WIP Question

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical WIP Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LandriC
    @landric
      • Total Posts: 105

Hi!

I’m working on my Revolutionary War WIP (I previously posted it if anyone wants a refresher of what it’s about. Check the Idea Poll post from a couple months ago ;)) I’ve started writing it in 3rd person, but I wondered if I should do 1st person. I know all of you don’t write historical fiction, but do you/would you prefer 1st or 3rd person in a historical fiction novel?

Thanks guys!

@esther-c
      @power @kyronthearcanin @freedomwriter76 @orielle-21 @gwyndalf-the-wise @elishavet-pidyon @felicity @mineralizedwritings @theloonyone

"To death or to victory"

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3205

@landric

I’d say that it definitely depends upon the theme you’re trying to convey and the story itself. If the theme is more personal to the MC or POV character, then I’d go for first person. (But then, aren’t all themes personal to the MCs??? 😂 Idk. XD) And it depends on the story. I remember hearing about your WIP and I think you mentioned that you would have it in third person but with the character’s diary entries from time to time. I like that idea the best. I would enjoy reading it when it has a little bit a first person, but mostly third person. 🙂 (Even though I would enjoy reading it either way. 😉 )

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Esther.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2794

I personally don’t have a preference! I think every story has a different vibe and needs different things, so idk! I think 3rd person can be just as personal as 1st person depending on how you show the charcaters thoughts and feelings.

へびは かっこいい です!

LandriC
          @landric
            • Total Posts: 105

@esther-c

Thank you for recalling that! I forgot to mention in my first post that there would be diary entries in first person. I’m mostly just trying to decide if the first person should carry all the way through, but thanks for the input! I’m leaning more toward 3rd person too, but I definitely think I’ll keep the entries so that readers can get a clear view into my MC’s thought process. She’s going to undergo a lot of idea changes, so that’ll be important.

@mineralizedwritings
            Thanks for the input! I agree, I definitely need a personal feel for this story.

"To death or to victory"

Esther
            @esther-c
              • Total Posts: 3205

@landric

You’re so welcome!! 😀

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Felicity
              @felicity
                • Total Posts: 811

@landric

I’m going to echo Mineralized. Either one would work, depending on the feel you want for your story. I have written historical fiction in both POVs. Also, I think maybe Jayna would be able to give us some insight on how to tell which POV is right for your story so…. @booksbyjayna (sorry to put you on the spot…)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Felicity.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Karissa Chmil
                @karissa-chmil
                  • Total Posts: 96

@landric Most of the historical fiction I’ve read is in third person, so unless you have a strong reason to go with first, I might stick with third? Especially since that’s what your audience is expecting, and they probably like it better. 😋 But ooh, journal entries + third person sound excellent!

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >