Writing a conflicted character while getting readers to root for her?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Writing a conflicted character while getting readers to root for her?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

@madelyn

Les Misérables is absolutely AH-MAY-ZING!!! Ya need to read it. If you haven’t heard the musical, I would recommend that too. I absolutely love it. The Original London Cast recording is my favorite because of Roger Allam who plays Javert. I’m just obsessed with him. XD

I haven’t read The Count, but I know the story. I don’t think it’s like Les Mis except for the time period and Napoleon stuff. XD

Yay!!

@anatra23

😊

Anonymous

@maryg3

AHHH MAN !!! YOU ARE AMAZING.

Thanks so much for the awesome advice!!! I saved that diagram to a doc, ’cause I think it will be very helpful as I write Keziah !! By the looks of it, it will even help with Temira too.

Ooh, I need to read The Hiding Place. I love books that make me cry, and books with themes of forgiveness. It sounds super powerful.

The link worked! Imma go read the article after writing this reply. And ugh, I know, the forum does tend to eat my posts too. XD

That’s literally exactly what I want to do with Keziah, kind of lessen the natural warm feelings the reader will have for Paul and create that gooood conflict. It’s heart-ripping to me just when I think about it, so hopefully it will be for readers too!

I really like your advice of making readers understand why Keziah feels the way she does. Also, letting them choose to side with her is gonna be awesome. *rubs hands together* We writers enjoy giving readers pain, I guess! 😉

About beta readers, I might actually ask on here for some in a month or two! I’m planning on writing maybe up to ten chapters or a little less on The Apostle’s Sister. Probably will get started soon. I appreciate the volunteer lots!

Again, thank you SO much!!!

Mary G
        @maryg3
          • Total Posts: 90

@joy-caroline

Oh, phew! I’m glad it was helpful! You are very welcome! My Pleasure!

Yes, definitely read The Hidding place!

I hope that link about forgiveness has something useful in it. If not, there’s  lots of other posts like that on that blog that touch deeply into the psychology side of writing. I read stuff on there all the time.:)

I find that if you write with emotion and a meaningful intention it definitely leaks into your writings. So I think you’re right on!!

Good luck with writing! I’m eager to read it when the time comes!!

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Lydia S.
          @lydia-s
            • Total Posts: 399

@joy-caroline

Oooo, I love Keziah already!!! I guess one thing about her that would make people (yours truly especially… 😛 ) LOVE her is to make her tug at your readers’ heartstrings and make her relatable. Make her a mirror in which, perhaps, from time to time, they see someone who is all too familiar. (The desire for revenge, brooding, and harboring ill feelings are something everyone battles at some time in their life after all.) Show the struggle between Keziah’s love for Christ and her hatred for the man He saved. Show the Way/way out and the reasons she chooses not to take hold of that Way. These are just ideas, but whatever you do, I’m sure you’ll do an amazing job! Good luck, God bless, and GO GET ‘EM! 😀

Anonymous

@maryg3

I bookmarked the website, it looks like it’ll be really helpful with future things! I’m filling out the Heartland Forgiveness Scale for Keziah that I found in the article you sent. It’s pretty amazing!!

Thank you!

@lydia-s

Thanks so much for the tips! I really like the idea of making Keziah a mirror. You sure are right that it’s something everyone battles. I also love the idea of showing Keziah’s love for Christ, ’cause I feel like that’s what really will make readers feel attached to her.

Aw, thanks! Appreciate the advice!!

Mary G
              @maryg3
                • Total Posts: 90

@joy-caroline

AWESOME!!👏👏👏

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Madelyn
                @madelyn
                  • Total Posts: 115

@joy-caroline

I’m looking forward to reading it! I’ve heard the majority of the songs from the musical; I really like some of them! What are your favorites? Off the top of my head, I really like The Confrontation, On My Own, One Day More, and any part of a song that Gavroche sings 😉 I’ve also listened to the audio drama by Focus on the Family, so that and the songs gave me the story (but I’m pretty sure there is quite a bit more in the book).

Javert is a very interesting character! He’s really different from other villains in that he is obsessed with justice (while most other villains disregard it–especially when it concerns themself)

I wouldn’t have thought The Count was similar to Les Mis, but when I started thinking about it, I found a few coincidental similarities. There is the time period (like you mentioned). Both are about a guy who goes to prison unjustly in one way or another (in one case, the guy isn’t guilty at all, and in the other, the punishment doesn’t really fit the crime). He comes back to society many years later and takes on a different name. Both rise to positions of power and wealth. Both stories have a large cast of characters whose lives are intricately intertwined, whether in the past or present (this is true of many stories, but I feel like these two stories have that element stronger than most).

The stories then take a different path, and the similarities pretty much end there, but I found them interesting and a little funny XD

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Anonymous

@madelyn

I love love love the musical!! My top three songs are One Day More, Bring Him Home, and Epilogue. Confrontation, Stars, and Javert’s Soliloquy are the next three. Valjean Arrested/Valjean Forgiven is also beautiful. You might notice I have a quote from Stars in my signature. It’s just so majestic! When it’s Roger Allam. I can literally write an entire essay of reasons he’s the best Javert.

While the musical is awesome though, it’s the unabridged novel that will really deliver all the beauty of the story. The musical is wonderful, but I like to think of it as a supplement.

Javert is my fave villain!

Ah, yeah, you’re right! The stories themselves couldn’t be more different, but there are a few elements that both share.

Madelyn
                    @madelyn
                      • Total Posts: 115

@joy-caroline

Awesome! One Day More is such a climactic song, and it’s so cool how it ties all the stories together! 🙂

I’m really looking forward to reading the book! While I’ve read many spectacular modern books, it’s the old classics that really go deep and display true workmanship.

Yes, it’s interesting how Jean Valjean and Edmund Dantes go such different paths, despite having similar early struggles.

Anyhow, I hope to see you around the forums! Good luck with your character!!!

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Anonymous

@madelyn

Agreed!

Agreed again! The classics are masterpieces. I think you’ve really got to read at least a couple before you consider writing. Just ’cause they’re awesome examples of literature that lives on and continues to move readers and change lives down through the ages. Which is what we all want to do with our own writing, right? 🙌

Thank you so much! I hope to see you around as well, and be sure to let me know what you think of Les Mis when you finish it! (I know you’ll love it. XD)

Lydia S.
                        @lydia-s
                          • Total Posts: 399

@joy-caroline

You’re so welcome! I hope this goes well for you. Go get ’em! <333

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >