What’s the strangest book you’ve ever read?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s the strangest book you’ve ever read?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s the strangest book you’ve ever read? Did you like it? Why or why not?

Probably the strangest book I’ve ever read was a book I read awhile ago… Alice in Wonderland.

Take everything about a normal book then make it the complete opposite. That’s Alice in Wonderland for you.

One of my favorite things about this book is it’s a metaphor for entering adulthood and how bizarre, crazy and confusing it can be. I think the author of Alice and Wonderland talked about this at one point. Following a white rabbit with a clock and falling down a seemingly bottomless pit (growing up). The “Drink Me” drinks that make you either tiny or gigantic (society always deeming people as too small or big). And lots of stuff like that.

Anyways, lots of cool metaphors, but still a fever dream nonetheless. I enjoyed it, but didn’t love it. Probably because I’m more of a character kind of person and that wasn’t this story’s focus or point.

Still a good story tho, it deserves all the fame and movie adaptations it got.

What about you? What’s the strangest book you’ve read? What did you think about it?

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3868

Hmm! I’ve never read that one. I can think of many strange stories I’ve read/watched/listened to, but I think the weirdest I know are the ones I make up myself. I have far too many bizarre ideas.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Bethany
        @sparrowhawke
          • Total Posts: 30

Hmm, I don’t think any books I’ve read have been too strange. But I guess I’ll go with Motel of the Mysteries by David Macaulay. This is book is by the same guy who wrote The Way Things Work and those books about how pyramids and castles were designed that if you were homeschooled, you probably had to read. Anyways, Motel of the Mysteries  takes place way in the future when the USA, now known as the strange country of Usa, is buried in debris. An archaeologist uncovers an old motel and it’s all about him trying to figure out what all the ‘artifacts’ were used for. It’s pretty hilarious. Like they think a TV is some kind of way to communicate with the gods and a toilet seat is some kind of ceremonial headdress. The point of the book is to show us how a lot of what archaeologists say is just educated guesses–we don’t know a whole lot for sure.

Oh and I should mention that the book was written back in the 80s, so it has some obsolete tech XD

He also wrote another book, Baaa, that’s rather strange too. But it’s funny as well.

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I’m not sure if I’ve ever read something and thought, “That was strange.” But if I had to choose one I would choose Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I was pretty confused throughout it, haha. I like it ok, but definitely not my favorite. Fahrenheit 451 all the way. Also, the way I read the synopsis and the way I thought that the story would play out went very differently. I think if I were to write a story with that synopsis I would make it go a lot differently.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h

@sparrowhawke That actually sounds cool–and funny!

@devastate-lasting
              My dad read Fahrenheit 451 once. I haven’t read it, though. I didn’t think it’d be that interesting.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Faith Q.
              @faith-q
                • Total Posts: 106

@sparrowhawke,

Yes, I totally agree with you on Motel of the Mysteries; it was hysterical! I haven’t read all the way through it yet, but I plan on it someday.

@kathleenramm

I think that honor would have to go to What We Found In The Sofa and How It Saved The World by Henry Clark. I have only one word to describe that book: bizarre. Like, really bizarre.

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@keilah-h Oh, it’s very good. Of course, it does require an acquired taste, but I love it a lot.

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h

Actually, I have a suggestion! The InvestiGators series by John Patrick Green. They’re a graphic novel series my brother loves. We first saw them at a gift shop at an alligator nature park–and they’re hilarious! They are kids books, and I realize many of you are adults, but I still recommend them. They’re about a pair of alligators, who also happen to be a special undercover investigation team (or “s.u.i.t.”–there are a lot of funny puns in the books). There are loads of bizarre things in it–like a talking robotic eyeball called C-Orb, lots of crazy technology like “Embiggeners” and radioactive cracker dough, and a man who was bitten by a rabid helicopter and turns into one when he is stressed. Did I also mention that the villain is a crocodile who was accidentally turned into a saltine cracker, then a waffle, then a statue?

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm
                      • Total Posts: 635

@keilah-h

Haha, yeah, I can relate. But the stranger the story the more fun it is to write right?

Do you have a favorite of all the strange stories you’ve written?

@sparrowhawke

That does sound like an really strange, but interesting book, haha.

My siblings and I often joke about certain things we have, do, or say that could be taken way out of context and changed into something totally off by future historians and archeologists. I didn’t know someone wrote a whole book with that concept, but it sounds like a fun book.

@devastate-lasting

Just by the brilliant title alone I can tell it would be on it’s own level of bizarre, haha.

Oh, I just looked it up and it’s Blade Runner, right? I heard a lot about it, but I forget if it was negative or positive, haha.

What direction did you think it would go when you read the synopsis?

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm I thought it was going to be more of a struggle between whether or not androids and humans have a difference and what it means to kill one… It took more of a 1984 direction, hhhh…

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@kathleenramm I like my Tron-Star Wars crossover, where I took the characters from my favorite show and the setting from my favorite movie and put them together. The characters are basically reenacting a modified version of the movie, but I really like writing it. I also like the stories where I made half-man, half-animal characters–people with cat ears or dragon wings and tails to go along with them. One of those stories even had half-dolphin people!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >