internal conflict? I already mentioned Katrin’s internal conflict, so I guess I’ll try outward?

Basically, the plot so far is like this… I don’t really have much set in stone yet XD So this will be pretty quick. The rebels are looking for street kids, I guess without families, who can disappear easily, because they’re planning to assassinate one of the administrators. They threaten to hurt Aren, Katrin’s younger brother, in order to make sure she won’t blow it all and give the plot away.

She and two other boys are basically forced to pretend they’re the assassins, which probably won’t go over well with the Capitol considering one of the leaders was just shot. (He doesn’t die yet, though.)

So I’ve had a lot of trouble with this because I literally just came up with the idea and pantsed it, and now I’m heading towards the middle of the story and I don’t really have too many ideas for it, so I’m hoping it all just doesn’t turn into a muddle.

I did have a vague idea for the ending, in which the main characters would end up in a prison/work camp, but I’m not exactly sure if that would be satisfying… the last chapter would probably have them escape somehow (at least Katrin) and mention that she’ll head back to the colony, maybe after the government has changed a little. I guess part of the reason I was thinking this was because her father was actually a thief and was sent there a few years ago, so maybe her being sent there would provide some sort of answers on what happened to him… not really sure XD. Hopefully this makes sense.

Now I’m thinking I need some kind of climax (well, duh lol) that would lead to the mains deported and a change in the government, plus stopping Niel. But thanks, this really helped for brainstorming!

If you tell me more about the arcs I could have some suggestions!

I think I already shared some about the arcs, so lemme know if you want/need to know more! I’m happy to rant share some, I just don’t want to overwhelm you XD.

By the way, how have you been feeling?

hybridlore
              @hybridlore

@mineralizedwritings

Oh and as long as the rest  of your book is unique it’s alright to have a stereotypical ending. It’s when your book has a love triangle, America as a setting, and rebels taking down the government. If you can add one factor to really mix it up and make it something totally new, it won’t be considered stereotypical (Is it set in England for a change? Maybe it’s a slow burn romance? Intense worldbuilding for a cyberpunk city?). And btw, write what you enjoy. If you like love triangles and rebels then go ahead. 🙂

Yeah, I get that! I just didn’t really know if I liked it specifically for this story/wanted to write it. And yeah, there won’t be a love triangle XD.

@jonas

I haven’t written anything in the dystopian genre, but I find it interesting, and I might try my hand at it someday. I don’t have any great ideas for your problem. Have you read Fahrenheit 451? That’s the main dystopian novel I’ve read. You could try an ending sort of like that, where it suggests that things will eventually get better, but doesn’t actually resolve things completely. That might be sort of what you’re talking about with a cliffhangery ending.

Yeah, that is kind of what I meant. I haven’t, but I’ve heard of it!

MineralizedWritings also has some good points, particularly about how there’s two main plotlines, the physical one and the emotional journey of the MC. If you do a cliffhangery ending, you can resolve the MC’s conflict, so that even though one plotline is only partially resolved, the other is completely.

That’s just my two cents. Good luck!

I think that would work really well, so that’s what I’ll probably plan towards. Thanks!

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom
                  • Total Posts: 1250

@hybridlore

I agree with Min and Jonas on everything they said. Resolve of the character will balance the unresolved political structure. However there’s still a lot of things you could do to end it differently. For one thing, most dystopias almost never talk about what happens after they take down the government. They need to reestablish everything, which isn’t a walk in the park. Mistborn 2 and 3 handles this really well, after the fall of the Lord Ruler in book one, but it could be an interesting story to tell in a single book, where the goverment is taken down early on. In the end, if you want the good guys to win sort of story outside of the emotional plot, then that will have to result in the fall of the current power if there is one. However does that mean that it needs to fall just through being overthrown? There’s other ways power can shift as well. I hope any of that is at all helpful!

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@hybridlore

Right, like the internal resolution vs the outward resolution. Sooo, I sort of feel like Katrin doesn’t exactly have her own huge goal. It’s more she’s trying to survive and protect her brother, but I’ve lately realized that she also holds a grudge against the administrators for a few reasons, mostly just because of the living conditions in the lower class parts of the colony and that they have the power to help, but they don’t

Take this all with a grain of salt, you do what works best for your plot!

I think Katrin needs a goal. even if it isn’t the typical dystopian goal about overtoppleing the government. She can also pursue one goal, then realize she has to reach even higher if you really want to push the climax. Maybe that’s when she gets a little help from side characters, or remembers the things she has learned over the course of the story from other people and her experiences?

Also, about her grudge, it would be a interesting thing to explore. It would also give her a good flaw, maybe she’s bent on revenge? Sometimes people will have a characters goal change as they develop and realize they have a different calling. She could want revenge, then realize her brothers safety is more important than that, then have a goal shift to keeping her family safe?

She wants to keep her brothers safe, and being a part of the rebellion is making that hard.If that’s going to be her main goal, I would make it really clear, and a main plot point, because she’s the main character and her conflict/resolution should be the most  important to the plot.

Maybe for some reason, her brothers are needed in a way that isn’t safe for them? Idk how old they are, but it would make things interesting if there is a direct opposition between her and another characters goals.

What are the brothers like? If one of them is old enough to be really involved in the plot, it might help. Maybe he’s a little reckless and has different ideas than her, which makes keeping him safe hard?

Have you read wingfeather saga? That’s a great example of a “keeping family member safe” goal for a mc. Janner’s main goal is to keep Kalmer safe. He struggles with the idea of this goal being forced onto him, and ultimately, completes his goal to the highest degree. His goal is to protect his brother, and because Janner is the main character, it’s the arc that drives the plot. You don’t have to do yours this way, but I think it can be good to have the main arc also drive the plot the most.

Idk if this helps at all, but my wip became a lot easier once I started organizing it. Idk what kind of a system you have right now, but here’s a suggestion. I tend to have emotional plot beats filled out before the literal plot events. I sometimes will keep a sort of “list” of things that have to happen (Roughly in order, like Lesli realizes this, mentions this, then have a brief reason for it, like to hint at her motives.) like key dialogue moments, or things people need to think or question, ect. Then, as I’m writing the literal events, it helps me find what needs to physicaly happen. I can look through the list of emotional plot points, and design physical events to use up a few at a time. Like if I have “Lesli displaying distrust towards Tauren” on my list, and “Tauren says dialogue that shows jealousy towards Lesli” I could design the plot to accommodate both in the same scene. It’s important that both of the events are similar in place in the plot (Both of those examples were the start of a conflict arc, so they can go in the same place of a story)

If you need help with this, google docs is the best. (Make sure you download it every now and then so you don’t lose your story if you lose your account!) you can make headings that appear in the side bar for easy navigation.

I really like the villain with the rebels, he seems like a good one!

I think coming up with a climax is really important for direction. don’t be afraid to make something up and try to roll with it! Really it’s just the culmination of all the arcs, so I guess whatever arcs you have you can try to find a physical event to bring them to a climax.

I think it might help you if you figure out what the government wants here. They seem to be a side character, which is totally fine, but what do they want? Do they want peace in the country, or maybe they will use the rebels for their own political agenda (It would be kinda cool if something like that forced the villain to work with your protagonist…)?

Y’know what you’re describing to me kinda sounds like a series lol. Most novels I have read that are single, they are pretty straightforward. (One arc for the main character, maybe one for a side character and another short arc) I think when you’re writing a single book, it’s really important to have a straightforward plot and resolution. I honestly don’t think ending up in a prison would be a resolving ending (unless a major emotional plot has been resolved, and mentally they are happy and at rest with their accomplishment) I like how it has to do with their dad, (It’s not a series though, right?) XD then it’s starting something new at the end. I think it could be a great leadup to the climax though! Maybe they end up in prison before the climax, use the time to learn about their dad, and somehow that information propels the plot (If he’s alive, maybe they find him? If he is not alive, something they learn about him gives them hope and courage to take on the climax and be ready to overcome the struggle? )

You’re mc sounds really interesting, what is her main flaw though? She is conflicted over having to steal, wants to protect her brothers, but what is her core issue to overcome? Like her flaw, not what she is forced to do? I mean like what is she going to learn?

Oh, thanks for asking!

I’m doing ok today, I fell asleep much faster than usual so I feel good today and got to write yesterday! I’m a little down in general, idk just feel a little left behind in life, but wwriting always makes me happy, so I’m thankful God has provided me with that.

It’s hard seeing my dad be so confused in general, he likes to make jokes about us becoming homeless because of his unemployment, then talks about buying something expensive later. It’s a disconnect, there’s something wrong with his brain. We’re still praying about it, but I feel like God is taking good care of us. I’m not too worried thankfully.

I think it’s funny how in my life, God tends to give me something to help me get through a hard time rather than take the hard thing away. I prayed I would get to have a really nice room, and it’s literally perfect. I have a art desk with great lighting for video, everything has a place and I put my art up on the wall. And there’s still a bottom bunk in case my sis comes to stay. So yeah, if I can enjoy my room and chatting with you guys I keep a pretty level head. Also my mom has been great these past years 🙂

It’s usually a good day if I get to chat around here on kp, so I’ve really enjoyed this conversation! I love to talk about writing with yall!

How are you doing? <3

へびは かっこいい です!

hybridlore
                    @hybridlore

@thearcaneaxiom

I agree with Min and Jonas on everything they said. Resolve of the character will balance the unresolved political structure.However there’s still a lot of things you could do to end it differently. For one thing, most dystopias almost never talk about what happens after they take down the government. They need to reestablish everything, which isn’t a walk in the park. Mistborn 2 and 3 handles this really well, after the fall of the Lord Ruler in book one, but it could be an interesting story to tell in a single book, where the goverment is taken down early on.

That’s true, I could do something like that. . . I feel like that works probably better for a series, though, but then again haha I’ve never read a dystopian stand-alone that I can think of.

In the end, if you want the good guys to win sort of story outside of the emotional plot, then that will have to result in the fall of the current power if there is one. However does that mean that it needs to fall just through being overthrown? There’s other ways power can shift as well. I hope any of that is at all helpful!

Right, the power could shift to someone else or be focused in a different way instead of just killing all the government leaders. Thanks!

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore

@mineralizedwritings

I think Katrin needs a goal. even if it isn’t the typical dystopian goal about overtoppleing the government. She can also pursue one goal, then realize she has to reach even higher if you really want to push the climax. Maybe that’s when she gets a little help from side characters, or remembers the things she has learned over the course of the story from other people and her experiences?

Also, about her grudge, it would be a interesting thing to explore. It would also give her a good flaw, maybe she’s bent on revenge? Sometimes people will have a characters goal change as they develop and realize they have a different calling. She could want revenge, then realize her brothers safety is more important than that, then have a goal shift to keeping her family safe?

She wants to keep her brothers safe, and being a part of the rebellion is making that hard. If that’s going to be her main goal, I would make it really clear, and a main plot point, because she’s the main character and her conflict/resolution should be the most  important to the plot.

I know, I know, I just don’t really know what goal to give her other than the ones I already have. I haven’t really developed her character too much outside of the storyline (basically, I don’t know what her dream or her talents are). Downside of pantsing, I guess.

She only has one brother XD I don’t know if I really made that clear, lol. And yeah, keeping him safe is definitely her main goal. She feels responsible for him, and also obviously loves him and wants to protect him.

So, basically the entire story she’s “helping” the rebels, but not willingly. They really just need someone to take the blame for the crime, so the administrators are focused on that instead of looking for the criminals, while they pull off the rest of the plot. Her brother is being held captive… sorta… to make sure she doesn’t just tell the administrators what’s going on. I didn’t really think it all through before I started writing it, though, so if you have any ideas on how to make it more realistic or anything, I would love to hear them! Haha I know the whole story is kind of a little weird, but I’m just rolling with it for now. I wasn’t sure that the rebels’ motivations seemed thought out enough, or too forced, so I would also like feedback on any of that if you think of anything. (I know I haven’t shared a ton about them, XD)

If you would be interested in reading the first chapter/s, I could maybe post them on here!

Have you read wingfeather saga? That’s a great example of a “keeping family member safe” goal for a mc. Janner’s main goal is to keep Kalmer safe. He struggles with the idea of this goal being forced onto him, and ultimately, completes his goal to the highest degree. His goal is to protect his brother, and because Janner is the main character, it’s the arc that drives the plot. You don’t have to do yours this way, but I think it can be good to have the main arc also drive the plot the most.

I have! That’s a good example of a story that does that well.

Idk if this helps at all, but my wip became a lot easier once I started organizing it. Idk what kind of a system you have right now, but here’s a suggestion. I tend to have emotional plot beats filled out before the literal plot events. I sometimes will keep a sort of “list” of things that have to happen (Roughly in order, like Lesli realizes this, mentions this, then have a brief reason for it, like to hint at her motives.) like key dialogue moments, or things people need to think or question, ect. Then, as I’m writing the literal events, it helps me find what needs to physicaly happen. I can look through the list of emotional plot points, and design physical events to use up a few at a time. Like if I have “Lesli displaying distrust towards Tauren” on my list, and “Tauren says dialogue that shows jealousy towards Lesli” I could design the plot to accommodate both in the same scene. It’s important that both of the events are similar in place in the plot (Both of those examples were the start of a conflict arc, so they can go in the same place of a story)

If you need help with this, google docs is the best. (Make sure you download it every now and then so you don’t lose your story if you lose your account!) you can make headings that appear in the side bar for easy navigation.

Ohhhhhh, okay, that’s a good idea! Yeah, especially since I’m having trouble figuring out the literal events that happen. Thanks! I’ll have to try that!

Yep! I actually use Microsoft Word most of the time, but I like Docs too!

I really like the villain with the rebels, he seems like a good one!

Thanks! I hope so XD

I think coming up with a climax is really important for direction. don’t be afraid to make something up and try to roll with it! Really it’s just the culmination of all the arcs, so I guess whatever arcs you have you can try to find a physical event to bring them to a climax.

Right, yeah. That’s a good way to put it. I actually already have some ideas from talking to y’all!

I think it might help you if you figure out what the government wants here. They seem to be a side character, which is totally fine, but what do they want? Do they want peace in the country, or maybe they will use the rebels for their own political agenda (It would be kinda cool if something like that forced the villain to work with your protagonist…)?

Yeah, good point. I probably should XD Yep, they kind of are… I’m not really sure what country the colony is a part of, or how they coordinate with other colonies… Yeah, that would be interesting! I’ll have to think about it!

Y’know what you’re describing to me kinda sounds like a series lol. Most novels I have read that are single, they are pretty straightforward. (One arc for the main character, maybe one for a side character and another short arc) I think when you’re writing a single book, it’s really important to have a straightforward plot and resolution. I honestly don’t think ending up in a prison would be a resolving ending (unless a major emotional plot has been resolved, and mentally they are happy and at rest with their accomplishment)

I like how it has to do with their dad, (It’s not a series though, right?) XD then it’s starting something new at the end. I think it could be a great leadup to the climax though! Maybe they end up in prison before the climax, use the time to learn about their dad, and somehow that information propels the plot (If he’s alive, maybe they find him? If he is not alive, something they learn about him gives them hope and courage to take on the climax and be ready to overcome the struggle? )

Yeah, that’s true. It really does sound kind of like a series cliffhanger, but I don’t think I have enough material/interest to write more than one book XD. Wellll, it’s sort of hard to explain what I was thinking for the ending… it’d be more like, she is sent to the camp as part of the resolution, and then is able to find out what happened to her dad, and then would probably end with her leaving/escaping the camp somehow. Idk, like I said, it was just an idea, not sure how it’d entirely work.

Nooo XD I did wonder if maybe I could do a sequel with something about her dad, but I don’t think I would. We’ll see, though. That’s true, I could— I’ll have to think about how I could use that. Thanks for all the ideas, by the way!

You’re mc sounds really interesting, what is her main flaw though? She is conflicted over having to steal, wants to protect her brothers, but what is her core issue to overcome? Like her flaw, not what she is forced to do? I mean like what is she going to learn?

Aughh not this question!! XD I haven’t really figured it out yet… I know, I know lol. Maybe the fact that she’s still bitter over what God’s let happen in her life, and holding on to that, (maybe she directs her anger at the adminsitrators?) but she’ll learn… something. At the end. How would you resolve that kind of conflict? Maybe learning to trust God no matter what, and forgiving others… plus letting go of her will to control things like being overprotective of her brother?

Oh, thanks for asking!

I’m doing ok today, I fell asleep much faster than usual so I feel good today and got to write yesterday! I’m a little down in general, idk just feel a little left behind in life, but wwriting always makes me happy, so I’m thankful God has provided me with that.

Of course! I’m glad you got some writing/sleep done! XD Aw, I’m sorry! That’s good! It is kind of a great way to just escape and release your feelings.

I’ll be praying for your family! I’m glad your room is great! Decorating is so much fun XD It’s nice to have a fun space to hang out in.

Oh, good! I’m glad you enjoyed it, I did too! I think it’s helped a lot already!

I’m doing pretty good too! The weather has gotten really nice here, so that’s been nice! I love fall.

Esther
                        @esther-c
                          • Total Posts: 3202

@hybridlore

I can’t really think of anything right now, but I’ll definitely think it over and get back to you on it!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

hybridlore
                          @hybridlore

@esther-c

That’s okay! Thank you!

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings

@hybridlore

You’re welcome!

There’s a lot of things I could say in reply, but I think the best thing to do would be spend a long time on worldbuilding. The more worldbuilding you do, the more will become clear, and the world will seem more real to the viewers. I know pantsing if fun, and you can totally do it, but it sounds like it might be where some of your problems are coming from.

Plotting doesn’t have to be super complicated or boring! I have a file for each of my characters with a questionnaire inside, you can use this if you like:

Full name:

Situation at start of story:

Motive:

Appearance

Height:

Build:

Skin tone:

Hair:

Eyes:

Prominent features:

Style of dress:

Mannerisms and gestures:

Speech

Tone of voice:

Favorite phrases:

Personality

Habits:

Ambitions:

Greatest fear:

Biggest secret:

How do they get along with other characters?

Do they have a proudest moment?

Background

Interests or hobbies:

Important past events:

Family:

Current home:

Finances:

Education:

Health:

I hardly ever fill out the whole thing, as it wouldn’t be necessary, but I think making something of this sort for each of your important characters might help. Idk exactly how to say this, but I feel like you have a lot of ideas, but not enough ideas for a focused area of the book. Maybe if you can try to keep your brainstorming close to the things you have already decided on for the plot, and on how to connect it, that might help. I’m not sure if anything I’m saying is helpful here lol… oops.

I think it might help to get her brother involved. He should exist for other reasons than just her character motive (maybe he does lol, I haven’t read your book) maybe his motives clash with hers? Idk, what have they been telling him while he’s in captivity? He likely has a different perspective because of his different experience . Maybe her moral flaw is her unwillingness to listen to him or trust his perspective and experience? He might know things she doesn’t, and a persons pride could get in the way of admitting they need help. Maybe they ultimately have to work together to protect him, because she can’t do it by herself, and shouldn’t?

Just ideas.

About resolving aa conflict of being bitter towards God, I think a clear resolution to that would shine best when it is made the main conflict. Her bitterness towards God has to show in her actions/behavior in a way that holds her back, so that when it has changed, we can tell and she acts different/freed.

Thanks for the prayers! We’re kinda hoping I might get to move out sometime, a friend of ours has a mother in law unit. It’s a little dicey though because she’s older and in bad health, we don’t know that it would be a stable living situation.

Oh yes! I love fall too!

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >