Worldbuilding help and discussions!

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Worldbuilding help and discussions!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1251

@jonas

Cool! So you were able to make it so that the calendar could mesh with earth time just enough so that you could fit your birthday into it as a significant day. It also makes sense that the months follow the Eivir.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

I basically ā€œfixedā€ earth time to eliminate leap years and make all months the same length. It would have worked with 12 months too, but 9 made more sense.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
        āœØ Magic System Creator
        šŸŽ­ Character RPer
        šŸ“š Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
        @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

That works. I like 9, it has fun properties. 12 does to of coursešŸ˜†

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

hybridlore
          @hybridlore
            • Total Posts: 1359

@thearcaneaxiom

No problem, thanks for your input! I think Iā€™m just going to try to make up something else to power them. I donā€™t want to go too far into all the science behind it, but I just wanted something to explain how the spaceships worked. Itā€™s kind of just one of those things you have to brainstorm a bit for, so Iā€™ll do that eventually.

There is always light behind the clouds.
            - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@hybridlore

Fair enough, sounds good to me!

RAE
              @rae
                • Total Posts: 3016

@thearcaneaxiom

I have an idea on the subject of month, rotations, weeks and days with mathā€¦all the numbers relate to seven somehow.

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom

@rae

Cool! The best way to work with 7 when it comes to things like cycles, is to simply take advantage of the fact that 7 is a prime number. That way you can factor it with other numbers to get a series of unique combinations.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

@rae @thearcaneaxiom thatā€™s pretty cool!

Considering a week already has 7 days in our universe, you could easily build it around thatā€¦.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 3875

@jonas Thatā€™s too funny about your birthday being in the middle of the year!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

HighScribe
                      @highscribeofaetherium
                        • Total Posts: 2238

@all-the-peoples

So. I require some assistance.

I have a planet that has no sun. Ok, technicallyĀ it does orbit a star, but thatā€™s not important right now. The sun and the stars are not visible from the planet (its two moons are sometimes visible as dim grey disks, though).

So my question is: HowĀ in the shadows (ignore my weird Ciali expressions) are these people going to measure time? They have no concept of a ā€˜dayā€™, and they also wouldnā€™t have a solar year. The day thing is more of an issue, though, because itā€™s kind of, um, really hard to write a story without making any mention of a ā€˜dayā€™ šŸ˜…

Any suggestions are welcome because Iā€™m stumped on this one.

Thanks!

History is a wheel that has outlasted many hamsters.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Sara
                        @savannah_grace2009
                          • Total Posts: 1992

@highscribeofaetherium

They could use an hourglass maybe?

I have no clueā€¦.sorryā€¦

Lukas&Livia
                          #Lalbert
                          Sef&Chase
                          #HOTTOLINE
                          LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

So, it orbits a star so far away that they canā€™t even see it? And there are no other stars near enough to be seen? Iā€™m not sure if it would even beĀ possibleĀ for a planet to be orbiting a star that was far enough away that it couldnā€™t even be seen, but idk.

I have the same problem on Ildin, since people live underground. I think that they could still easily have minutes and hours, because those arenā€™t based on any natural pattern really. Iā€™m guessing they would have no concept of days, though. (On Ildin they might since their planet does have a day-night cycle, it just isnā€™t something that matters to the inhabitants.) They would likely base longer time measurements on any other regular cycles. For example, if their moons have regular orbits, they could still have the concept of a month. A year could just be an arbitrary number of months, and a day could just be an arbitrary fraction of a month.

There are a lot of technical difficulties with life on a planet with no light at all, but since you didnā€™t ask for help about that, I wonā€™t make any suggestions about that unless you want me to.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                            āœØ Magic System Creator
                            šŸŽ­ Character RPer

HighScribe
                            @highscribeofaetherium
                              • Total Posts: 2238

@jonas

Oh, no, the star is either a blackhole (which I would have to fudge immensely to get to work) or a new thing Iā€™ll have to invent. Iā€™m pretty sure that if it was a black hole there would still be light visible unless it was inside the event horizon (which would just be ridiculous ((and also you might still be able to see light if you were looking away from the black hole))).

I was thinking that they could use the moons for some things, and I suppose that could work for their year. Youā€™re right, they wouldnā€™t have any concept of a ā€˜dayā€™, but they would probably still have some way to break the time up into smaller chunks.

Like what technical difficulties?

Thanks!

@savannah_grace2009

Thatā€™s ok, this is kind of a complicated question. An hourglass-like thing was something I considered, but I thought that probably wouldnā€™t work very well.

Thank you, too.

History is a wheel that has outlasted many hamsters.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

Okay. I have no idea whether a planet could safely orbit a blackhole.

These are the main technical difficulties I was thinking of:

• Planets are warmed by light from the star they orbit.
                                • Plants need light to photosynthesis, and animals need plants to eat. (You could replace all plants with fungi, which donā€™t need light from my understanding.)

Also, I donā€™t think that being near a blackhole would prevent them from seeing stars. (They couldnā€™t see stars that are behind the event horizon, but I think they would be able to see all the rest.) Unless youā€™re saying that their system is just not anywhere near other stars. (I think that technically, stars tend to clump together to form galaxies due to their gravitational pull on each other, but there probably could be exceptional circumstances that allowed a star to be on its own.)

You could probably come up with some magical explanations that deal with most of these issues.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                āœØ Magic System Creator
                                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
                                @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

On the topic of time telling, since a blackhole would probably only block light from stars behind it, that would allow them to measure days, because the visibility of stars would fluctuate on a daily basis.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                  āœØ Magic System Creator
                                  šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >