When is it okay to defy the government?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics When is it okay to defy the government?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Daisy Torres
    @daisy-torres
      • Total Posts: 691

@faith-q That is a very good question, and one I’ve asked myself a few times haha.

To answer your question, I would look in the Bible.

Esther defied Haman, who wasn’t a king, but he was apart of the rulership in the monarchy. She played a major role in having him executed.

All throughout the old testament, (which, granted, things are different now, but I’ll still pull some instances from there) there were people God told to kill, often times rulers.

In the old testament, when a king was evil a disobeyed God, or tried to desecrate the Temple, it was shown in a positive light when the king was killed.

I’m not sure that these examples were much help, but I hope you’re able to find your answer! I’ve struggled with this question before, but in the end, I just figured that my story was just a story and that the event wasn’t truly happening, and go through with the rebellion against the king or whatever XD

Your story sounds really cool!! I wish you luck with it!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Anatra
      @anatra23
        • Total Posts: 211

@issawriter7

XD Thanks!

YAASS! They’re so good! How many have you seen? Which movie is your favorite?

Issabelle Perry
        @issawriter7
          • Total Posts: 976

@anatra23

Of course!!! 🙂

THEY ARE!!!!! I’ve seen one and two. Oooo that’s a hard one. I don’t know if I can pick one. I really LOVED number one because Shane Harper was in it, but then again, I just adored the plotline of number two following the teacher. I don’t think I can pick. XD I’m just gonna say both of them. Which one’s your favorite?

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
          TeenWritersNook.com

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            • Total Posts: 3875

@faith-q Here’s my ideas:

Like everyone else said, there’s a difference between obeying your ruler completely and respecting them as the Bible says.

If a leader tells you to steal or murder, will you? It goes against God’s law and is therefore wrong, no matter what earthly rulers may think or say. Think of Christians under Muslim or Communist governments. Those people hate Christianity and often won’t let them worship God in peace–or at all. But what do the Christians do? They disobey these governments and continue to do what’s right. They respect their leaders, but not the wrong laws.

I also have an example in my own stories:

In my novel Into the Forbidden Cavern, Commander Beck Fireheart was faced with a choice. His leader, Indy–who also happens to be the antagonist of the story–ordered him and his squadron to kill a whole city of unsuspecting Dragonmen. This was the latest in a list of unethical orders Fireheart had been forced to carry out, and this one was the last straw. Rather than murder his own kind, he chose to disobey.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Sara Ann {Spark}
            @sparksaraabbott11
              • Total Posts: 66

wow, you guys are doing great so I think I’ll not give my input since y’all already said it so well!!

music is the strongest form of magic.
              -Marilyn Manson

Anatra
              @anatra23
                • Total Posts: 211

@issawriter7

Mmm, as much as I loved One’s debate (and Harper B]) I’m a sucker for political shows like Two. I ate up the drama, and it has breached my top 10 moves that nearly made my eyes leak. So I’d have to say Two.  Tho I seriously need to rewatch them.

Power
                @power
                  • Total Posts: 292

From a total secular view point, the purpose for government is to protect the rights of the people. When it is not fulfilling it’s purpose the people have the right to annul the government and replace it. In short, power is given by the people, for the people.

You will love what you spend time with.

Madelyn
                  @madelyn
                    • Total Posts: 115

@faith-q

That is such a good question! I’ve seen it over and over again in books or films (*cough* Disney *cough*) where rebellion is wrongly glorified, and it’s really something that needs to be addressed.

Most people have already summed it up on this thread: respect your government and obey them UNLESS they order you to do something that is against God’s commandments.

I really have nothing more to add since it’s been covered so well, but I’d just like to share some Bible verses on this topic…

Romans 13:1 ESV
                    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

1 Peter 2:13-17 ESV
                    Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

Titus 3:1 ESV
                    Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

Romans 13:7 ESV
                    Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

Proverbs 21:1 ESV
                    The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.

Romans 12:18 ESV
                    If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Good luck with your story!!! 🙂

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Issabelle Perry
                    @issawriter7
                      • Total Posts: 976

@anatra23

YESS!!! I had actually watched two before number one, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen it, so I DEFINITELY need to do a re-watch too.

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                      TeenWritersNook.com

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >