Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 3141

@ellette-giselle

I don’t think Min means you should actively hide your writing from your family, just that you can refrain from doing so if you feel like they would give superficial feedback. (Feedback that is preference-driven. For example, “I think the story should be funnier/have more fight scenes/have a dragon in it.”)

Everyone has preferences for what kind of story they read, and they’re all different. My family enthusiastically supports my writing, but I don’t share it with my brother because it isn’t his preferred style or genre. He likes mindless action. Plain and simple. And he finds many of my story concepts, to quote, “weeeeiiiiirrrrrdd… like you.” I will show him things to gauge a teen boy’s interest, but I take him with a huuge spoon of salt.

I don’t think you should have to worry about committing ‘character crimes’ if you’re within your own morals for writing.

I think Min means (and she can correct me), as long as you are writing well from a moral standpoint, sharing with your family is really up to you. You don’t have to if you don’t feel like it. ‘Character crimes’ such as an overly emotional guy are up to your personal preferences and can work for a story’s tone.

Emmett from the Lego Movie. Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts. Tom Holland’s Spiderman is pretty sensitive. The monk in Journey to the West, an ancient classic.

Heck, if we’re talking about unrealistic characters, I haven’t seen a man like Captain Jack Sparrow in my life before. And he’s one of the most famous film characters in history.

You’re free to make a realistic character ofc, however I’m pointing out your family prioritizes realism/traditional gender roles in fiction. That’s fine, that’s okay, and that’s a story preference. If you have the same goal for your fiction, then by all means go to them for feedback. 👍

“Everything is a mountain”

whaley
      @whalekeeper
        • Total Posts: 3141

And let me clarify, God’s chosen roles for male and female are a moral thing. I am saying there are many different ways to express those roles, and what is more, in fiction these roles can be switched or twisted on the surface to make a point. I don’t think that’s always bad. I also think many traditional traits of the two genders are superficial and should be treated as story devices rather than necessities.

For example, in my story, the females are in the place of power, and the traditional mother has been twisted into a villain archetype. My main female protagonist is very physically strong.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by whaley.

“Everything is a mountain”

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2972

@ellette-giselle

Wow, it sounds like you’ve got an awesome family!

Sorry if I was projecting a bit. Despite my family being Christian, they can be really critical. Kinda like what Whaley mentioned above, over preferences for the most part. People who have it like me have to band together and support each other, so whenever I see somebody saying their family doesn’t like something about their writing, I’m ready to be that writer’s number one supporter.

Of course, if your family is providing you with constructive criticism you need to get better, than go for it. : )

@whalekeeper

“weeeeiiiiirrrrrdd… like you.”

lolllll

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings

@whalekeeper

I think Min means (and she can correct me), as long as you are writing well from a moral standpoint, sharing with your family is really up to you. You don’t have to if you don’t feel like it. ‘Character crimes’ such as an overly emotional guy are up to your personal preferences and can work for a story’s tone.

I mean yeah that too. People write characters in different ways and it doesn’t have to be to everyone’s preference.

Ellette Giselle
            @ellette-giselle
              • Total Posts: 1072

@mineralizedwritings

Wow, it sounds like you’ve got an awesome family!

The best in my opinion. 😀

Yeah, I understand, and thank you for the support. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings

@ellette-giselle

🙂

Sara
                @savannah_grace2009
                  • Total Posts: 2535

Did I just hear that most girls want to be held and comforted?!?!?

I’m not like this AT ALL!

I prefer to sob on my bedroom floor by myself and when my family comes in I pretend like I’m fine XD

and then when I do work up the courage to tell someone what’s bothering me…

I do not want to be held…I want someone to tell me how to fix the problem! If I’m telling someone my problems, I want a solution lol!

Maybe it’s just because I am a person who’s not very comfortable with touch. The only way I know how to comfort people is by words, and hugging them if they want me to, but when someone hugs me, I feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. Idk why.

Lukas&Livia
                  #Lalbert
                  Sef&Chase
                  #HOTTOLINE
                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
                  @savannah_grace2009

Maybe it wasn’t in this forum…but I know I heard it somewhere, lol!

Lukas&Livia
                    #Lalbert
                    Sef&Chase
                    #HOTTOLINE
                    LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

TheShadow
                    @theshadow
                      • Total Posts: 305

@ellette-giselle

Sorry this is late. This is a good question, and there have been a lot of good answers already. I would think Aaron might try to be strong for others, but when he’s alone he would let his emotions come and mourn for his friend privately. Maybe if someone mentions it he could show signs of what he’s truly feeling.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by TheShadow.

"No! Monkeys should have pets, all monkeys should have pets!"

Loopy
                      @loopylin
                        • Total Posts: 2334

This is a cool topic. I have a question for the guys.

So I have a character who’s a pretty good artist who has a habit of doodling on his skin. (Sometimes for practice, sometimes out of boredom, and sometimes for emotional regulation) As a girl with this same habit, I tend to doodle things like stars, planets, flowers, and little swirly or paisley designs. All of these are very feminine, though.

So my question is, as a guy, if you were to doodle on yourself, what kinds of things would you draw?

“Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help mom with the dishes.”

The Ducktator
                        @theducktator
                          • Total Posts: 723

@loopylin

I’m not a guy, but I have brothers. One brother likes to draw goofy cartoon animals when he’s bored. Usually on paper though.

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Ellette Giselle
                          @ellette-giselle
                            • Total Posts: 1072

@loopylin

My brother doodles an EXCESSIVE amount of weapons and weapon parts. sometimes just the outside, sometimes down to runes on swords and insides of guns. He also doodles out things he’s inventing at the time. Oh, and strange shape combinations that all fit into each other kinda like a puzzle.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

The Ducktator
                            @theducktator

@savannah_grace2009

I generally cry by myself too. Talking to people is too awkward.😬 Ugh.

The Ducktator
                              @theducktator

@otherworldlyhistorian

It is also my opinion that at least with my friends who are dudes we usually do more play teasing or complaining than when I am hanging out with my friends who are girls.

I’ve noticed that sort of thing. My brother and his friends trash talk each other and beat each other up a lot, whereas my friends and I talk about rubber duck romance and our lives.

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009

@theducktator

Yeah for realllll!

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >