Writing a series where the books aren’t technically related…?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing a series where the books aren’t technically related…?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ella
    @nova21
      • Total Posts: 604

Hiya Keepers!!!  I hope y’all are doing amazing!!! <333  Recently, I had the idea to combine my three favorite ideas and set them in the same world in different years in the future, simply because I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to work on because I love them all so much!! 😂

But I’d love to hear some feedback…  Have any of y’all written a series in which the books aren’t technically related but are set in the same world?  Do y’all like or dislike those stories?  (be honest😊)

My stories in simplified form narrow down to this (with the year in parentheses):

Book One: Splendor (2037)
      Plot: With opposite paths and a common goal, sisters Emiyn and Aven are trying to reunite in a world ravaged by global disaster, terror, and death.
      Book Two: Solace (2041)
      Plot: Government operatives hire Faith to track down the ghostlike assassin Selena Osman, who was once Faith’s friend and now possesses supernatural powers.
      Book Three: Spirals (2045)
      Plot: Living alone in the wilderness since she was young, Bridget tries to survive the ravaged world around her while battling the strange voices in her head that might be telling another story.

I’d appreciate advice or thoughts on if I should do this or if it’s weird and just write them separately.

Thanks a bunch!

❤ -Ella

@devastate-lasting
      , @gracie-j, @godlyfantasy12, @daisy-torres, @not-so-secret-secret-assassin, @lewilliams, @seekjustice, @e-k-seaver, @abigail-m, @writerlexi1216, @joy-caroline, @molly, @relia, @nanisnook, @faith-q, @lydia-s, @g_c_al, @anyone-i-missed-im-sorry

what we do in life echoes in eternity
      -gladiator, 2000

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@nova21 I think I have one series on my to-do where the only thing in common was that they were in the same world and some minor characters made an appearance. Heck, most of my series happen in the same world.

I think that your ideas sound awesome! I feel like however that the three should either a) tie in with each other at the end, or b) have visible affects upon each other. For example, something that happened in Splendor is clearly shown to have affects in Solace. And so on.

Best of luck! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

relia
        @relia
          • Total Posts: 47

@nova21

Sounds super fun!

Hm. I haven’t read many books like this, but my instinct would be to say that the books should tie in to each other in some way. It could literally be a tiny cameo, or “Remember ___”, or whatever, but I think that even small connections like that make it much more satisfying as a reader.

Also, realistically, events in one book would probably have at least some impact on the next books. Unless it’s the smallest conflict ever, book one will probably affect something in book two, and just mentioning that the two are connected can create a sense of continuity and help build your world.

So – In my opinion it’s not inherently bad to have them unrelated, but making them related (even in a tiny way) will make them more realistic and satisfying.

I can't think of anything witty at the moment.

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12
            • Total Posts: 6645

@nova21 Hiya! So honest opinion, I personally don’t care for those kinda series mainly because when I get attached to a character I get ATTACHED. Like seriously attached. If that characters grabs me, and I have to get used to an entirely new one I’m like “ehhh”

BUT with that being said, there are many series’ out there like this i’m sure and many fans as well, so just because it’s not my cup of tea doesn’t mean it’s not a great idea!!

I would suggest definitely working on the plot, but don’t throw out character development just because they’re a one time book thing, they still need to grab readers but the plot also needs to.

you’d also need to decide if you want your future books devoid of any mention of the others (other then being in the same world) or have little things mentioned.

if you’re going the route where you want people to be able to ready any of them without having to read them in order then this kind of series is definitely the way to go.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@nova21 but there are series that have no mention of each other except the world or some other aspect. I believe there are anyway and you can probably find them online.

One thing too is to know your fans. You’re not gonna be looking for your average series fans specifically (tho most will probably love your books) but you’ll also be moving towards those who enjoy One book things instead of a long sprawling series, but if you make the world meme or able they’ll want more!

and this is also great for when you want to write stand-alone but have developed a wonderful world you want to keep working in!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Faith Q.
              @faith-q
                • Total Posts: 106

@nova21

I think I agree with most of the people here. I’ve read very few series like this, but when I do, I’m often sadly disappointed. I get attached to a character, and I don’t want to give him/her up! But if you do write this type of series, definitely connect them in some way. If you don’t want to make them a series, you don’t have to connect them, but each of the books in a series should be related. That’s about all I’ve got to say, so… toodleoo!

Daisy Torres
                @daisy-torres
                  • Total Posts: 691

@nova21 Oooo those ideas sound amazing!! Good luck!!!

Yes! I am working on a series like that too! Era of Shadows (which was actually the first book I published) is going to be part of a series like that full of old fairytale retellings XD

Your stories sound so cool!! I looove stories that have their own plots but continue in the same world!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

ella
                  @nova21

@devastate-lasting, @relia, @faith-q

That’s great advice, thanks y’all! <3 I was thinking that maybe what happens in Splendor (massive tsunamis that wipe out half of earth) leaves the characters in Solace living in a whole new economy/government system where people’s normal jobs are to scavenge things from underwater.  And I love the idea of a cameo appearance!!!  I’m totally going to do that.

@godlyfantasy12

Thanks so much for your input! <3 I totally get being attached to characters so much.  You got me thinking though… maybe (like in Chronicles of Narnia) I could transition to each book with one of the MCs or secondary characters meeting/hiring/searching for the MC of the next book…  idk.

@daisy-torres

Aww, thanks Daisy!  I’m glad you love stories like that!! <3

-gladiator, 2000

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17
                      • Total Posts: 2522

@nova21 I do like series set in the same world but aren’t necessarily connected. 👍🏽 But I think to achieve this successfully the world building has to be done really well and made interesting enough for the reader to stay in that world. In this kind of situation, I personally like it when the books are at least a little bit connected, even if it’s a brief mention as to what happened in other books. But that’s just me. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                      www.jennaterese.com

ella
                      @nova21

@jenwriter17

Awesome, that makes sense.  Some others were mentioning cameo appearances, which I’m totally going to do!!  Thanks for the advice, Jenna!! <3

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by ella. Reason: tag didn't work

-gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
                        @gracie-j
                          • Total Posts: 1789

@nova21 Well…I don’t think I have any stories like that (but I might…somewhere…)

That being said, that’s definitely something I would do and I don’t see why you couldn’t put them together in a series! It would be cool to have some minor characters make cameo appearances or to mention certain people/events from other books…but that’s up to you!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Daisy Torres
                          @daisy-torres
                            • Total Posts: 691

@nova21 Absolutely! (Also I totally second doing a cameo appearance. Those are the bestt)

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Madelyn
                            @madelyn
                              • Total Posts: 115

@nova21

That idea sounds awesome! I’ve seen unrelated books in a series done before successfully.

For example, The Knights of Arrethrae Series by Chuck Black is a collection of books that follow different knights pursuing the same cause. The characters don’t (with one exception) cross over into the other books, and the series is still well-crafted and gripping.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis is another example of this (but on a much lesser scale). The Magician’s Nephew sets the stage for the rest of the series, but the characters (with the exception of Aslan and The White Witch) only appear briefly later in the seriesIn The Horse and His Boy, characters from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe have only minor roles and the actual main characters never appear later in the series*.

*Come to think of it, they may be briefly mentioned in The Last Battle. I can’t remember XD

All that to say, it has totally been done before, I would definitely say that a few character cross-overs (brief or otherwise) would add to the magic of the series. Also, having the same world throughout the books and building upon it throughout the series will help give the readers stability in the connection of the books. If you stay consistent with the world, when the reader opens the next book it will be like an old friend (the world) introducing them to new ones (the characters).

Honestly, I have no idea if that analogy makes any sense.

Anddddd, this is the point where I stop talking before I start rambling 😉

Best of luck with your series!! It sounds awesome! 🙂

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Abigail.M.
                              @abigail-m
                                • Total Posts: 1242

@nova21

Honestly, I don’t remember reading a series where each book wasn’t technically related yet was set in the same world… but seriously? I LOVE the concept!! 😀

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Abigail.M..
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >