WIP Questions

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Linus Smallprint
    @linus-smallprint
      • Total Posts: 398
      Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 2535

@whalekeeper

oooh yesss!!! Sorry, idk why I didn’t see this sooner xD

1. Summarize your project in a paragraph or two! Like on the back of a book.

(Everyone just ignore the fact that I still don’t really know what to call this novel)

The Pythonos have stolen Sef’s mother and sister, leaving her to live with Iver, an abusive drunk that neglects her, squandering his few agates on one more sip of alcohol.

As her faith crumbles, she falls deeper and deeper into darkness, and the whispering lies in her head grow stronger.

But what if she doesn’t have to believe the lies? What if she’s stronger than she knows, than any of them could imagine?

Lilitu tries to find himself in a world that’s filled with confusion.

He constantly strives to prove himself to his adoptive family, always haunted by the fact that his biological parents threw him to the wolves as a small child.

But he can’t shake the feeling that he isn’t good enough, for them, or for the Great One.

Can he find the truth before it’s too late?

2. Who is your hero, and why? What is their personality?

I have 5 main characters (characters that have a POV in the story) but my “main main characters” are Lilitu and Sef.

Sef is really sweet, quiet, and shy. It’s hard for her to open up to people and trust people.

Lilitu has big emotions. He struggles to keep his temper in check when he is passionate about something important to him. But he is kind and loving and cares for Sef like no other!

(Sef and Lilitu are my favorite ship of all time… #LefseForever!

3  What is your story’s genre?

It’s an allegory set as a fantasy. Some people might consider it sci-fi because of the different races (and the fact that the Pythonos have guns and technology superior to the other races), but I like to think of it as fantasy. It’s kind of a mixing of several genres. I still don’t know exactly what to call it, lol.

4. Who is your favorite character to write and why?

Sef, because she reminds me of myself. Not her backstory, or being abused, but her mental struggles are sooo me!

5. If your project was a combination of colors, what colors would it be?

Green, grey, brown, blue, a hint of purple.

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
        @savannah_grace2009

A board I made for my WIP:

Lukas&Livia
          #Lalbert
          Sef&Chase
          #HOTTOLINE
          LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

whaley
          @whalekeeper
            • Total Posts: 3144

I’ve read everyone’s posts and enjoyed them! :] This is mainly a place for people to find info on these projects and enjoy answering questions. I’ll post more questions here and there.

What outer plot is your protagonist/s dealing with?

If you were plopped into your project’s universe, would the characters love you or hate you? Why?

How did your project begin, and/or how much has it changed? Why do you think that is?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by whaley.

“Everything is a mountain”

TheShadow
            @theshadow
              • Total Posts: 305

@whalekeeper

Thanks for the tag, I’ll probably answer the old questions tomorrow if that’s okay.

"No! Monkeys should have pets, all monkeys should have pets!"

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009

*casually looks up what an outer plot is* I really need to learn more writing terms!! 😬😬😬

If you were plopped into your project’s universe, would the characters love you or hate you? Why?

I honestly don’t know! They probably wouldn’t even notice me…I tend to think of myself as annoying XD

How did your project begin, and/or how much has it changed? Why do you think that is?

Well…um….

So last year (2023) I had to write a story for school, and I decided to make it into a novel. It was about another world called Andromeda, and 4 kids that had been kidnapped when they were little, and taken to Earth.

Then one day, two of them discovered a portal, and got transported to Andromeda, where they learned that their world was in crisis (and that they were the Forgotten Ones, which I never actually figured out what that meant). With the help of Lilitu, a ten foot tall, purple slimy monster, they eventually broke the curse and locked the Traitor in a castle forever.

There’s more…but it’s not really worth sharing xD

I realized that it was ALL OVER THE PLACE so I got rid of the 4 kids and focused on Sef and Lilitu instead. And then I started praying about it and everything came together!

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Linus Smallprint
                @linus-smallprint
                  • Total Posts: 398

@whalekeeper

More questions!

All right, here we go:

Not entirely sure what outer plot means, but I have an idea and I will try to answer this question from that.

The outer plot of TNPT involves finding redemption in The Saviour and clinging to him down the narrow path, no matter what the cost, no matter what temptation magic or anything else provides, no matter how much easier it would be to give in. Alan’s journey is also one of humility, starting by trying to save himself by glorifying himself but learning to trust in and glorify The Saviour instead. These plots will also be reflected in other character’s journies.

I think most of the characters would get along with me. Most of them are me in some way, whether in interests, fears, or quirks. I also tend to get along with most people, since I am eager to please others, try to be polite, and am willing to hear their side of things. There of course would be some who would not like me, and there would be some who I would not like, but I think I would generally get along with them. However, there is one character who comes to mind that I probably would not get along with.

A kentor character named Tyn Meritinox, one of my protagonist’s few friends, would not like me much. I also am forgetful and my mind tends to jump several dimensions away, which she would find annoying as she is always in the moment and very much aware of things around her. My sense of humour would also annoy her. Now these traits are in my protagonist, Alan, so why would she hate me? Both of Tyn and I hate being controlled, and as a result, can be somewhat controlling, and we would make an awful team. Burt worst of all would be that if Tyn ever found out I was the author and came up with her, she would probably freak out, blame me for her kentor instincts (something that limits her a lot), and maybe even kick me with those deer-like hooves she has in an act of defiance (If a kentor has never kicked you, please know that it is something to avoid. You are not missing out).

My project began from several different threads. One I have already told you about was a boy who had a monster for a father and was part monster himself, inspired by the artwork of Mr. Tummnus. I also was very much into drawing fantasy characters at the time and making stories about them in my head. Up to this point, they were all about guys who get cool animal superpowers and use them to save the day in awesome ways! Oh, yeah! (These ideas have since been thrown out and will never see the light of day again). But this is when I decided that my stories were not just to be. Influenced by Narnia again, I decided I wanted to write a Christian fantasy story that glorified God. Another thing was that I was getting annoyed by a certain trope. I don’t yet want to say what this trope is, because this does have to do with my climax, but I wanted to take a different approach to it. These ideas all came together to be the work I currently call The Narrow Path Trilogy.

I should mention at this time I was doing horribly in English and thought I could never be a writer since I did not even know how to write an essay (I was in grade 10/11 at the time). However, I did know I had a story worth telling. I resolved that someday, I would ask my sister (who also wants to be a writer) to write it down and then illustrate it. Eventually, I discovered I could actually write, and started working on it myself.

My story world and some of the characters have changed quite a bit. Alan’s name was first Marcus. I originally had Greek mythology creatures in the story like Narnia. One day, I decided to research these creatures and find out what they were. I was not impressed with the results and took them out, and came up with my human-animal hybrids. While the story was forming, it took me a very long time to figure out why Alan’s father was a monster and why that resulted in him becoming a monster himself. I eventually had the idea of an evil magic that twists its users into crow-like monsters, which is how my wizards came to be. Once I had that set in place, I was able to develop Alan further. Roles of side characters have also changed. In my first draft, there were a couple of side characters who had much larger roles. That did not work out very well and they now have smaller roles until the second book. One of these characters turned out to be a disastor and I almost removed him (Whiny! Static! Unlikable!), but I discovered if I made some changes to him and his arc, he would actually add a lot to the second and third books. However, the core story has always been there.

whaley
                  @whalekeeper

*casually looks up what an outer plot is*

@everyone Jumping in to clarify what I meant! 😅 I made up this term but I guess it wasn’t obvious.

*Outer plot. Not the inner plot/conflict, which is the character’s growth and inner struggle. This is plot that happens on the outside. For example, in Wingfeather Saga, the inner struggle for Janner is accepting the strength of family, his role as Throne Warden, and the Maker. The outer plot/struggle is escaping the Fangs, protecting his siblings to keep the family line alive, and defeating Gnag the Nameless.

Trailblazer
                    @trailblazer
                      • Total Posts: 648

@whalekeeper

I am finally jumping on here but I’m still sort of undecided which WIP I want to highlight… I feel like most of my WIP’s are either incomplete or I haven’t fully fleshed out the plot yet… or I’m considering turning into a series rather than one book but don’t really know yet. OK, I think I know which one I’ll do. Here we go! I don’t have a title for it yet (I don’t like titling things until the very end).

1. Summarize your project in a paragraph or two! Like on the back of a book.

Nebraska, 1883. Thirteen-year-old Libbie Hopkins is leaving the only home she’s ever known and journeying westward with her family for a fresh start in the Midwest. Libbie is unprepared for the challenges they will face, but those challenges push her into friendship with Etta Culliver, the daughter of a family they journeyed with. Together the girls face the frontier, a stern schoolmaster, and a bully, becoming nearly inseparable- until unforeseen circumstances drive a wedge between them. Libbie must make a choice- will she realize how valuable the friendship is and rebuild bridges of trust, or allow her own stubborn pride to separate them forever?

2. Who is your hero, and why? What is their personality?

Libbie Hopkins is the MC. She tends to see the bright side of things, and can be a bit of a tomboy, as she spends a lot of time with her brothers. She has a stubborn streak and holds grudges easily, but most of the time she has a sunny disposition and friendly nature.

3  What is your story’s genre?

Historical fiction

4. Who is your favorite character to write and why?

Well, I think I’d say Libbie, because she’s my main character and the one I’ve developed the most. But aside from her, I’d say either Etta or Albert (sister and brother). Etta is less outgoing by nature, so I relate to her well, and Albert is just a lot of fun to write.

5. If your project was a combination of colors, what colors would it be?

Probably a mix of golden, red, and blue hues… prairie vibes, you know?

The challenges of settling on the frontier, building a home, planting crops, facing the variable weather changes, trying to fit in to a community.

I get along with almost everyone, so I doubt they’d hate me.

I was a huge fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder as a child, and still enjoy that time period. I had actually started a different historical fiction and then got an idea to write stories in different time periods with that MC’s descendants. This is the only story that actually made it past a few paragraphs. It hasn’t changed much since it began, because I really didn’t have much of a plot to begin with. It sort of just took on a life of its own.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

-GRCR-
                      @grcr
                        • Total Posts: 1144

Ah, ok… so… finding teammates, building a team…? Um, it’s strange, but I’m still kinda developing outer plot…

If you were plopped into your project’s universe, would the characters love you or hate you?

Depends on the character, but a majority of them would probably like me, yet they probably wouldn’t really talk to me… 😎

This is a VERY long story, and my book has changed nearly 80%.

TPE began with the characters—even before a plot of any kind (which is probably why I’m still having outer plot issues)—and it began during a RP with my siblings. My protagonists were actually antagonists, and their backstories were all based around dysfunctional situations—particularly Blaine Gretchen, who had physically abusive, alcoholic parents. The characters used to bully a different warrior team of mine, and they all shared kind of a “never got love, never give love” stance—which was what inforced their villain-vibes, at least in my opinion. There wasn’t too much of a storyline… or at least that I can think of…

Then I fell in love with all of them and it all changed… DRASTICALLY. 😅

I feel like TPE has also changed a lot as I’ve gotten older and my perspective changes. Also getting opinions and help from my family has been helping me deepen the basic plot idea I have, so that it is no longer just a written version of the silly rping my siblings and I did.

Fin knew. Riker knew.
                        Fin wasn’t afraid. Riker was terrified.

whaley
                        @whalekeeper

*Peeps into the room* Ah, I forgot all about this. Hopefully people are still interested, so I am going to give you more questions. I’m very interested in your response to the last question. 😁

What music genre (or musical sound) would your project be?

What is a piece of lore in your story which will probably never be mentioned in the finished product?

If you could describe your prose style in a very few words, what would they be?

What creative tip would you give to your younger self?

Do you believe in the old writing phrase, ‘kill your darlings?’ (It means to get rid of an idea, even a character, if they aren’t helping the story at all.)

The Ducktator
                          @theducktator
                            • Total Posts: 723

@whalekeeper

Oops, I forgot about this. I will try to get around to answering everything later this week!

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >