What’s your biggest excuse for not writing?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s your biggest excuse for not writing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s your biggest excuse for not writing? Why?

For me it’s sleep. I usually schedule my time for writing early in the morning before anyone is up, but sometimes I’m so slow to getting out of bed that by the time I’m dressed and ready, it’s way past time to write. Oops. I love writing and can make progress on a WIP even on my most uninspired days, But I’d be lying if I didn’t say that my terribly comfortable bed didn’t beat me from time to time. XD                 So yeah, that and distractions. They are my biggest nemesis to my short stories and novels right now.

So, what’s your biggest excuse you use when you don’t feel like writing?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm “I’m tired. I have homework. I’ll do it afterward. I’m not feeling it.”

Mainly those, honestly. But if I can force myself to start, I can force myself to finish.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Issabelle Perry
        @issawriter7
          • Total Posts: 976

@kathleenramm

My excuses are not very smart. It’s basically like ooooh, but this blog post, movie, book, etc., is just waaaaaaay more interesting!!! So, yeah, Is, if you don’t wanna do it there’s always tomorrow. (That was basically a snippet of my mind for ya. XD) For some strange reason my brain can’t come up with creative excuses. XD

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
          TeenWritersNook.com

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm

My biggest excuse is usually, “I need to do some more brainstorming first!” I can spend the longest time pacing my room thinking of exciting scenes and plot threads and going, “This story will be AWESOME!” (Maybe when I actually write stuff down, LOL.) I can spend forever outlining the novel and “forget” to actually write page one.

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer
              • Total Posts: 243

“I’m not invested in it.” Which I’ve found out is a legitimate issue that there are ways to get around, so yay! (A Teen’s Guide to Getting Stuff Done by Jennifer Shannon is a really handy book.) But yeah, I usually just don’t sit down to do it because “I don’t feel like it,” and then… I never feel like it, lol. But once I sit down anyway and get started, it goes just fine.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Abigail.M.
              @abigail-m
                • Total Posts: 1242

@kathleenramm

My biggest excuses are:

1# When I’m plagued by the infamous Writers Block and can’t think of anything for the life of me.

2# (I agree with Issabelle P.) When other things that are usually boring, start to become interesting.

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j
                  • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm Biggest excuse? Er…there are so many that I can’t choose just one! (Man, that sounds terrible!)

Probably my lack of time management abilitiesjust life. I only get one to two hours in the afternoons and roughly two hours before bed to write, since I’ve got six siblings and apparently really short days in Georgia. 😉 I’m doing chores all morning and then write blog posts, check my email, etc., while my youngest siblings nap (which can take two hours, so…). Then I’ll write what I can at night.

And then there is disinterest. Procrastination. Distraction. Lots of distraction. Namely Pinterest.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

Oof

*is feeling personally attacked* XD JK! But for me it’s just the fact that I end up doing something else or I’m tired. So I end up sitting on my bed on my phone or taking a nap or something.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

EpicAddie2
                    @epicaddie2
                      • Total Posts: 794

For me, it’s probably a lack of inspiration or… Youtube. XD When I don’t feel like writing I tend to get distracted very easily. My sleep schedule can be an issue too because I write best when it’s late, but I value sleep a lot so I often have to choose between writing and getting enough sleep.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                      aldarley.wordpress.com

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

Man, everyones replies are way too relatable. XD

@issawriter7

Well, if makes you feel any better, what you described is also a pretty accurate description of my brain.

@joy-caroline

Haha, yes, I totally relate to the “productive” procrastination. Like when I don’t feel like writing a scene so I just create character boards on Pinterest. You know, something VERY important and VITAL to making progress on your novel. *Shakes head disapprovingly at past and probably future self*. Character board are great and all, as long as they don’t take up most of my writing time. XD

@gracie-j

Yeah, I get you. I feel like I’m going to be mastering the skill of time management for the rest of my life.

Oh, and just curious, where in Georgia do you live? I’ve been there quite a few times, as my sister used to live there, and uh, hurricane evacuations. XD

@epicaddie2

Yeah, I feel like if I didn’t have a phone I would have written twice as many books. Which, is kinda sad now thinking about it.

ella
                        @nova21
                          • Total Posts: 604

Everything is my excuse.  “Time to exercise!”  “I’m going to lose my basketball skills if I don’t practice RIGHT NOW!”  “Oooh, someone replied to my post!”  “Nah, I’m not feeling it today…”  etc. etc. etc. 😂

So yeah, I am the QUEEN of procrastination!!! 😜  Gotta work on that…

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                          -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j
                            • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm No kidding.

I live in Bacon County (which is in southeast Georgia, about two hours away from Brunswick, Valdosta, and Savannah). Yeah, hurricanes are no joke down here. We’ve weathered quite a few, but since we’re about 75 miles from the coast, we have yet to had to evacuate. Where did your sister used to live?

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

EpicAddie2
                            @epicaddie2
                              • Total Posts: 794

@kathleenramm Likewise! Lately though it’s been my laptop that’s the biggest distraction. Which is a problem because my novel is on my laptop. *facepalm* Before, I could just turn my phone off and write on my laptop for hours but now I get so distracted. :/ I’m trying to work on that though.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                              aldarley.wordpress.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >