What’s your favorite type of villain?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s your favorite type of villain?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm Same here! (Good to know. XD)

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Elfwing
      @elfwing
        • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

Ah ok, I figured. Sorry, I am TERRIBLE with figuring out names for charries. It’s like me trying to use the pain scale to tell the doctor how bad my pain is XD

Doctor: “So, your pain is, what, on a scale from 1 to 10?”

me: “Uhhh… five?” *silently “this is why I use Voltaren and don’t tell people. Stupid pain scale.” XD

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Elfwing
        @elfwing
          • Total Posts: 486

@gracie-j

i love your signature quote, btw! XD it’s great

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@elfwing Thank you!! 😀

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Morgan
            @morgan
              • Total Posts: 51

@kathleenramm

My favorite villain is either the villain who gets redeemed at the end or the one who is very clever. I like villains that I can sympathize with and ones that aren’t the typical “dumb” villain who gets beaten by the hero easily. Either type has to have a good reason to be a villain, however. I especially don’t like it when there is a villain who doesn’t have a good reason to be a villain but is just bad for no reason whatsoever. I don’t really know much about Loki, but from what I’ve heard, I imagine I would like him. Two villains I can think of that I like are Megamind and Grimmel from How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (although his motivation is a bit weak).

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

SeekeroftheTruth
              @seekerofthetruth
                • Total Posts: 19

I might have more than one type of favorite villain, but I think probably the scariest is one when a villain is seeking love (not romance, but platonic!).

You can think Erik/Phantom from The Phantom of the Opera for that thought.

Too often (no offense, please don’t get mad) we think of villains as always wanting and/or being hungry for power, wealth, and immortality, which is easy to identify and notice. But I’ve been thinking this over.

The reason why I chose this type of villain is that the villain acts insane or evil, just to gain someone’s attention, love, or acceptance.

That’s the same way with Erik, although everything he did was not just to protect his theatre, underground home, and the control he has over the staff and seasons, but also to win the love of Christine, a beautiful and potentially talented singer. His acts of “love” is when he kidnaps her (more than once), acts as a tutor (“Angel of Music”), and ultimately threatens to blow up the opera house (and everyone in it), along with Raoul and the Persian who are trapped in his torture chamber, if she doesn’t agree to marry him. However, Christine shows what love, kindness, and compassion are by willingly sacrificing her life (both figuratively and possibly literally) for the safety of others, willing to become a murderer’s bride. Moved by this compassion, Erik can’t bring himself to make Christine love him, as he realizes that love can’t be forced. He makes the decision to let her, Raoul, and the Persian go, thus disappearing to escape the authorities.

I think it’s interesting that love can sometimes be seen as a weakness in the eyes of the types of villains we know, but also seen as something longed for by those who are rare and have not experienced it.

There’s also Shredder; despite his hatred for Splinter and the Ninja Turtles, he holds some love for Karai, having raised her as his own daughter.

And Thanos; despite his insanity to wipe out have the population of the galaxy, he still held some love for Gamora and Nebula (two among his adopted children), as he was heartbroken for killing Gamora to receive the Soul Stone and regretful for his harsh treatment of Nebula whenever she lost a sparring match with Gamora.

So, probably an interesting way to put about a villain is:

“The scariest monster/villain of all, is the one who looks for love. Even if he/she believes that one has to kill to get it.”

I hope that this answer does not scare you.

I might have more than one favorite type of villain, so this might not be the only answer, lol!

Sami Eastwood
                @sami-eastwood
                  • Total Posts: 12

@kathleenramm

There are a lot of great villains out there. I am partial to the intelligent-but-increasingly-psychotic villain. The slow slip to insanity is where a lot of interesting things can happen to a person especially when they’re brilliant and mostly self-aware. I think I like it because it can happen, you know? Ordinary people can just snap. I think it makes the villain more human.

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” - Anne Shirley

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >