Wholesome Exclamations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Wholesome Exclamations

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Linus Smallprint
    @linus-smallprint
      • Total Posts: 401

An interesting question for you all.

I have a character in my book who I feel would express herself through exclamations. I feel like she would go beyond groans and grunts. Now as a Christian writer, this gets a little tricky. While this character may say some things that are not building up and edifying (we all do after all), there is still a line to avoid crossing. Swearing and taking the Lord’s name in vain should be avoided, of course. I also would like to avoid words that some might replace these with (such as gosh, darn, and heck), this to me feels like trying to say bad things without saying them and gets too close to the line.

So my question for you is, how can this character express her frustrations without even hinting at swearing or taking the Lord’s name in vain?

I do have one possible answer, in which she exclaims ‘Lyen Names!’. For those of you who are unfamiliar with my world, lyens are known to be terrible when it comes to names. They usually take a word related to ‘lion’ and change the spelling. To exclaim ‘Lyen Names!’ is to say that you have been as dumb as a lyen when it comes to names. It is insulting to lyens, of course. What do you all think of exclamations like this?

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2974

It’s hard to find ones that sound natural, especially for really riveting situations.

I could suggest ‘Snap!’ or ‘oh snap!” because I never think of swear words when I hear them, but no character in their right mind would exclaim such a thing during the climax. How about a scream of desperation? Seriously, it’s a real thing. There’s video’s of pro rock climbers “power screaming” to work up the strength to hold onto the wall.

“Goodness me” or “Goodness gracious” could go in the same category, but yeah only for certain situations. “You’ve got to be kidding me” is another good one.

I don’t mind made up exclamations in kids books but I’d have a hard time reading them in something serious. I know, it’s really too bad. I wish there was something more forceful that wasn’t worldly, because in writing sometimes it feels the moment calls for it.

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle
          • Total Posts: 1103

@linus-smallprint

Some of my pets are “Good grief” which can be an exclamation, a groan, or an angry shout. Also “Shoot,”  “Arrrrgh!” (Like a pirate,) which can be used in times of frustration. “Blast” “Oh Blast” and “Blast it!” which are all British. Also “Cripes” or “Crikey!” and also “Fay’s teeth!” (A dangerous type of fairy in Scottish lore that is known for killing and kidnapping.)

Those would be my suggestions. I run into the same problem you do. lol.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Sara
          @savannah_grace2009
            • Total Posts: 2535

@linus-smallprint

My mom says “good gravy!” XD XD

I have a friend who once said “I don’t give two flying squirrels”. I mean it kind of is like you’re trying to cuss without actually doing it, but I still thought it was funny lol

I just make up swear words with my fantasy language. That way my characters can “swear” without actually being offensive to my readers. Of course it doesn’t change the fact that they are cursing, but it’s a little more harmless than saying actual bad words.

Sometimes my characters do take God’s name in vain…it shows that they aren’t perfect. Swearing is something that a lot of people struggle with, even though they’re a Christian, so it gives characters a little more depth.

But it totally depends on what you’re comfortable with, and between you and God what you write about.

Hopefully that makes sense XD XD

Lukas&Livia
            #Lalbert
            Sef&Chase
            #HOTTOLINE
            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

TheShadow
            @theshadow
              • Total Posts: 306

@linus-smallprint

Hmm, yeah this specific topic can be hard. “Great snakes” is one exclamation I don’t think sounds like a swear word. Shakespearean words may also be a good substitute, although they might sound a little silly. “Balderdash” and “zounds” could be used too.

"No! Monkeys should have pets, all monkeys should have pets!"

Linus Smallprint
              @linus-smallprint

@mineralizedwritings, @ellette-giselle, @savannah_grace2009, @theshadow

Thank you for your help. I think this gives me some ideas. Not all of these seem to fit my character, so I may try to lean into sarcasm as I feel that this fits better. “Great. Just Great.” However, I think you have given me some ideas for some other characters as well. Words like ‘Zounds!’, ‘Zoinks!’, and ‘Bonzer!’ are only exclamations of surprise or delight, just like ‘Wow!’ Looking them up I don’t see any attached bad meaning, so I think these would work for a more excitable character. “Balderdash” means nonsense, so I think I might find a use for that one. Another one I thought of was “Oh come on!” Screams of rage will also work in more tense situations. I am still curious to know what you think of ‘Lyen names!” provided there is an explanation in the text.

Ellette Giselle
                @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

I think “Lyen names” is fine. It’ like “Fay’s teeth” from what I understand.

TheShadow
                  @theshadow

@linus-smallprint

“Lyen names” is good, especially if it works for your world. Random thought, this topic reminded me of a character from Tintin, he usually says “blistering barnacles!”

Linus Smallprint
                    @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle and @theshadow

All right, thank you for your feedback!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Linus Smallprint. Reason: Typo
                      Ellette Giselle
                      @ellette-giselle

@theshadow

“blistering barnacles!”

CAPTAIN HADDOCK !!!! Yay!!! I LOVE TINTIN!!!

TheShadow
                        @theshadow

@ellette-giselle

CAPTAIN HADDOCK !!!! Yay!!! I LOVE TINTIN!!!

YES, another Tintin fan!!!! I LOVE TINTIN TOO!!!!

The Ducktator
                          @theducktator
                            • Total Posts: 726

@theshadow @ellette-giselle

Yes, Tintin is amazing!!!

🎵How many toes does a fish have, and how many wings on a cow? I wonder, yup, I wonder!🎵

TheShadow
                            @theshadow

@theducktator

Yessss!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >