Writing A Christian Fantasy-HELP

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing A Christian Fantasy-HELP

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

Hi! I honestly haven’t written much Christian fantasy (my stories are mostly fanfictions, so it might look a little weird if warrior cats were preaching to their clan or clone troopers were carrying Bibles next to their rifles in battle–although that would be pretty cool come to think of it). I have ideas for stories, however, where characters such as dragons get to see biblical events (like Jaye, Beck, and Argent witnessing the Crucifixion and Resurrection).I don’t have a lot of advice myself, but I’d suggest reading the Max and Liz/Order of the Seven series–although those are kids’ books and based off biblical events, the two series (which are actually one) have a generous dose of fantasy, and are about talking animals on a mission for God by helping key events in history happen.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@daisy-torres You’re so welcome!!!!!!!!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12
          • Total Posts: 6645

@daisy-torres @gracie-j

thank y’all so much!!!

So this is what I’ve got.

Arabella

• She is to help save those who will defeat Eder.
          • She has to change her mindset
          • She must learn to let go and trust God, (The One) to forgive herself of a past mistake and know that God has created her for this purpose and she can do it.

November

• To be a leader, and protector, not a follower
          • his outlook about hisself
          • Must learn to have confidence that God made him the way he is supposed to be, flaws and all and to be confident in who he is.

Corvina

• Her purpose is to be redeemed and defeat Eder
          • her mindset must be changed
          • she must learn to forgive herself, open up her heart and trust again. To be freed from her under demons and know that salvation is possible.

Jocelyn

• To be an encourager
          • Her dreams need to change and she needs to be willing to do God’s will
          • Learn to fall in love with God and keep her innocence and joy despite the trials she faces.

what do y’all think?

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12

One theme keeps repeating itself and that’s trust, also forgiveness wether it’s of others or of self (usually of self) so for the whole series I think the the main themes would be trust, forgiveness, freedom and love

As for the first book what do you think the themes should be? I’m thinking Trust, confidence and openness to the Lord’s will (if those count as themes)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j

@godlyfantasy12 THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!

So, it looks like your themes are identity (in God, mainly), confidence, faithfulness, following God’s will, redemption, and trusting in God!!! AAHH! I love it!

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

@gracie-j AHHH the way u worded it looks perfect!! Oh thank you!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j

@godlyfantasy12 YAAAYYYY! Thank you! You’re so welcome!!! That should give you a wonderful place to start!

Daisy Torres
                  @daisy-torres
                    • Total Posts: 691

@godlyfantasy12 Those themes sound amazingg!!! I can see them definitely bringing glory to God!! You got this 100%!!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice
                      • Total Posts: 3365

@godlyfantasy12

Hello there! Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you 😀

There’s been a lot of good answers to your questions already, so I’ll do my best to give my two cents.

Personally, I write in two genres and my approach to putting God into those stories is different. My main genres are historical and fantasy, and my historical stuff tends to be very religious, because the world was a lot more religious (at least superficially, I personally don’t think there were more true Christians back then necessarily, but that’s another topic). All my historical stories deal with Christians (though usually Catholics, just because of the characters I tend to have) and have heavy Christian themes. I don’t really care whether they’re read by non-christians much, though a lot of secular readers are happy to read his-fic with heavy religious themes (the success of books like Burial Rites, shows me that). I write my historical fiction for Christians mainly, and whoever else wants to read it is more than welcome to.

My fantasy I take a different approach with. Personally, while I happily read allegorical books like Narnia, I’ve always felt very uncomfortable with writing my own. I don’t want to take on the burden of a character that is meant to mirror God so closely. So I take the Tolkien approach to writing fantasy and I represent God (or try to) by showing characters doing good, and characters doing evil, and showing hope, truth, love and faith. I’m rereading The Return of the King as we speak, and I’ve really been struck by how christ-like Aragorn is. I’m at the end now, where he returns to Gondor and heals the people who’ve been struck down by the Nazgul and heals the country, and I think that’s definitely meant to be an allusion to the return of the greatest king of all.

Ultimately, this is a very personal decision. I made the mistake when I was a young writer of trying to copy what everyone else said (and at that time, it was all “Christian fiction is the worst, we need more fiction by Christians!”) instead of turning to God and looking at myself and seeing what I was being called to do and what I wanted to do. So yes, that’s my very scrambled thoughts on the matter.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >