Writer's Corner #13

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writer's Corner #13

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 810 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@rochellaine  Hmm…. *smirks*  I like that! It’s unique!

… Wait, so how do you feel about me? Please don’t make me disappear! *prepares to hide under table*

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@dekreel  Yeah, I have a feeling I would be a sweet, well-meaning character who unintentionally ruins everyone’s plans because I would deal with things in a real-world way. 😀  That would be very annoying for fantasy believers, and could really mess up the cliched plot for them. *snickers*

I don’t know…if you act enough like a person I might forget you’re a strange creature and begin to believe in you. 😀 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

ClaireC
        @clairec
          • Total Posts: 628

@rochellaine, ah-hah! Another person who isn’t really into fantasy. Isn’t it funny how everyone on here seems to be writing about elves? 😛 I might write some fantasy in the future, but for now my writing tries to stay relatively realistic. Do you read fantasy, or do you just not like it very much?

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@clairec  Yes!  Everyone is so into fantasy now it seems all other genres are forgotten for young people!

I have read a little fantasy.  I liked the Chuck Black Kingdom  and Knights series okay a couple of years ago, and I love the Frank Peretti Cooper Kids series (which is only semi-fantasy).  Other than that, though I mostly read historical fiction and contemporary realistic fiction.  I write both those categories, and once I mixed them up in a time travel book, so that was sci-fi.  But still realistic.

I feel like fantasy is the dessert of literature, and realistic genres are more like fruits and vegetables, and theological/philosophical stuff is like meats and grains.  What do you think of that break-down?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

ClaireC
            @clairec
              • Total Posts: 628

@rochellaine, I like it! It’s a great analogy.

I’m writing alternative historical fiction about the Pacific (mainly Australia and Papua New Guinea) in WWII. When I first mentioned that here on the forum everyone’s reactions were “You’re changing history? You can’t do that!” But. Think Captain America (which I haven’t seen, but know the entire story and plot of, ’cause… K.M. Weiland 😉 ). The war still ends with the Allies in victory, but there’s just a couple of things that I’ve added in which…didn’t happen.

I really love it, because my imagination can’t run too rampant, it has to stay at least partly in the realms of true history, but I still get to make up some things. hee hee!

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@clairec Okayyy, that sounds interesting.  I’m a real stickler for historical accuracy, but not so much historical events as culture.  I will freak out if someone wears a 1947 dress in 1943, or talks about an actress whose first movie was released six months later than the time in which the book was set, but if you want to add a few historical events here and there, it probably would just make it interesting.  😀

I actually really like time travel, which kind of has the same premise, (that you can change history.)  Do you like time travel at all?  (I read the plot to Captain America once; didn’t he semi-time-travel because of suspended animation or something in one of the movies?)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Aislinn Mollisong
                @aislinn-mollisong
                  • Total Posts: 445

@clairec @rochellaine @dekreel @catwing @anyoneelse

Aislinn here! Wotcha doin’? I’m writing.

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                  https://forums.theaetherli

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

Hey!  @aislinn-mollisong I’m working on my western, and chatting with @clairec about how – contrary to what most people here think – fantasy isn’t the only genre out there. 😀

What are you doing?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Aislinn Mollisong
                    @aislinn-mollisong

@rochellaine Still working on Embers Burning, (as it’s still my only major project) and I haven’t gotten far. I’ve sort of worked myself into a corner, as it were, because I know what needs to happen LATER, but I need to get past what’s happening NOW, and what’s happening now is rather tricky, yet important. (That statement is basically the last three chapters I’ve written.)

And of course fantasy isn’t the only genre! While it is somewhat my favorite to read, and by far my favorite to write, I do like historical fiction and…uh…what is it called when it’s modern but not sci-fi? IDEK.

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@aislinn-mollisong I am just at that place in my western, too!  It’s awful.  Right now I’m doing a little bit of outlining, and I might just skip the hard part and write the next part, then come back to it later.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Skredder
                        @skredder
                          • Total Posts: 527

@aislinn-mollisong @rochellaine Howdy, Folks! 🙂

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Aislinn Mollisong
                          @aislinn-mollisong

@rochellaine I can’t bring myself to skip. IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING IN ME! I must write linearly, for some strange reason. *shrugs* What’s the plot of your western? Is it the one with the snake?

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@skredder Hi!

@aislinn-mollisong
                              Yes, it’s the one with the snake.  😀  But the snake isn’t really part of the plot, just part of the story.  I’m trying to make it like the old westerns except set in modern times.  It’s about a girl who goes out west to visit her uncle and aunt.  They actually live in the city, but she meets some young people who are also visiting the area as well as some who own a ranch raising thoroughbred horses.  So, a couple of the horses go missing, and there’s this off-the-grid guy living in a cabin in the mountains where they go hiking – I haven’t decided if he actually steals the horses or not – and there’s a little bit of romance, but I haven’t gotten very far into it yet.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Aislinn Mollisong
                              @aislinn-mollisong

@rochellaine that sounds awesome! Have you read A Voice In The Wilderness by…uh…hold on. *looks at book on Kindle* Grace Livingston Hill? I LOVE that book!

Joy
                                @dekreel
                                  • Total Posts: 2304

@skredder  @rochellaine  @clairec  @aislinn-mollisong

The Beast is back!! Hi, guys! I’m writing

You can pronounce it however you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 810 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >