Writers' Corner #20

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #20

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    valtmy
    @valtmy
      • Total Posts: 732
      Alia
      @alia
        • Total Posts: 1253

@seekjustice, @rochellaine, @jenwriter17, @dekreel, @valtmy

anyone here?

WIP - Decisions
        Kapeefer til we're old and grey

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@alia @jenwriter17 @valtmy @rochellaine

Would anyone like to join me in listening to musicals and writing blog posts one handed?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice I’d love to join you! 😀

Unfortunately, I can’t stay up really late tonight because we’re moving tomorrow morning so I’ve got to get up early.  But I’ll probably be awake for another hour or two.  What are you listening to?

(Oh, and I realized today that you already finished September, but it’s still September here, so…I forgot that you would have meant yesterday when you set the deadline. 😮 Whoops!  I’ll send you some comments tonight, but I might not get to all of the questions because I can’t be up too late.  Please forgive me for being a horrible procrastinator!)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Oh are you moving? Hopefully not far from the Smithsonian. I’m listening to The Secret Garden.

hmmm…I forgive you. 😛 And think you and @dekreel are the only ones who haven’t done it, but she didn’t think she would be able to…

Ah, wait, what about @catwing ?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice No, we’re actually moving just a tiny bit closer to DC. 😀  Why the Smithsonian, particularly?

Oh, now I actually have a chance to look that up!  Give me a bit and I’ll listen to a few songs. Have you finished the book yet?

Thanks. 🙂  You should already have my comments in the document, right?  I just have to answer the general questions from the questionnaire you sent out?  Because I was commenting on the second draft as you let me read it while you were doing the edits.

To answer your question from the other night, I don’t remember ever seeing a kangaroo, though I may have in a zoo when I was younger, as I’ve been to a few different zoos.  My first recollections of kangaroos are from Winnie the Pooh and Katy No-Pocket.  Have you heard of Katy No-Pocket?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Because when I come to America, I’d love to go to the Smithsonian 😛

Yep, I finished the book the other day!

Yeah, that’d be great 😀

I haven’t heard of Katy No-Pocket but my sister and I were laughing the other day about the fact that English/Americans refer to kangaroos as having “pockets”.

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice There are several Smithsonians.  Is there one you’re particularly interested in visiting, or do you just want to go to all of them because they’re cool, free museums? 😉  I don’t think I’ve been to all of them.

Okay, I’m trying to find the Secret Garden soundtrack, then I’ll get to your questionnaire.

Hm, that’s interesting. 😛  What do you call them if not “pockets”?  (Also, how did you find out that Americans call them “pockets”?)

Katy No-Pocket is a really cute children’s book about a mother kangaroo who doesn’t have a pocket and has to try to figure out a way to carry her baby.  It’s illustrated by the guy who wrote Curious George. (You must have heard of Curious George…)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

All of them! (Totally realistic) but particularly the Air and Space Museum  (is that what its called?)

I believe the scientific word is pouches. That’s what we call them anyway.

I’v read a lot of American and English literature. Australians write very little on the subject of kangaroos but Americans in particular are fascinated by them.

And yes, I’ve heard of Curious George.

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Yes, it’s called the Air and Space Museum.  That one is really cool!!  I’ve been there several times.  I think you’d like it a lot.

Oh yes, now I remember.  I’ve heard them called pouches.

Haha. 😛  Are there any American animals that Australians think are cool? 😉

I’m liking The Secret Garden so far. 😀 What’s your favorite song from it?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

That’s the one with the Wright flyer and the Spirit of St Louis? It looks really cool.

😛

No not really, because all the Aussie animals are way cooler 😛 we do enjoy mocking them though…especially bald eagles and alligators.

My favourites are Winter’s on the Wing and Wick, but I much prefer the Australian over the Broadway versions for both those songs. I thibk the Broadway Dickson sounds too much like an old man 😀

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@seekjustice Yup, that’s the one.  The space shuttle is really cool too.  Here are a few pictures I took last time we went (sorry I’m not a great photographer 😉 ):

Haha.  Bald eagles are cool, but even if you think they’re funny, just consider the fact that our national bird might have been the turkey.  I think the bald eagle is much better than that! 😛  What’s wrong with alligators?

I just read the synopsis to the Secret Garden musical and there are ghosts in it?!  Hm.  Oh well, I still like the songs. 😛  Doesn’t seem like the ghosts have much to do with the plot, or do they?

What do you think of The House of the Seven Gables and Wuthering Heights? I’ve never read either of them, but I’ve read synopses and seen adaptions.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

My aviator’s heart is beating wildly.

The turkey??? That’s just embarrassing. Speaking of national birds though, I once saw an American say that emus came from China.

Nothing is wrong with alligators they just aren’t as cool as saltwater crocodiles. Or as big. Or as dangerous…

The ghosts serve as the narrators. I think the choir is supposed to be the ghosts.

I haven’t heard of the first book, but Wuthering Heights rather scares me. I haven’t read it though.

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@seekjustice 😀

Apparently Benjamin Franklin thought the eagle would be a bad national bird because it attacks little birds and steals their food.  He proposed the turkey, but I think that would be rather silly.

Forgive us. 😛 Americans are mocked everywhere, and by our own selves, for knowing little.  There’s a joke I’ve heard which goes, “What do you call a person who speaks several languages?  Trilingual.  What do you call someone who speaks two languages?  Bilingual.  What do you call someone who speaks one language?  An American.”

We used to live near an emu farm, so I’ve seen them quite often here in America.  Do you have emu farms in Australia, or is that just an American thing?

Do you know the song “Never Smile at a Crocodile” from Disney’s Peter Pan?

Ah, I see. 😉

I don’t think I’d like Wuthering Heights at all.  It does sound rather scary.  I liked the two adaptions of The House of the Seven Gables I saw, though.  The most famous adaption, I believe, is the 1940s film with Vincent Price.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, apparently the emu is out bird and on our coat of arms because it can’t walk backward. Same with the kangaroo.

😛 Most white Australians can only speak one language, but since Australia is so multicultural a lot of Australians speak more than one language.

There are some emu farms, but not that many. Someone who lives near us has a pet emu though.

I do indeed know that song 😀

What’s The House of Seven Gables about?

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 736 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >