Wix or WordPress?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Wix or WordPress?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    soleilnaia
    @soleilnaia
      • Total Posts: 32

Hey y’all! Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Which do you prefer: Wix or WordPress (self-hosted)? And why? Pros and cons and all that fun stuff.

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3202

@soleilnaia

Great question!!

To which I don’t have the answer. Lol 😅

I think @gracie-j and @r-m-archer may have websites/blogs. They may be able to offer some insight on this. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Jayna Baas
        @booksbyjayna
          • Total Posts: 93

Hey y’all! Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Which do you prefer: Wix or WordPress (self-hosted)? And why? Pros and cons and all that fun stuff.

@soleilnaia
          Definitely the self-hosted WordPress. It’s much more flexible and robust, with lots more plugin options, and it’s more effective for search engine optimization. Plus it’s probably cheaper in the long run, since you’ll have to pay for Wix to keep ads off your page. BlueHost is the recommended hosting platform, though some also use SiteGround or DreamHost. Use NameCheap for your domain registration. I recommend checking out Thomas Umstattd Jr.’s articles on AuthorMedia.com (the blog has a whole category on platform building and a subcategory on author websites). I would have gone this route with my site if I hadn’t already had a website established before I learned all this. 🙂

​Jayna Baas
          Christian Author/Editor
          www.booksbyjayna.com

soleilnaia
          @soleilnaia

@booksbyjayna Thank you so much! This is awesome 🙂

By the way, has anyone ever heard of Cloudways? Is it any good? I’ve heard it’s similar to Bluehost or more secure or…something. I think it’s the same price as Bluehost after Bluehost’s prices go up the second year.

Jayna Baas
            @booksbyjayna
              • Total Posts: 93

Thank you so much! This is awesome 🙂 By the way, has anyone ever heard of Cloudways? Is it any good? I’ve heard it’s similar to Bluehost or more secure or…something. I think it’s the same price as Bluehost after Bluehost’s prices go up the second year.

@soleilnaia
              Sorry it took me so long to respond again. I haven’t heard of Cloudways. Actually, since our last conversation here, I’ve been doing a lot of research on websites because the service I’m currently using is getting a little glitchy (I’m on a legacy plan anyway, so who knows when that might go away entirely). It looks like Dreamhost is significantly cheaper than Bluehost for the same or better benefits, so I plan to go that route. Another thing to keep in mind (something a family member pointed out to me) is that software and other online products often go on sale for Cyber Monday, so that may be a good time to purchase things like the Divi website theme, which is usually $249 lifetime but appears to have good Cyber Monday sales. Unlike physical products, software can’t be reduced in quality for Black Friday–Cyber Monday sales, so it’s a good time to buy.

​Jayna Baas
              Christian Author/Editor
              www.booksbyjayna.com

soleilnaia
              @soleilnaia

@booksbyjayna

It looks like Dreamhost is significantly cheaper than Bluehost for the same or better benefits, so I plan to go that route. Another thing to keep in mind (something a family member pointed out to me) is that software and other online products often go on sale for Cyber Monday, so that may be a good time to purchase things like the Divi website theme, which is usually $249 lifetime but appears to have good Cyber Monday sales.

Solid ideas. Thanks so much for sharing! I’ll have to look into Dreamhost sometime.

CanadaLily
                @canadalily
                  • Total Posts: 15

Hmm… I am currently using Wix, partially because my parents have both dabbled in it some, as have I, and to me it seems pretty intuitive.

It is true that you have to pay for a Wix plan if you don’t want their ad at the top, but I am pretty sure with WordPress, you have to pay if you don’t want random ads on your site, some of which are inappropriate. That is one of the reasons that I chose Wix, since it is just a clean banner advertising Wix.

soleilnaia
                  @soleilnaia

@canadalily thanks for the tips! 😀

CanadaLily
                    @canadalily
                      • Total Posts: 15

Your’e welcome. I know you’ve probably already got your site up and running, I just added to the conversation in case someone else is considering these things as well. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >