Writing a Native American character

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Writing a Native American character

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LoopyLin
    @loopylin
      • Total Posts: 2020

(Not sure who to tag for this) @freedomwriter76 @godlyfantsy12 @ava-blue @theloonyone @mineralizedwritings @lightoverdarkness6 @keilah-h @anyoneelse?

Hello! So I have this character, Nico (might change his name, idk) who is somewhere in his 20’s. He lives in a tiny apartment in Arizona in today’s time and works at an ice cream shop, and tries to disprove the existence of cryptids/ mythical creatures as a side job. Totally normal stuff.

Anyway, for various reasons, I was thinking of making Nico and his brother Ethan Native American. The problem is I know nothing about how Indian reservations work, what different tribes are like, if it is still common for them to speak their native languages or if they only speak English, and things like that.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about modern Native Americans or where I could learn more about the subject?

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3202

@loopylin

I would have no idea. 😅

But I know that @freedomwriter76 researches for her WIPs so she has some great tips about researching. From what I can directly remember from what she told me concerning my Civil War novel idea, is don’t use Wikipedia. Use trusted websites (she recommended History.com, but I’m not sure if that will help with what you’re doing) Also, do a lot of reading on the subject you’re researching!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

LoopyLin
        @loopylin

@esther-c

yes… research. 😑 I just don’t know where to start.

Thanks for the website recommendation!

Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin
            • Total Posts: 310

@loopylin

If you are ever traveling to Washington D.C. There is the National Museum of Native American History there that I found really helpful/interesting. 🤷

(also apparently you can use emojis on a Chromebook)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Folith-Feolin. Reason: added emoji
            LoopyLin
            @loopylin

@folith-feolin

Ok cool! I could maybe find a way to do an online tour or something?

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 3875

@loopylin I’ve been in a modern reservation, but didn’t actually meet anyone while I was there. They have their own rules there while still under the US government, I think….?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Erica
                @starofthenorth
                  • Total Posts: 199

@loopylin

I don’t really know much . . . I’ve driven through some reservations I think but never actually seen/met anyone. And like @keilah-h said, they do have their own government. I also believe they still carry on many of their tribal/religious practices.

I guess I would say the most important thing is to make it as accurate as possible so as not to offend anyone.

Good luck with your story! It sounds interesting!

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

@loopylin Yeah, don’t use Wikipedia if you can help it. The “wiki” part means it is maintained and edited by ordinary people rather than some admin or a knowledgeable source, which means misinformation can get spread really easily on places like that.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Folith-Feolin
                    @folith-feolin

@loopylin

here is the link to the museum’s website

https://americanindian.si.edu/

I agree that you should make sure that your sources are reputable. You can use Wikipedia but you have to be a little more active in your reading to tell if things are reputable or not also you should check in the talk section. Overall Wikipedia works better as a way to find sources ie by looking at the sources that Wikipedia cited over an actual place to gather all of your information.

Koshka
                      @koshka
                        • Total Posts: 1424

@loopylin

Um, I may be barging in here, but I know a little about Native American reservations and stuff.

Wether or not the native language is spoken depends highly on the tribe/area, but many are still active languages. Most states have several websites for the Native Nations in their state, which are very informative and helpful. Many nations have their own sites as well, and some have history organizations and the like.

First I’d pick the tribe Nico is from, then look at websites. Start with universities, museums, and government websites.

Here’s a map of Arizona reservations.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

LoopyLin
                        @loopylin

@koshka

You weren’t barging in. This is super helpful, especially the map! Thank you!

@folith-feolin
                          @keilah-h

Thanks for the help!

Folith-Feolin
                          @folith-feolin

@starofthenorth

I believe that they have a website located at https://americanindian.si.edu/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >