Why write clean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 147

Hey y’all!! I know, I know. It’s been a LONG time, since I ever started a topic. But this I feel is important to bring up so we can dedicate our focus as writers to why we have this passion. And I encourage you all to take this new topic, and share your writing story. After-all, we thrive off of each other and sometimes the greatest thing you can gift someone is your testimony.

———————————————————————————————————————–

My writing story began with a book.

A singular book.

My mom has always engulfed me in clean, sound content.

But this book…I decided to read on my own. It was my decision. Like Eve, I was tempted to try something of my own. Something that I could cling to, something worldly that mad eye feel like I fit in.

It was horrible. It scared me.

Worse…I got my first glimpse of the evil world we live in.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There is so much GOOD in this world too. But, there also is so much evil. So much wrong.

So, I decided to make a change.

I began to write. And write. And write.

Write clean, morally sound content.

That is just a bit on my story….the very slim of it.

But this was meant for you guys and gals, not me. So, why do you write clean?

Whaley
      @whalekeeper
        • Total Posts: 2635

@wilder-w That’s a beautiful question 😊

First of all, I just want to say how relatable your story is. Something I’ve been trying to define for myself is how much unclean words we should read before it’s crossing the line. A lot of people are concerned about going to far. But you said, when we read that stuff, we’re exposed to the real world. And we need to know what’s evil before we can avoid it.

That’s why parents are wise when they protect their children from it. Young children aren’t equipped with making good, active decisions. But at some point, they just need to know. That’s when the real following-God stuff happens.

Sorry, I love rambling 😂 The purpose of that was explaining how much unclean stuff we should read.

As for me, I write clean because… Well, because it’s good and beautiful and true and what God wants. No bigger reason.

I LOVE stories that ring with truth, especially when it has a childlike wonder about it. It points to something better.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Anonymous

@whalekeeper AMEN!!!!! Please, feel free to ramble on!!! It’s encouraged here lol.

Yes, there are unclean works out there.

Honestly, it just hurts my heart knowing the content that we can put in our minds. If you look at it from a psychological standpoint, whatever we put in our brains, is eventually going to come out in our actions. Negative or positive.

I love your standpoints @whalekeeper! They are so true!! Also, if I may, you seem a bit on the newer side here. Or at least, I haven’t been fully introduced to you. So, without further ado, WELCOME!!!

My name is Wilder. I’m a bit of a crazy, weird person. I have many hobbies, but writing is one of my passions. I love gummy bears too….yup. That’s me. OH! I’m also the kind of person to disappear right off the bat no warning. So, don’t feel bad if I fall off the side of the earth lol.

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 8156

@wilder-w. Good to see you again! 😉

First off, amazing question!

Second, your story is so relatable.

And third, why do write clean fiction? Simply put, I write clean Christian fiction because I want my writing, my story, my characters, to honor God. I’ve (especially recently!) been hearing about all the horrible, HORRIBLE things being put into books, movies, etc. I want to be the person that can offer clean and wholesome books to people that want to avoid all the garbage. (Because I do!)

Especially, I want my books to be something that parents, grandparents, legal guardians, etc, can trust to be in their teen or preteen’s hands. Fiction that won’t compromise on their beliefs and won’t tear apart their child’s faith. Fiction that teens and preteens can read without their guardian having to worry about whether they are reading horrible things.

And also, since I write Historical-Fiction, I’m also changing things. So many books, especially about war, are often FULL of dirty things or just…dark. (Not all, of course! I’ve read many good His-Fic books, trust me!) But mine…no. Now yes, it is about the Holocaust, but I will not go into grim details about that. That’s for the parent/legal guardian to do. And…though the Holocaust may have been so very dark, I want my books to show that even amidst the darkness, there is hope. I want my books to show that even the ugliest, darkest moment can be turned into something beautiful. But only if we let God use it. 😉

That was a bit of a ramble. Sorry ’bout that.

Anonymous

@freedomwriter76 AWESOME TESTIMONY!!! And like I said, RAMBLE ON, PLEASE!!!! Yes!!!

Let all the glory be to God again!! Thank you Jesus.

Anonymous

@wilder-w. AMEN, SISTER! 😀

Yes, thank you, Lord. 🙏

But yes, that is why I write clean Historical Fiction. And, for me, as a History Nerd, it’s so, so ANNOYING when I’m trying to find good War books and Movies, because, like, it’s just so often so…dirty, y’know? But I love learning about War. 😔 BUT! That’s why I’m writing my books, so…yay! 🥳

Anonymous

@freedomwriter76 Feel ya there, sister. Feel ya.

Anonymous

@wilder-w. Also, don’t know if I ever said this, but I LOVE your signature. It’s so true. And it speaks to me, cause I have a tendency to hide emotions and tears. 🙂 So, I LOVE your signature. It’s a good reminder to us all. 😀

Anonymous

@freedomwriter76 Ah yes!!! It’s a quote from my fav artist: The Young Escape. Their song, Broken is Beautiful. It touched my heart. It reminds us that we don’t have to go one alone. We can always have backup. We are never alone.

Anonymous

@wilder-w. I need to check out that song! And yes, thank you for the reminder. 🙂

Koshka
                        @koshka
                          • Total Posts: 1427

@wilder-w

Oh dear. Why do I write?

Because if I didn’t my head would explode from the pressure of keeping all these tales inside it?

Probably not.

But then again, maybe?

Hmm…

I write because I want to reach, to become a light house to some storm caught vessel, and I write clean because I want this light to shine clear. And besides I wouldn’t think of doing otherwise. If I wouldn’t read it, why would I write it?

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Anonymous

@koshka AMEN!!! This little light of mine, let it shine!!! Lol!!!

Koshka
                            @koshka
                              • Total Posts: 1427

@wilder-w

Let it shine

Let it shine

Let it shine!

Uh, =)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Queen_of_Alvastia
                              @queen_of_alvastia
                                • Total Posts: 612

@wilder-w

🥰#TorrynVelgardProtectionSquad🥰

Karissa Chmil
                                @karissa-chmil
                                  • Total Posts: 96

Ooh. . . I have thoughts on this. XD

(Content Warnings: Mentions of rape, sexual abuse, suicide, witchcraft)

I would actually challenge the idea that we have to write clean merely because we’re Christians. Take a look at some of the topics the Bible covers:

– Rape and sexual abuse

– Suicide

– Wars and entire peoples being wiped out

– Evil and darkness at their basest forms

– Idol-worship and witchcraft

– Brutal murder

And that’s only the general. Especially in the OT, there are a ton of really dark and disturbing things that take place in the Bible.

I believe that as Christian writers, we have a responsibility to tell the truth, and to tell it as beautifully as we can. To fully illuminate the light, we have to show the darkness.

These things are real. Maybe our readers are going through it themselves and need a story that can meet them where they are. Maybe they need to have a little shake to remind them that these things are real, to spur them to action in spreading the light to all these dark corners.

Does this mean that every book has to be jam-packed with darkness? Not at all. There are multiple reasons not to do that:

1. The audience we’re writing for. Something for pre-teens probably doesn’t need to focus on sexual abuse.

2. Where the writer is at. There are periods in all of our lives when to write about darkness would not be a good decision. We need to have wisdom about when we write about what.

3. Balance. There is darkness in this world, and there is light. All stories should acknowledge both, but some can let more darkness in than others. I love light-hearted stories that I can relax in. They need to be good, but it’s okay if they focus on some more light-hearted things.

4. What the writer can do. I am not going to be the best person to write about sexual abuse since neither I nor anyone I know closely has gone through something like that. But suicide I can write about, because a lot of my friends struggle with suicidal thoughts.

We need to be very prayerful and finding godly counsel before writing about these things, as well as soaking ourselves in the Word as we go so that the darkness doesn’t overwhelm us.

And whenever we do write about these things, we need to be very careful not to leave the reader with the darkness. Find hope in these things. Find light in these things. Find restoration in these things. Telling the truth means more than acknowledging the dark; it means acknowledging the light as well. Remind your readers that light exists, and that light will win.

To conclude: These topics are real. People are writing about them; why shouldn’t we have Christians writing about them to to do so in a God-honoring way that the general market won’t? People are going through these things. I believe that stories should meet them where they are if they want to properly lead them back to the light.

There’s my rambling thoughts. XP I do want to note, though, that all of your opinions are valid and writing about these topics is not for everyone. <3 I’m not trying to attack anyone, just sort through a few things with Jesus-following friends.

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >