Word processing software

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Word processing software

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ivy Rose
    @ivy-rose
      • Total Posts: 102

Has anyone used a word processing software other than Word or Pages? I’m thinking about getting Storyist, which I hear is similar to Scrivener. However, $60 is a lot of money (yes I’m kicking myself for not buying it with my NaNo discount before that expired) and I want to make sure that it would actually be helpful.

The main reason I have for wanting to get Storyist is for the thousands of little notes I make to myself as I’m writing for when I go back through and edit. From what I understand, I could have those notes sitting in the same window as my text (in their own little box) so that as I’m reading, I could be reminded of scenes that need to be added, overused words to delete, and dates that I messed up first time around.

If anyone has insight or experience with either of these programs, I would be grateful!

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

I use scrivener. I’m not sure how it compares with Storyist, but I think you can make notes for yourself similar to what you are talking about. Honestly, I hardly use any of scrivener’s features.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anna Brie
        @anna-brie
          • Total Posts: 312

I’ve used ywriter. It’s not got as much functionality as scrivener, but it’s free. I haven’t used it much though, since I’m writing by hand. I got the scrivener free trial and I’ve only looked at it a couple of times. Probably because I don’t want it to run out, but then it’s not much use just sitting there.
          http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

Sarah Margaret
          @sarah-margaret
            • Total Posts: 2

Have you ever tried Google Docs? (Free, but online. I think you can get a download tho). Or Judoom? I’m not sure if that’s still free or not, but I love it because you can have “tabs” of documents. 😀

Ivy Rose
            @ivy-rose
              • Total Posts: 102

Thanks for the info @Daeus.

I’ll have to check out ywriter. Thanks Anna!

@Sarah-margaret
              “Tabs” of documents?!?! Now that’s what I need! I had 7 word docs open last night. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >